Brake Controllers

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Brake Controllers

So when I went to buy an adapter to tow a simple trailer with my Suburban I found out that I have a 5-pin round connector on the truck and no one really carries an adapter to 4-pin flat. Since I want to update this anyway, might as well add a brake controller since towing is one of the reasons I bought the Suburban in the first place.

Anyone have a recommendation for a brake controller that is of decent quality and suited to the occasional tow vs. something you'd put on a dedicated tow rig if there is such a thing?

Thanks
    Central TEXAS Sleeper
    USAF Physicist

ROA# 9790

I got mine used from a buddy and it seems to work OK. My guess is that they all work well these days - I think they're all inertial now so there may not bee a ton of difference.

Dan

Comment

This is what I have, never used a different one so really can't compare. Stay away from timed brake controlers. Hitting something or sliding the tires will not save you money.

Tekonsha Prodigy P2 Trailer Brake Controller 1 to 4 Axles 90885
      Last edited by Russell; April 21, 2017, 05:12 AM.
      http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
      1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
      ​​​​​​

Comment

do not get old.
        quite a shit storm of amps.

nearly killed my old half ton.

the new ones must play with real switching, diodes, rectify etc.
        Previously boxer3main
        the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

I like Tekonsha and have a couple of them. I think you have far better control with ones that tap the hydraulic lines - and are either NOS or used. Biggest issue I have with any of the inertia controllers is they never stop the same way twice. If you must, get the absolutely cheapest one you can - the stupider the controller, the easier it is to use and predict how it's gone to work.

About that 5 to 4 flat - Uhaul is the answer to that question. All of their trailers are 4 flat, so they carry all the adapters to go to 4 flat
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Working...
          X