Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Question about quality differences in front struts cheap or good?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Question about quality differences in front struts cheap or good?

I have to replace the struts in my daughter's 02 Escape. It has 177K miles and the car is a little beat up but still runs well and I think we'll be using it for a couple more years. If the car had less miles and pristine state, no question I'd buy good quality struts. I can pay in the $80 range per loaded strut and I know you get what you pay for. But exactly what is inferior? Is it just the ride is not as good, are they just going to wear out in 6 months or what? I'll spend the $160 or so per strut no issues if it's the right choice. I know someone here has some experience with struts. I do plan on getting the loaded ones no matter what. Here's a Rockauto link

RockAuto ships auto parts and body parts from over 300 manufacturers to customers' doors worldwide, all at warehouse prices. Easy to use parts catalog.
    Tom
    Overdrive is overrated

I would go with the KYB Complete assembly. Monroe and Gabriel QC has gone out the window.
    "I live for myself and I answer to nobody."

-Steve McQueen

Comment

I hadn't thought about them. I had them on my 66 Mustang, I absolutely hated them! Where in PA are you? I'm Wyoming county, above Scranton.
      Tom
      Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Just put KYB AGX's on the bullet...We ran a set of Monroes on the rear for 2 years... nuff said...
        Patrick & Tammy
        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano View Post
          I hadn't thought about them. I had them on my 66 Mustang, I absolutely hated them! Where in PA are you? I'm Wyoming county, above Scranton.

Hazleton.

-Steve McQueen

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
            Just put KYB AGX's on the bullet...We ran a set of Monroes on the rear for 2 years... nuff said...
            Last set we had they got blown out in less then 5 years. I went with KYB on the SS and now with the new coils in the rear it handles great, can't wait to put on the hotchkis front end parts.

-Steve McQueen

Comment

just my opinion--and you know what they say bout that, but....

"cheap things arent good, and good things arent cheap".

Comment

BMR and ZZP suspension components here....
                Patrick & Tammy
                - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

my subaru kills KYB.
                  I went right back to factory.. and the KYB was jumbo for a toyota truck.

buy anything. Ford does good anyway.
                  Previously boxer3main
                  the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Originally posted by fatguyzinc View Post
                    just my opinion--and you know what they say bout that, but....

"cheap things arent good, and good things arent cheap".
                    Oh, I agree. I'm just trying to balance quality with the time left this car has. If it's mainly like ride quality I'll go with the cheap ones. If it's just a quality and they're going to go bad and the bearings fall apart in 6 months, I'll go with the good ones. It's like water heaters. The difference between a 5 year and a 10 years is literally a couple hundred dollars. They're both exactly the same unit, you're just paying for a insurance policy. No difference in construction or material.
                    Tom
                    Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Not owned a car with struts yet . I have replaced the 87 vettes with KYB but its only been about a year .
                      Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

KYB may make good OEM type of shocks but I'd never use them for a performance shock. They're just too stiff. I had a them all around on my 66 Mustang for about 100 miles. It was about 100 miles too many. I'm using Bilsteins on the Mustang. Very happy with them. The Mustang's front suspension is all tubular with spherical ends along with relocated control arms.
                        Tom
                        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Working...
                        X