No announcement yet.

The word jeep

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Cherokee's up to 345,000 miles now (iirc)...yeah I've towed it a couple times...two, times...
    Last edited by Loren; April 11, 2017, 10:46 AM. Reason: added iirc

Comment

how many years has it taken to go that far?

Buy a new Jeep - it will make you forget all your troubles from your Chevy truck. Promise.

Let's recap. It's been in the dealership at least a dozen times for a coolant smell that eventually resulted in a blown head (it literally rattled a valve enough to break the casting), which resulted in them breaking the radiator, then fixing burned O2 sensor lines (because who can be bothered tying them up), and then today proved their incompetency by being unable to connect a fuel line. The service writer's words "well both the connector and the line look good so we don't know why it failed"... I'm getting better with age, I didn't call him an idiot to his face.... how hard is it to connect fuel lines? well, for anyone but a Fiat mechanic - pretty damn easy.
      Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

I'm not buying a Jeep, I'm gonna build my own.

Comment

Originally posted by SuperBuickGuy View Post
          Buy a new Jeep - it will make you forget all your troubles from your Chevy truck. Promise.
          Well...yeah I got no defense re: the new ones. Fiat bought the name, what they may be doing with it is, sticking it on Fiats.

Comment

All joking aside and without exaggeration - that Jeep just about killed my wife this morning. The fuel hose (supply side) "popped" off and dosed the engine compartment and exhaust with fuel. If the car had been warm - it blew right outside the garage door - it would have instantly turned into an inferno - and probably burned the house down too. Or, if she had been 100 yards down the driveway before it popped off - it would have instantly engulfed the vehicle in flames.

Joking aside, I'm quite angry about this and at this point I'm mostly doing my best not to rain a beating down on the 'best' mechanic at the Jeep dealership who pulled this crap.
            Last edited by SuperBuickGuy; April 11, 2017, 01:26 PM.

Comment

There's a difference between a car being built like crap and having a crap dealer locally. Sounds like you're facing both issues.

Had an old XJ. Last Chrysler I ever own. I've seen the new ones, and now am going to ensure that I never buy a Fiat, either.

Comment

Yet Jeep is the dual of win in that count. The vehicles are made like crap and their dealers are simply another level of that same crap.

Get this, they blame the connector for the failure.... of course it's not their fault. Of course, now I advertise for them..... buy anything but a Jeep.

Comment

Which Ford was it that had such a bad rap for rollovers on the highway? All of those years ago.....Y'all know what I'm talking about.....years ago....

I was on the interstate in upper South Carolina, driving to here in Tennessee....Sunday morning....Only one other car on the road, a Jeep Grand Cherokee. Coming the other direction. The driver drove it off of the road, drifted, drifted, okay now it's on the median grass, and I'm watching in the driver's side mirror.

The driver over-corrected....it was sliding sideways at 70 mph. It slid and slid and slid and slid and slid, skid marks, all the way across the road and tapped the right-hand guardrail before coming to a stop. Barely touched the guardrail. It did NOT roll over.
                  Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Wasn't that the Suzuki Samurai ?

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                      Wasn't that the Suzuki Samurai ?
                      I dunno, I'm thinking it was the Ford Explorer that was so fraught with rollover issues. I was at a business seminar, the Ford guys were there, two of them. During that time period Suits and ties. They were saying loud that 95% of the rollovers involved alcohol. They were doing their best to snowjob all of it.

That was back when everybody was arguing about tires as well, I think B.F. Goodrich was at the center of it. I think, that was a lot of years ago. I may be totally wrong. Not in fact, but maybe in exact details....
                      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

The Explorer was nicknamed the "Exploder" !

Comment

Firestone. It's always Firestone.. Thomas Edison, Henry Ford, and Harvey Firestone used to hang out a lot. The company relationship outlasted their time here.

I had one of those Exploders and managed to do some truly stupid things without rolling it or even putting it on two wheels. Some people can bust a bowling ball in a sand box, and the press loves a good controversy.

"They" said the same things about Jeeps back in the 70's, then Samurai's, then Explorers. A friend helped a couple of girls out of rolled Trailblazer in the McDonald's parking lot the other morning. You can't fix stupid by blaming it on the car.
                          Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
                            The Explorer was nicknamed the "Exploder" !
                            FIRESTONES? GOODRICH? I remember one of my tricks was used pickup tires from tire stores on my derby cars and one brand was not to be resold..

Exploders would get an exploding tire and lift the rig on it's side.. That maywell be the REASON why cars have less rubber more rim nowadays??

Comment

I had some 20 y.o. 15" Dunlop P-rated tires on my car hauler trailer, hauled some enormous loads of machinery with those ('way beyond what I should have) with no failure. Then "upgraded" to some SUV-takeoff newer ones, P225-65 R 16, probably 8 y.o. because they had been sitting in a neighbor's yard, same brand and style but a little bigger and thus better weight rating. I thought I was making an improvement. Bam, Bam, two of them exploded in about 500 miles just hauling cars. So I took them all off along with their wheels and put the old ones back on. Bam!, one more exploded just sitting in the pile in the driveway, I head it from the garage and it took some looking around to figure out where the noise came from. No question they were garbage compared to the older ones, although not Firestone they did date from the roll-over lawsuit era and any could have easily sent somebody tumbling under the right conditions. OEMs do have a role in setting the standards for the tires they installed, I think in those years the standards had something wrong with them and any supplier who let down to the level were producing crap.

Comment

Working...
                              X