New Pack Member

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Pack Member

ME has been wanting a smaller dog. King is getting to be an older boy (he'll be 8 in April and life expectancy is 12 years or so for a Standard) so we applied to Carolina Poodle Rescue and they found a little fella that they thought met our needs. So we went to north central South Carolina this weekend and decided to adopt Sammy (or Sammie - still to be determined). He's of undetermined age but likely 5 or so. He's having a bit of blood in his stool so we'll head to Dr. Bradler's tomorrow and get a workup and we hope she has a better guess at his age. So far he's being a good little fella and LOVES snuggling, an important skill for a little guy.

Kingsford is a little taken aback by this intruder. We get lots of looks like "When's this knothead going somewhere else?". We've told him it's forever but he's not yet ready to accept that, though a couple of episodes of spontaneous play have broken out. I'm pretty sure that sooner or later they'll be buds.

A new adventure begins.

The band around his middle is called a belly band. It has a pad under it and is supposed to limit territory marking as he settles in. We're letting him out a lot and watching him carefully for a few days then I hope we can ditch that thing. The adoption folks swear it's the way to go and I'm willing to try it.
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1553.jpg
Views:	32
Size:	273.1 KB
ID:	1140129
    Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1554.jpg
Views:	27
Size:	291.0 KB
ID:	1140130

And a shot of King, wondering what the heck is going on. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1555.jpg
Views:	28
Size:	318.9 KB
ID:	1140131

Woof!!

Dan
    Last edited by DanStokes; January 8, 2017, 02:53 PM.

He looks like he's thinking ......." I can't believe you , all these years of dedicated devotion an poof , you go find a new man's best friend " Good luck on convincing him there's no betrayal .
    Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

We still love the Kingsford and make a special effort to let him know that he's still Dog #1. But yes, he IS wondering what the heck is happening.

Dan

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes View Post
        The band around his middle is called a belly band. It has a pad under it and is supposed to limit territory marking as he settles in. We're letting him out a lot and watching him carefully for a few days then I hope we can ditch that thing. The adoption folks swear it's the way to go and I'm willing to try it.
        Oh come on ... It's a diaper !

Comment

cute little guy. they'll get along famously. 2 (or more males) get along just fine, it's the addition of a girl where they don't get along (true on so many levels). You can have multiple males, 2 females, or a male and a female.... but more then 2 females, or more then one male and a female and fights will happen.
          Doing it all wrong since 1966

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post

Oh come on ... It's a diaper !
            My thought, too. The idea is that it holds his little unit against his belly and supposedly if he wets himself he won't like the feeling and will learn not to do that. Like I said, we'll give it a try.

Dan

Comment

Sorta like learning NOT to pee against the wind, eh?

Glad I learned that one early on. Has helped immensely since.

Put me down for the Vet saying Sammy is 8 years old. Its hard to say from a distance, but I'm leaning to the wiser side of 5 based on pictures.

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

RESCUE dogs are the best.
                We have a 17 year old Alaskan Husky(the ugly one) 4 time Iditarod runner.
                A 14 year old Gordon Setter mix.
                And a 10 year old Catahoula Leopard Dog/Pit Bull mix.
                Plus a 70 year old Irish/English/Italian (me) in our house.

Nick

Comment

Originally posted by STINEY View Post

Put me down for the Vet saying Sammy is 8 years old. Its hard to say from a distance, but I'm leaning to the wiser side of 5 based on pictures.
                  Wrong-o! We went to the vet today and her best guess is 5ish, +/- a year. So we'll say 5 from this date forward. He does have blood in his poop but no evidence of parasites so that's good news. She things the little guy is all worked up with new people, new places, new things, new smells and his little belly is churning. So we have some meds to settle that down and plug him up a little (don't want to go TOO far with that!) and we'll keep a watch on him, of course.

We're doing something I've never done in my life before and caging him when we're not watching him (like, when we're sleeping) and we'll see if we can keep him from soiling the den. Gotta do something different than we've been doing. Stanley Steemer came today.

Dan

Comment

Glad to be wrong....great news.

I had never caged until the dog before last. She was simply unable to unwind, not destructive but unnerving and 24/7. Got a cage out of desperation, and the dog promptly walked into it, turned around twice, then sighed and laid down all in one motion. First time she had relaxed in weeks, turned out she just needed her own space defined. Some dogs have different needs.
                    Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I am a believer in cages! They do not like soiling their beds.
                      "Ginger box" (get in your box). They go right in..
                      First year we always cage them when leaving or sleeping.. Bit by bit, let them out.. Always go stright out when the xage door opens,,
                      Always go straight out when I walk in the house Both of the last 2 peed in the house one time each.. The other more.. We were still figuring out "house dog" from penned dogs
                      Now the cage s housing a feral cat.. She is always around winters, used to stay in the garage and had her secret entrance.. Now she can't use it, we open the door and a beeline to the cage..

Cute lil fela you got there Dan and ME! Hope it gives you all the happiness you need!
                      I don't care for Poodles, I have seen some nice ones.. Most are bowls of snarling pooping jello..
                      Please feel free to prove me wrong!

My favorite expression from strangers meeting my dogs?
                      "I can't believe a pit bull is so sweet"
                      I wanna say, "Cool Poodle, Dan!"

Comment

Kingsford is an excellent dog. However, we had a go-round with Sammy and he has proven to not be as presented to us by the Rescue - he's a biter. We're mulling it over but he may not have a life with us - he loses. As Dan B, Russell and other can vouch, a dog who lands in our home has it made. Can't have a biter, though. First poodle I've ever had like this and I'm at a loss. If I was the Dog Whisperer or had access to the Dog Whisperer maybe we could get thru this but in my current state of mind it isn't looking good for the little guy. Too bad as he has a number of excellent qualities. So he may be heading back to SC.

Bob - I know pittys are usually sweeties, just don't meet our requirements.

Dan
                        Last edited by DanStokes; January 9, 2017, 08:23 PM.

Comment

If you can be quick enough and grab his snout and jaw without getting bit, if you pinch his tongue in the process, better, and say "No bite"
                          At his age and a "fear biter". Not too rosy..

I know you cannot have pits..

Comment

I know as we age, a puppu becomes kind of difficult..
                            But to have a good dog your way....

A big question I'd have is "Why is the dog in your rescue?"
                            Most of the time it is a disciplinary reason..
                            A friend took a dog from a bad home, every time I visited, it would attack me.. Unless I was sitting on the bed or in a chair then it was ok..
                            At the time I was walking with a cane.. My friend took my cane and the dog promptly attacked him..
                            Next time he saw the folks he took thedog from, their roommate walked with a cane and spitefully beat the dog..

I'm sure Sammy is biting out of fear and biting before getting whacked.

Comment

All you have to do is wear leather glover and chaps , problem solved . Seriouly the future for a biter isn't good . Nobody wants s biter . Is it worth the trip ? Like fees returned ? Other wise maybe just put him down and go to plan b .
                              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Working...
                              X