Living the derby life..

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Front bumpers are seam welded..
    Rag joint replaced with universal out of Astro van.
    Hole cut in firewall so the distributor does not break the cap. Gets covered with a mudflap.
    Cable shifter and throttles made out of PTO cables.. Shifter has P lock out, can slap shift F-R without hitting P.
    No tranny mount, just wide channel to slide the tailshaft on the crossmember.
    Driveshaft is a slider from tractors for 45 hp PTO equipment.. The Delta runs an easy 400+ hp small block with Dart heads Have not broken one in 10 years
    Front calipers are removed (they break and jam the wheel. ). Rear brakes help shifting..
    Delta was running a 4:86 gear and spool
    Impala a 3:73 and welded.
    Tires are doubled and tubed.
    Doors, trunk and hood are #9 wire shut..
    Part of the trunk is removed to help the bumper roll in.. In the Weld class, we tuck the trunk in and use 1-1/4" all thread to keep hood and trunk shut.
    Cage on the sides s doubled channel, welded.. Side to side is square tube in the dash and behind the seat
    The roof channel and pipe keeps the roof from collapsing if it gets rolled..
    No alternator. 2- 1000CCA batteries.
    Lots of little stuff that adds up.. Like creasing the fenders..

Comment

Very cool!!
      HRPT LH- 09,10,11,12
      DW- 12,16,17
      "Stay thirsty my friends"
      The worlds most interesting man

Comment

Congrats for a successful effort .
        Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

What do you mean "tires are doubled" ?
          Do you relocate the radiator ?

Comment

Originally posted by Monster View Post
            What do you mean "tires are doubled" ?
            Do you relocate the radiator ?
            One tire inside another.. Then tubes added.. Some guys run 14 ply or forklift or skidsteer tires. That is alot of weifgt on the front end.or axles

Most places do not allow relocating radiators, I have heard of guys in Montana and North Dakota running them on their roofs..

Years ago, I made a box that sat in my back seat, it was not pressureized. I was able to make big blocks last.. But once they got hot, I had a shower/steam bath.. Very uncomfy. Then early in my son's career I built a 2 gallon box with a radiator cap thinking if it got hot, the cap will blow. The hoses blew off instead, super heated water went from passenger side to driver side holes, burning him, that merited an ambulance ride..

Speedway sells a real good aluminum radiator that we get 2-3 or more runs out of.
            Both cars still had water in their radiators.. I strongly believe in "WATER WETTER"

Comment

Kinda sounds like the kids win every time they run.. Not so.
              We went to Yakima WA last fall, daughter got 4th and Mad Dog..
              Son did not place due to his speciality tranny burning up
              It was his 2nd speciality built for derby tranhy to burn up..
              Daughter's first time with that calibur of drivers.. She has won several times, most women drive in the "Powder Puff" and very few go into the main.
              She has only driven one "Puff" and was afraid of hurting the girls.. Got 2nd by backing herself on a log and getting hung up.. BUT she went on to run the main, winning that and getting her first Mad Dog trophy.
              Both kids have different driving styles.. Bob jr is more calm and methodical.. Susy is alot like me.. Pedal to the metal, wham bam!

Comment

Working...
              X