Matt's Duramax Rebuild.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Matt's Duramax Rebuild.

Last July my good friend Matt and his Father were in a terrible accident in his 04 3500HD Duramax truck.
    Original thread: http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...=1463702655993
    As some of you know Matt's father didn't make it..

The accident photos...

Since the accident Matt spent months fighting with lawyers and the insurance company, and finally got a settlement earlier this year.
    We looked for another truck, and I found several of them, but I knew from day 1 he had it in the back of his mind that he wanted to rebuild the truck.
    I trolled Craigslist and found him a mint South Carolina cab, chassis, front end, and countless other parts.
    He dove right in and start ripping and tearing...

The old stuff... (The cab and frame got shit-hammered pretty bad...)

The new stuff... (Clean and rust free)

He even tore the Allison 1000 apart to overhaul. (He's still debating on buying a 4th gen Allison)

Matt's father loved this truck which is what's driving Matt to rebuild it. (Pun intended)
    He got a lot of work done in the last few months, and has a lot more to do.
    The truck will be painted his father's favorite shade of red when it's done..
    I'll post more pics as things progress.
    Last edited by tardis454; May 19, 2016, 05:34 PM.

analyzing the old frame...
    I went class 10-12 bolts for a reason, on the cab...poly mounts, metal runged snapped in for an exacting unforgivable center.
    What I felt could happen, really did in those photos.

it shows gm counted on the torsion bars as a structure...and it was not a good thing to do.

I look forward to the finished. they go that far in my locale as well. entire swaps, several trucks to get there.
    Previously boxer3main
    the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Best of luck to Matt. Hope it's everything Dad would have wanted and Matt feels good about it.

Dan

Comment

Progress has been made, and it's looking like a truck again.
        The cab and core support are on, the new trans is in, and it fires up and runs..

Matt had to reuse all of the wrecked trucks electronic parts, PCM, BCM, Airbag Module...
        The cab fits perfect, the motor runs like a top, and everything is slowly but surely starting to fall into place.
        The security system gave him some issues, and he had to reset the airbag module, but it's all sorted out and works great.
        More to come soon.

Comment

Absolutely awesome progress Matt! Click image for larger version

Name:	KeepOnTruckin3.jpg
Views:	34
Size:	156.3 KB
ID:	1113584
          Patrick & Tammy
          - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Lots of progrees . I hadn't notice and cab damage . Twisted ?
            Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Also , I noticed the old truck had 3 pedals . Did Allison make a manual or is he switching to a automatic?
              Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I noticed the three pedals too. But went back and looked again 3rd one is for the parking brake.

Comment

Aahh . Yep I looked back , your absolutely right .
                  Last edited by Dan Barlow; July 11, 2016, 04:38 PM.
                  Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by HoosierL98GTA View Post
                    Lots of progrees . I hadn't notice and cab damage . Twisted ?
                    The cab was twisted so bad it tore most of the cab mounts off. It wasn't worth fixing..

Originally posted by Deaf Bob
                    Dunno what it is called for adults.. Sounds like "shaken baby syndrome" is what got Gerry?

Unexpected hits in derby cars with helmets HURT! Nowadays most ( few dont) use collars..
                    Your brain isn't made to be shaken..
                    Matt's dad wasn't wearing his seatbelt. It was one of those 'running up to the corner store rides'. Those are the ones that gets ya everytime.
                    He suffered severe head and chest trauma, and was declared brain dead a few days later. I miss that old man, Matt misses him more of course...

Comment

It lives.. It's on it's paws, full of fluids, runs and drives.

It pulled out of the shop under it's own power.

Next step, paint & bodywork..

Comment

Awesome! with any luck the rest of the rebuild will continue on course!
                        Patrick & Tammy
                        - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Fantastic. Pretty quick progress .
                          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I stopped by Matt's shop today to see the progress on the truck. It's painted, needs buffed, and some minor reassembly. I had him talk to my neighbor who's been a bodyman for 40yrs. My neighbor talked him out of painting the truck red. He said color changes are expensive and time consuming, and unless it's something special it's not worth the hassle. So, Matt stuck with black. He does plan on adding a red stripe on the hood, but other than that it's gonna stay black.

Some pics:

The next batch of photos will be of the truck finished which will be soon.

Comment

Damn good progress!
                              Good luck on finishing it up..

Comment

Working...
                              X