Clutch Info

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Clutch Info

Maybe this goes in Tech - Mods, feel free to move it if appropriate.

As noted in my build thread, I'm replacing the clutch in Mutt the Race Truck and I was unsure if everything was going as planned given that I'm using a BMW disc with a stock Mercedes pressure plate, which is all I can find that will fit this oddball application. During the installation I noticed that as I drew down the PP bolts to where the PP just contacted the friction disc I had about 0.125" between the flywheel and the PP. No one seemed to have the specs for what this ought to be.

YEA McLeod! I got their tech guy on the phone and learned what I needed to know. First of all, this spec has a name - "pull down". Secondly, the spec should be 1/2 of the thickness of the friction material on the friction disc. This disc has really thin friction material so I might be OK. If it's not clamping tightly enough I'll need to have the pressure plate step turned down a bit but I think it's close to that 1/2 of the disc spec.

One of those little tidbits to put in our collective memory. A HUGE thanks to Billy on the McLeod tech line for this valuable piece of knowledge!

Dan

That IS good stuff to know. Thanks for sharing!

Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

I buy the whole darn thing.
      diesel can play like that, low rpm, big grab..

the subaru needed 450 ft pound t launch into the 5 or 6k.
      the truck with the first year vortec throating down the middle..not exactly a gentle giant either.

good info anyway. the real setups have discs and plates together, boasting in their own ads.

Previously boxer3main
      the death rate and fairy tales cannot kill the nature left behind.

Comment

Working...
      X