No announcement yet.

The car trailer thread

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nah. I bought it from a guy in Michigan. Apparently they don't title trailers there. I suppose with some black paint to freshen it up I might be able to get away with saying I built it.

Comment

• Look for a serial number or date plate on the frame first. Most are stamped somewhere near the tongue.
      Last edited by oletrux4evr; January 21, 2017, 09:26 AM.
      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Trailers in MI DO have titles though they aren't very serious about it. My trailer was bought in our MI days and I have no clue where our MI title is. I have a "Permanent" MI plate on it and I continue to tow with that plate - zero issues. I DO have the registration for the plate and I think you can sell it based on the reg.

My trailer has a plate welded on it with a SN stamped in - I'd guess yours has the same. Mine's on top of the left (driver's) side of the frame right where the frame rail angles in toward the hitch but I have no clue if that's common.

Dan

Comment

• I have a boat that came with a trailer, the boat has a title, the trailer does not - but it does have a data plate.

My home built trailer did not have a data plate - I was able to get a trailer registration and plate for it after having it weighed so they could figure out what class of trailer to charge me the plate fee for.

My RnR trailer was built in Three Rivers Michigan - it came with a title and with a data plate riveted to the main frame beam near the tongue.
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• John, did RnR issue an actual title or is what you have a MSO? (Manufacturers Certificate of Origin)

If MSO, how did that process go at the BMV? (Secretary of State in Michigan, I believe)
            Of all the paths you take in life - make sure a few of them are dirt.

Comment

• I'll have to look that up - we have permanent trailer plates now in MI, so I just moved the plate from the old to the new trailer, no visit to the SOS.

Comment

• I had my mind set on a JimGlo tilt trailer. Unfortunately they are built in Arizona and the nearest dealer is in Midland Texas. Shipping to Ohio is $2000.

Thinking it is only a matter of time before the other trailer guys copy the JimGlo design, I kept my eyes open.

Found this barely used 2016 Aluma 8218 an hour away from me. Under #1500, torsion axles with brakes on both, led lights, aluminum extrusion floor planks, tilt deck loading.

Man does it tow nice.

Remember the tilt-trailer Finnegan used to pick up the Blasphemi shell, and haul it north to meet its frame on one of the RoadKill episodes?

Roadkill - It's Automotive Chaos Theory! David Freiburger and Mike Finnegan are two guys behaving badly with cars.

That was a JimGlo "EGO" trailer from what I could make out on it.

This is the Aluma version of the same trailer.
                Click image for larger version  Name:	3EiXtj9.jpg Views:	1 Size:	746.7 KB ID:	1196961
                Last edited by STINEY; April 16, 2018, 10:55 AM.

Comment

• 50/50.. Will be a stinker unless weight up front..
                  Every 60/40 I've used towed sweet..
                  I got one 50/50.. All weight needs to be forward. VW van had to be backed on, front engines driven on.. Loaded a trunk with 2 junk motors and could not go over 45 mph tops.
                  Since you pull buggys.. More than likely it will not be a problem..
                  Pulled a 2 car trailer on the Redwood Hwy to Crescent City CA. And the heavier car had to be loaded first and on the edge of the front It was a 50/50 that normally pulled 3 small Mustang or Pinto stock cars (4 cyl cars) So going by that.. You will likely be ok unless you haul a big car..
                  But then..I may be wrong.

Comment

• Stiney that's a nice looking trailer - congrats on finding a nice used one, when I was looking, I was not successful in that venture.
                    I just noticed looking at it again that the axles seem pretty far forward, lots of rear overhang, I'm guessing that's to provide a low approach angle when loading with the tilt, just be careful when pulling out of some driveways / entrances / exits from some locations- I can see that rear cross member getting scraped up.

Comment

• Its neat how you can tell an experienced trailer guy......they all look at this one and comment on the weird axle placement, lol. Its a design element of this particular type of tilt that puts the axles back farther. The deck has extra length to account for it, basically the rear is considered fixed ramps.

This one is marketed as 18' but the deck overall actually measures 20'. Deduct 2' from the tail visually in your mind and it should look right.

I know all about the tail-wagging issues from improperly weighted trailers. I do appreciate the comments though, it can't be stressed enough.

John I have been looking for used since before you got your RNR. Used aluminum trailers are scarce. I found this one within hours of it being posted, just got lucky.

Here is the tilt dampner and lock mechanism. The looped hose (just out of picture on right) includes a ball-valve for "locking" the deck up if needed.

Click image for larger version

Name:	O8ybyEg.jpg
Views:	174
Size:	742.6 KB
ID:	1197325
                      Click image for larger version

Name:	AEUE7lW.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	765.0 KB
ID:	1197326

Comment

• I guess when you haul alot and had to use crappy stuff now and again....
                        I do like your trailer.
                        And for what you will use it mainly for, it will be great.
                        Plus the big ass end makes a great bullshittin bench at pit stops...

Comment

• I just got directed to here. Lots of good information. Figured I should have searched the forum!
                          I posted up there: https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ed-some-advice

I'm stuck between trying to buy a 20-24 foot long trailer. Looking to get something with higher rated axles, biggest issue is the pulling rig right now limits me to around 8700 pound.
                          2000 Ford Expedition XLT 4x4 5.4 truck.

I've pulled with a custom built aluminum low deck designed for hauling everything from fox bodys to 1 ton duallies. Man I miss that trailer, stolen and lost to the sands of time.

I'm currently debating the need related to business, 24 foot enclosed trailer, or open aluminum trailer with a tilt/dove tail.

As a recap, here is what I posted up:
                          So I am starting the process of trying to replace my lost car trailer.
                          Long of the short my trailer basically was stolen 7-8 years ago and never recovered, spotted it once and went to recover it but it vaporized and cops were pretty much of no help.

I'm on the lookout for a decent trailer, used for a single vehicle.
                          I've debated between open and enclosed however my issue comes...my current tow rig is a 2000 Ford Expedition 4x4 with the 5.4.
                          My '95 extended cab 4x4 F-series has seen better days and is getting sold.
                          Long term plans is to buy an F350 extended cab duallie 4x4 or 4x2 provided it's the right truck. I'm overly partial to the 92-96 bricknose trucks because I can still get a manual transmission and I just like the way they look.

Because most of the cars I deal in are 70's Fords...I'm leaning towards a 20 foot open or a 24 foot enclosed, but I have a feeling an enclosed trailer, plus a 3,800-4,000 pound Torino would be pushing the Expedition a bit harder than I like.

I have pulled around a '79 Tbird on a Uhaul 7K trailer and the Expedition pulled it like it basically was not really there.
                          Compared to my '95 F series 4x4 with 302 and tow package, I am digging the Expedition a lot.

Anyways, just looking for thoughts from guys using their trailers to pull and haul stuff on a daily basis.
                          I'd love to go all aluminum on the trailer but figure I'm looking at a steel trailer with steel decking.

I've used these guys in the past: www.kwikload.com
                          One hell of a setup.

But part of me thinks may it's time to consider an enclosed trailer, but that presents the issue of needing the driver side of the trailer being able to open up for me to get in and out of the vehicle. I am too chunky to be crawling in and out of windows. I am not Luke or Bow, and I'm not driving a Charger. And I most certainly will not be in any daisy dukes

Another style I was considering is: https://www.hhtrailer.com/product/speedloader-tiltbed/

Anyways, feel free to toss in your 2 cents on this. If you guys see something half decent in the upper plains/midwest area, let me know.

Andrew
                          1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
                          2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

Comment

Working...
                          X