Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

If Diesel Isn’t An Option, What Engine Do You Choose For Your Tow Rig?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• If Diesel Isn’t An Option, What Engine Do You Choose For Your Tow Rig?

Since we just got a big block powered square body dually, equipped with the venerable Big Block Chevrolet, we have of course been thinking about engine mods, swaps, etc. And the number of people that have very strong opinions on Big Block vs LS vs whatever is amazing. And the same goes for the Ford […]

More...

If it were up to me, this would be a good choice: https://blueprintengines.com/collect...gm-496-stroker
    either that or start with their shortblock and build it using parts spec'd by you for the rpm range you're looking for...maybe add a 174 blower? http://www.jegs.com/i/Weiand/925/7741-1/10002/-1
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Turbochargers will allow just about anything to make more torque than the block will put up with. I don't know about the other guys, but the twin turbo 2.7 in the F150 makes more torque at 3000 than the 5.0 ... and the 3.0 they are putting in the Lincoln MKZ is making 400 ft lbs at 2750. The second gen 3.5 is making some crazy numbers for a mill that small, 375 hp and 470 foot pounds at 2250-3500 rpm. That sounds like a good tow truck engine to me, but I'm not pulling a freight train, just the occasional car or boat.

Since you're asking about a Chevy, Sloppy Mechanics already has you covered. The 4.8 in his Colorado makes a ton of power all over the place and is dirt simple. I'd probably go that way if I was forced to have a Chevy, and give it 4.10's just in case you need to move a mobile home or something.
      Last edited by Beagle; January 7, 2018, 11:40 AM.
      Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Originally posted by Beagle View Post
        Turbochargers will allow just about anything to make more torque than the block will put up with. I don't know about the other guys, but the twin turbo 2.7 in the F150 makes more torque at 3000 than the 5.0 ... and the 3.0 they are putting in the Lincoln MKZ is making 400 ft lbs at 2750. The second gen 3.5 is making some crazy numbers for a mill that small, 375 hp and 470 foot pounds at 2250-3500 rpm. That sounds like a good tow truck engine to me, but I'm not pulling a freight train, just the occasional car or boat.

Since you're asking about a Chevy, Sloppy Mechanics already has you covered. The 4.8 in his Colorado makes a ton of power all over the place and is dirt simple. I'd probably go that way if I was forced to have a Chevy, and give it 4.10's just in case you need to move a mobile home or something.
        Can't we just stop the hate????
        Patrick & Tammy

Comment

If your just driving the truck and hauling what ever you can put in the bed then I would leave the 454 in it . And if you need more power then maybe ebay turbo . Either way that big block would stay put .
          Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

Can't we just stop the hate????
            What? I actually like the LS. It's not real pretty, but it is stout... you've seen this guy? He's motivational.

Last edited by Beagle; January 8, 2018, 03:41 AM.

Comment

What? I actually like the LS. It's not real pretty, but it is stout... you've seen this guy? He's motivational.

Thanks! it's a cool project!
              Patrick & Tammy

Comment

I love LS engines. Now that I have that out of the way , if he was going to go that route the he should have paid less money and bought a non running truck or at least a small block one . Or just saved the money of the wwap and bought a newer truck . If that motor comes out then it really should get a cummins .
                Previously HoosierL98GTA

Comment

I think the thing about a tow rig engine is, can it make max torque for hours straight. A little turbo gas engine huffing and puffing it's heart out, how long can it do that? Are the pistons going to stay cool, the manifolds not get red-hot halfway up a steep grade with a heavy load? I think a towing motor needs to be something with more cubic inches that are having an easier time, not a stressed-out car motor designed for stoplight-to-stoplight.
                  IMO if diesel is not an option that is unfortunate. My stock Cummins doesn't make much power but what it's got it can do all day, 100 degree weather, pulling a trailer with the a/c on, and then get 20+mpg unloaded w/ 4.10s...that's what I want from a tow motor.

Comment

Loren, Ford seems to think the same in some respects with the 2.7 ( I'm obviously enamored with it) - it has piston oilers, and I didn't realize it, but it has water cooled exhaust manifolds which I'm suddenly freaked out by because they are integrated with the head and I didn't notice that before. They planned on it getting beat on. I don't pull anything over 7000 pounds, and rarely do that any more. If I were pulling it's 9500 lb rating, I would certainly consider the bigger mills that ran on peanut oil. haha.

Time will tell - I'm about 13,000 into the story of mine and pretty happy with it. I don't think I would have a problem putting a couple of small turbos on 5.3 and expecting it to outperform a 454, 460,488 pretty much everywhere. They aren't really strangled to begin with, so I wonder how stressed they really are with a bit of boost? I'm not trying to argue here, just curious if my thinking is on track. The load doesn't care what kind of HP or torque is being delivered, just that it is delivered, right?

Comment

I guess that I am just old school, remembering days when the GMC V6 was the king of torque(478cubes) and not quite into trusting the newer stuff at times... I was just thinking when being limited on the transmission (3 or 4 speed vs 6-10 speed) and not a diesel, what would be an easier conversion than another BBC with a small blower for the off the line grunt to pull a house if called upon... In a book i read in my younger days(The affair of the wayward jeep) a statement was made that you could move a freight train, given enough gears...
                      Patrick & Tammy

Comment

) - it has piston oilers, and I didn't realize it, but it has water cooled exhaust manifolds
                        That would certainly help. We know small hi-powered motors can be made to run flat-out sustainably (for 500 miles anyhow) with some expense...just, would OEMs do it? Oilers good. Water-cooled manifolds would help, I've seen motor gas home pieces that were half-on-their-way to dust from all the w.o.t. I parted-out a 60K motor home 454 a couple years ago and even with that low mileage the manifolds were shot. Having a cooling system to handle that extra load would be something, too.

The advantage of a small motor is of-course, when you're not using it hard you are only paying the fuel (and emissions) for a small motor. Just, all else being equal, there is a direct correlation between how hard a motor is working and how long it lasts (same w/ drivelines etc.). If they can make all else not be equal by toughening up the engine for the task, then it becomes a good idea.

Comment

Got a BBC powered crew cab dualie with auto and a small block with a 4 speed flatbed.. Like the small block better.

Comment

Originally posted by Deaf Bob View Post
                            Got a BBC powered crew cab dualie with auto and a small block with a 4 speed flatbed.. Like the small block better.
                            Granny gear Sm465? 1st gear tells the tale....SM465= 3.58 TH400= 2.48.
                            Last edited by silver_bullet; January 9, 2018, 07:26 PM.
                            Patrick & Tammy

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

Granny gear Sm465? 1st gear tells the tale....SM465= 3.58 TH400= 2.48.
                              Yes.. First is a "let clutch out for 10 feet, shift to 2nd and go"
                              Small blocks rev better.

Comment

Working...
                              X