1970 Charger RT/SE Daytona 6-pak??????? on ebay bids at 215,000

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 1970 Charger RT/SE Daytona 6-pak??????? on ebay bids at 215,000

70 daytona?? vin starts xs rt but they claim it was all special ordered from the factory. Did the factory ever put in sun roof in these cars if not i would question if the dealer added all the daytona stuff. Anyone ever heard of this car.

Re: 1970 Charger RT/SE Daytona 6-pak??????? on ebay bids at 215,000

I'm no Mopar expert but wasn't the Daytona only available in 1969? Besides the sunroof, the rear window isn't flush mounted.

The seller claims it is the only 1970 Daytona built but to me it looks like a nicely optioned 1970 Charger with 1969 Daytona fenders, nose, and spoiler. Maybe it was even a dealer install.

I guess we'll find out from the Mopar experts soon enough ;D

Comment

If I was going to drop 200K on a car, I'd make damn sure I knew what I was buying!
      Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Interesting that a Model 71 Selectric typewriter was used to make the dealer invoice...or maybe a daisywheel printer?

nice car! A fine investment opportunity for an automotive investor. Might want to keep it locked up in a garage, unless they've changed the locks or the key numbers are faked

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I knew the Mopar guys would poke some holes in this story they even know what kind of typwriter used to make invoices

Comment

That's something that each dealership might do differently? I'm sure NOT an expert on mopar documentation, but I do know a little about typewriters.

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

For what its worth, Musclecar Enthusiast March 2009 edition did a story on an original owner Hemi Charger Daytona. The junkie kept ALL the paperwork (even throw away stuff used during dealer prep). Included in the prep paperwork was reference to 1970 Dodge Charger Daytona, the mag guesstimated that the mislabeling was due to the late in the year release of the car.
              a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Whole new meaning to "numbers matching" when one enters in letters on a typewriter, now it's all about "numbers and letters" matching.

No 440-6 Daytonas from factory. Dealer installed in dealer installed.

Comment

That car looks a lot like the one Jerry Juneman had his hands on. For that reason alone, I would steer clear of it.

Ron
                  It's really no different than trying to glue them back on after she has her way.

Comment

Car MUST be a total fraud, it has the standard "flying buttress" rear window. All Charger 500s and Daytonas had the flush rear window, there's a dumb ass born every minute.

Comment

i just found the past thread on moparts website and this was a huge argument over the whole 1970 daytonas. http://board.moparts.org/ubbthreads/...p?Number=45349) I better not mention that 1969 superbird i have in my garage with a slant six and a factory hyper-pak.

Comment

I also noticed the wrong rear glass. On the other hand, if I was making a fake I wouldn't leave something that obvious.
                        I've heard of this car before. Ordered by a doctor brand new, had those bumper guards made, and I seem to recall the dealer installed headers. The headers were a real hack job. At the time, the doctor insisted it was a real 70 Daytona, I don't know if he's still around. The other problem was the car had a build date AFTER 12/31/69, when all wing cars were discontinued due to federal bumper regulations.
                        There was also supposed to be NO Hemi Coronet 4 doors either, but I believe at least 2 are known, one owned by a Mr. Garlits in Florida. Galen says they are real, he would know.
                        I sure wouldn't bid that highon a car this questionable.

Comment

I understand this Daytona sold for a cool quarter mil....

Comment

Originally posted by oldrustycars
                            I also noticed the wrong rear glass. On the other hand, if I was making a fake I wouldn't leave something that obvious.
                            I've heard of this car before. Ordered by a doctor brand new, had those bumper guards made, and I seem to recall the dealer installed headers. The headers were a real hack job. At the time, the doctor insisted it was a real 70 Daytona, I don't know if he's still around. The other problem was the car had a build date AFTER 12/31/69, when all wing cars were discontinued due to federal bumper regulations.
                            There was also supposed to be NO Hemi Coronet 4 doors either, but I believe at least 2 are known, one owned by a Mr. Garlits in Florida. Galen says they are real, he would know.
                            There's a difference between saying a car is a "1970 Daytona blah blah" and mentioning Bob McCurry and "special cars" and a car that was pieced together by some dealer.

Let me say this again: The factory never produced a "Daytona" with the standard Charger back lite.

A dealer could have been requested to pull out the factory-installed engine and replace it with a Mercury Flathead from 1948, would that make it a "super rare Flathead Daytona" that slipped out of the factory? NO

I've seen a red '66 4-door Coronet Street Hemi at B J 2 years ago, had all the correct documentation.

This car on eBay might have been slapped together by a Dodge dealer in 1970, making a unique story, however, it is presented as a "possible one-of-one factory special order car" which is total bullShit.

And I never heard anyone claim there were never and 4-door Coronets built.

Comment

Originally posted by oldrustycars
                              Wing cars were special cars, that is not a factory wing car. Sorry, the "doctor" is mixing up a Dodge dealer "special order" with parts dept components and a "factory special order" and the person doing the eBay is short on knowledge, or a full-on crook.

Comment

Working...
                              X