Unoffiicial Drag Week FAQ

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Unoffiicial Drag Week FAQ

While this board is the unofficial board of Drag Week, it is probably the most traveled and the most informative. So why not an unofficial DW FAQ? I hope that this can be made a sticky.

The reason for this thread is that over the past few years, I have seen the same questions asked repeatedly. So rather than having someone search an entire forum for the answers, why not roll them up into this thread. My thoughts are to post the frequently asked question and either a straight forward answer or the location of threads that the answer is given. Please help out and add to this list.

So, to start off:

Where can I find the DW rules?

What rule changes will be made in 2014?

Supposedly, the rules will stay the same in 2014 as they were in 2012 and 2013. Frieburger has said the rules are changing in 2015.

When is DW?

Historically in the second week of September. The exact dates are announced by Hot Rod in late winter, early spring.

Where is DW?

Historically, Hot Rod announces track locations in early spring. They change every year. Locations will be talked about extensively on this site.

When do I register?

Hot Rod will announce when registration will occur on their web site and it will be posted here either by a member of the HR staff or other good samaritans. Last year, registration lasted 8 hours before all spots were sold, so be on the lookout and be on your toes. I would check either HR's web site or here at least once a week for the announcement.

Can I get in if I missed registration?

HR will also start a list of names that want in but did not get registered in time. As people that registered drop out (and they always do), HR will offer registration to the individuals on the back up list in the order that they got their names on the list. Be aware that as the start date of DW draws near, more people will drop out, so be ready. DW has yet to start with a full field. And so far, you can get into the event if you just show up the first day of the event.

There are other questions I have seen, but don't have time to look back for the answers, such as:

Can I bring a trailer?
    What size trailer?
    Will and IHRA certification be acceptable?
    How do they check tire widths?

And so on. Feel free to post answers to these questions and any questions you think are applicable.
    Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Sticky?

I think the questions you have at the bottom are answered in the rules.

The rules are in a PDF here:
    Last edited by Beagle; December 27, 2013, 06:02 AM.
    Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

Another Question is "How much does it cost?"
      You an spend a little by camping out, many have done it, but camping sometimes is not allowed at the track.
      Hotels very between $79 and $200, less if you split rooms
      Fuel costs depends on what you drive
      Food cost, bring stuff with you, lunch meat, homemade cookies etc can help. Motels with free breakfast can really help.

This question is asked alot.
      Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

It might make sense to link to some of the past threads that either answer questions or revisit popular topics like 'what should I bring', 'should I use a trailer' and if so 'what kind of trailer', 'are trailers really for wussies', and the ever popular 'what would Elvis do?''. I am not good at this stuff hence the suggestion.
        Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

What do I need to bring to DW? What spare parts do you guys take on the trip?

Just a few of them...
          Why think when you can be doing something fruitful?

Comment

On the topic of trailers, if you rent a U-Haul and have catastrophic failure you could have this happen.
            Attached Files
            Drag Week 2006 & 2012 - Winner Street Race Big Block Naturally Aspirated - R/U 2007 Broke DW '05 and Drag Weekend '15 Coincidence?

Comment

I don't bring much of anything! Seems the less I bring, the less I break!! I carried almost nothing in 2006, and didn't need anything, 2008 I brought a full set of lifters, used them all, 2010 brought a bunch of shit, hurt the engine and didn't use much, last year I brought very little, used very little.. Basically, don't bring enough parts to build a second car, and you should be pretty trouble free.. :-)

Comment

Originally posted by TheEngineWorks.com View Post
                I don't bring much of anything! Seems the less I bring, the less I break!! I carried almost nothing in 2006, and didn't need anything, 2008 I brought a full set of lifters, used them all, 2010 brought a bunch of shit, hurt the engine and didn't use much, last year I brought very little, used very little.. Basically, don't bring enough parts to build a second car, and you should be pretty trouble free.. :-)
                That only applies to those running in "soft" classes . . . Just sayin' . . . .

My observation is that racers who are trying to run ridiculous lift and duration for 1,500 miles or something they don't stock at the corner auto parts store probably ought to pack a few bits and pieces.

However, if you can limp your car after it breaks to the next track (as I did when my hated "storebought" "field filler" ate a week-old aftermarket rear trailing arm bushing), Summit can usually overnight you spares.

Comment

Nitrous guys got free refill(s) in 2012. I brought 3 bottles(one 15lbs) just to make sure I didn't run out. I was spraying a 100 shot in 2012. I'm currently spraying 150, and might go up a little more for 2014.
                  Did nitrous guys get just one refill in 2013? Or could you buy more if wanted/needed? Nitrous bottles take up a bunch of room...lol
                  http://
                  Last edited by Dino98T/A; February 2, 2014, 10:38 PM.
                  http://i289.photobucket.com/albums/l...0101507a-1.jpgI'd rather attempt to do something great and fail than to attempt to do nothing and succeed.

Comment

When I watched some videos from last year I noticed several cars with no trailers at all, yet were running in the 11's. Were they just fortunate enough to be able to fill the trunk and back seat on the drives. It seems as though a trailer would still be much nicer just to unhook and go. My buddy finished 3rd in his class last year with an 8.40 average. They broke down 10 times and it was all because of the trailer. lol

Comment

I ran low 11s and never removed any tires, or jacked up the car or filled the tank with anything other than what came out of the gas pump. You don't really need a lot of stuff to do DW if you so chose
                      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by Sinister69 View Post
                        When I watched some videos from last year I noticed several cars with no trailers at all, yet were running in the 11's. Were they just fortunate enough to be able to fill the trunk and back seat on the drives. It seems as though a trailer would still be much nicer just to unhook and go. My buddy finished 3rd in his class last year with an 8.40 average. They broke down 10 times and it was all because of the trailer. lol
                        Some people completely forget about trailer maintenance.. they dont take care of them selves...
                        you dont over load it either... the tires that usually come stock on them are junk... and the
                        speeds some want to drive REALLY spins those small tires(about 3 times faster than the car tires)

Comment

I was thinking no trailer at all. The main thing was a tent to stay out of the sun. Everything else I can fit in my back seat and trunk. Oh what to do....

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            I ran low 11s and never removed any tires, or jacked up the car or filled the tank with anything other than what came out of the gas pump. You don't really need a lot of stuff to do DW if you so chose
                            Very Impressive!

Comment

Originally posted by MR P-BODY View Post
                              Some people completely forget about trailer maintenance.. they dont take care of them selves...
                              you dont over load it either... the tires that usually come stock on them are junk... and the
                              speeds some want to drive REALLY spins those small tires(about 3 times faster than the car tires)
                              Yeah his brother loaned it to him and said it had brand new tires so he figured it was ready to go. It was not. They were toed out and ate the shit out of the tires. He said he now knows why he had new tires on it. lol

Comment

Working...
                              X