I thought I would share some rebuild photos. I found the new brushes applied to over 1000 vehicles. This is very uiniversal. GM has some extra tricks, the pin for holding brushes, separate rectifier, etc..but this is an idea for anyone.
found new brushes, going ahead with an old one to refresh. this is actually not old at all. I may have found the remmanned error..its like they changed everything but old brushes. Very odd.
the left one is just shy of half mark. New brush on the right. something tells me this “remmanned” was not what it was supposed to be, as if incomplete. the original lightweight springs leave these brushes at 100k miles or more. oh well. Can’t buy something right do it yourself even better.
the metal with posts come through the back of alt. this is how I determine age. This one is young..maybe they did replace something important. bearing is like new as well. same for the front.
sanded up slip rings..also young.
cleaned up the leads awaiting new brushes. These were both bad enough where solder alone, with flux, could not self clean to a good connect. I stripped it down to nothing and used very find sand paper. Odd rebuild by whatever company did it. The brushes don’t match the time of other parts. Silliness.
part two will be my masterful giant hand soldering job.