Instead of continuing the 351c ranger thread adnausium, I'd start a new thread for the lastest project phase.... saying goodbye to the ranger, and hello to a little 62 falcon 2 door sedan that's really ugly but is dripping with potential.
So - after delivering the falcon (4 hour drive from central Indiana)
Matt - aka the energizer bunny - and I fixed the rusty hood on Rhonda's car, from welding in the patch (after fixing the welder - new gun liner) to spraying the clear, was all done by 2am saturday morning.
After a nap - we got back at it Saturday morning, and by 11pm Saturday night the engine, trans, axle, msd box, gauges, shifter, etc were all out of the ranger, the ranger was on the trailer - and the splash box (which is HEAVIER than the steel stock box) was swapped out for the steel box that fits much better..... the truck is just missing some white to be a patriotic paint scheme...
The Falcon got a serious bath at the $0.25 car wash where lots of it's shabily applied dark blue paint washed away with years of grime. Matt got the tires to hold air, one front brake un stuck, and the falcon was rolling on it's wheels with a bit of human power into it's new home.
I have tons of questions, Matt also brought up the granda spindles, rotors, calibers, proportioning valve - so I have most of what I need to make the front end 5 lug and disc brakes - I'm thinking a dual resevoir master cylinder with about a 1" diameter bore should do the trick. Out back - the ranger axle will get two short side axles, with one tube cut and welded to match the other side..... then - to figure out the spring perch locations, shock mounts, etc. to fit the falcon.
Then - there's the interior - obviously what's there needs to be replaced.
Headliner and seats are pretty well shot. Hopefully I can find a rear seat that is close enough in size to replace the existing one without having to pop for $$$$ oem restoration seat recovering prices. Jegs has some "racing buckets" for about $145 each that are tempting - but will kill any vintage look - I'm not sure I'm ok with that or not yet.
The fire wall to shock tower braces will probably have to go - and be replaced by something that is removable to get the V8 in and out.
I will need to get motor mounts, and see if I can make the long tube headers I have fit in that little engine compartment.
The floor has a giant hole on the driver side - the rest of the sheetmetal is amazingly solid - two spots in the driver door about the size of a playing card, and plenty of dents but very very little rot.
The adventure begins.