The Pontiac OHC Six

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: The Pontiac OHC Six

Build both engines, buy a pair TH425 trannies, then stuff both in the Firebird you find. Like the Hairy Olds, only called the Scruffy 'Bird.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
      Build both engines, buy a pair TH425 trannies, then stuff both in the Firebird you find. Like the Hairy Olds, only called the Scruffy 'Bird.
      this it must be done now ;D

Comment

Originally posted by 88 Dippy
        Originally posted by Rebeldryver
        this it must be done now ;D
        I was thinking they needed to be lined up like Toymakers V8's! ;D :P
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

No problem finding a reverse rotation cam for an OHC six!

Dan

Comment

better idea weld them together and have a pontiace OHC v12 ;D

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
              No problem finding a reverse rotation cam for an OHC six!
              Bah, small details!

Some quick pictures of the 1967(?) Sprint engine as it sits.

The block date code M296, and if I got the block numbers right it's a '67

Here is a picture of the bypass hose I mentioned that clued me into it not being a '69. The '69 engines did away with the spacer with the by-pass hose.

Bonus! A flywheel on the engine! As well as starter.

I probably should of re-taken this picture. Oh well.

Factory Q-jet

Dual exhaust manifold.

Interesting method of combining the two pipes.

The Sprints had a smaller balancer/pulley for more rpm. Same with the water pump pulley. The Sprints supposibly have smaller crank snouts as well.

Comment

Very cool. Those are some good pieces. I'm guessing that the intake and exhaust are worth the price, never mind the rest of it.

BTW - how weird was the guy? You said he seemed a bit eccentric on the phone.

Dan

Comment

I'm thinking between the intake, exhaust and the flywheel, it should definately be worth the cost.

The guy was just Utah redneck weird. He was about 25'ish, and just looking to make the most money off the deal as possible. Couldn't blame him I guess for that.

Comment

Utah weird? otay. It's got some good bits, seems like a nice deal. I'm digging the split manifold... divided plenum turbines are supposed to spool faster.

I like the foundation on that one - hopefully it's all nice inside too. You'll be the OHC PMD Czar soon. I wonder how many tips you can adopt from the 2jz guys? No offense meant, I am wondering if anything translates.

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
                      Very cool. Those are some good pieces. I'm guessing that the intake and exhaust are worth the price, never mind the rest of it.

BTW - how weird was the guy? You said he seemed a bit eccentric on the phone.

Dan
                      If that Q Jet is date coded and the correct one for that engine, I'm sure you sell it as is on Ebay for the purchase price to some restorer guy.

I always liked the sideways mounted four barrel and the factory split header.
                      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Definitely a score! I'm really digging the motor. With just a decent real dual exhaust pipe, I bet that engine would really scream. Man, I'd just freshen that engine up and stick it in a 1st gen Fiirebird with a 5 speed and some suspension work. You'd really draw a crowd BTW, did you know that Dick Guldstran use to relocate the UCA on the 1 gen Camaros he raced? Something like 5/8 back and down 7/8. Makes a huge difference in handling, he use to walk away from everyone on the road courses and the other Camaro racers could figure out how he did it.
                        Tom
                        Overdrive is overrated

Comment

The engine is on it's way to the basement. It took about two hours to get it off the trailer, onto the "tobogan" and to the top of the basement stairs.

I removed the carburetor to prevent damage to it (I'm not a number's matching guy, but Scott may be right..), pulled the starter because it was hanging up on the tire coming off the trailer, so I removed the clutch and flywheel too. The engine turned over super easy.

I didn't take any pictures of it coming off the trailer. Just come-a-longed it to a 12x2 rafter beam up off the trailer, then set it down on the same pallet and sled. Had one "Oh Crap" moment when it teatered thinking of going over on the manifold side, but it didn't happen.

You can see the rollers under it.

Just have to turn it towards the basement and kick it down the stairs :D You can see the ruts in the mud my feet made pushing. I need to organize my work bench down there to make room for both engines, and keep the parts separate.

This trip was a bit easier than last time. Could be from experience, or it could be lack of ice. Over all it went smoothly, just hit one mud bog that my rollers and me sank into. Interestingly enough, I spent more time pushing the sled than pulling, where as last time I pulled it the whole way. The rollers did a better job I think on the dirt, but at the same time I was trying to cycle a sheet of plywood under them to smooth the ride out.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                            Pete posted this turbo exhaust manifold for the Chevy L6, this engine has slightly different flanges on the head though. Not saying it wouldn't work, but I'd at least like to mock up a stock chevy 250 exhaust manifold up to see how it does/doesn't line up and if any grinding/drilling would solve the problem.
                            Would it be possible to check the matchup using a 250 exhaust gasket? Little easier and cheaper to get.
                            sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by joebogey
                              Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                              Pete posted this turbo exhaust manifold for the Chevy L6, this engine has slightly different flanges on the head though. Not saying it wouldn't work, but I'd at least like to mock up a stock chevy 250 exhaust manifold up to see how it does/doesn't line up and if any grinding/drilling would solve the problem.
                              Would it be possible to check the matchup using a 250 exhaust gasket? Little easier and cheaper to get.
                              I know the stud/bolt locations are slightly different on these engines, so the the gaskets won't line up. The trick is since half the bolts that hold the intake/exhaust manifolds on are clamping washers, is to see if some material can be ground on the manifolds to accomodate the difference.

Comment

What a score. Man that looks like a bitch'n engine.

Comment

Working...
                                X