No announcement yet.

Rebeldryver's '70 Caprice Granny's Luxo-Muscle-Barge

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The goal being reducing compression, you should be fine.

I"m glad the guides are OK, that's a chunk of cash saved.
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

• Sounds like a no brainer to me - fix the exhaust seat - do a standard valve job, new seals, make sure the decks are flat - and enjoy the reduced compression and pump gas friendliness of the updated combination.... this isn't a race car.
      There's always something new to learn.

Comment

• I will probably have $500 in them before they are installed on the car, but it is the least expensive way I know of to make this a more pump gas friendly cruiser. I want to get the AC back in it before summer and drive it more.

I think the smaller valves that are not shrouded and the high lift cam should produce high port velocity and increase torque.
        BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Originally posted by Scott Liggett View Post
          I will probably have $500 in them before they are installed on the car, but it is the least expensive way I know of to make this a more pump gas friendly cruiser. I want to get the AC back in it before summer and drive it more.

I think the smaller valves that are not shrouded and the high lift cam should produce high port velocity and increase torque.
          It will.. Did that theory with small heads on a 327.. Got the velocity and driveability..
          When I later put different heads on it with bigger valves, it got more top end and less driveability..

Comment

• This reminds me, I want to measure out some port volumes on my intake manifold while it's off the car....
            Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

• Got stainless valves for the heads today. The new Isky springs, 8005a, will be in tomorrow. The heads should be done in a couple weeks.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Looking for some thoughts on what I should do about my rallys. I had the centers knocked out of the stock 15x6's and welded into new chromed hoops, 15x8 and 15x10's. The fronts still look great, but the rears are rusted already. The company that did the won't stand behind their product, but instead accused me of using the wrong wheel cleaner on them. Too pissed to go into it anymore. So, now I am trying to decide what to do about them now. I don't plan on buying new ones. Right now, I am considering having the whole wheel rechromed; or sand blast them and paint them. The latter is the cheapest by far.

Here they are.

The rear rusty ones.

The fronts are still good looking.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• Blast and paint if they were mine. I like them better painted with the trim rings. Sucks they failed so fast-would have happened in a month here.

Comment

• I guess you need to put lotsa wax on everything out there by the coast, eh? sucks. Years ago we visited disneyland in my 55 chevy, after 3 days the polished aluminum air cleaners turned white with oxidation. They'd been in AZ for two years and never had a problem.

Sandblasting chrome is a pita.

I'd rub them good with steel wool to get most of the rust off, then douse them with wax on a regular basis.
                    My fabulous web page

Comment

• ^^^^^
                      this.

i dont know of anybody that stands behind chrome steel wheels. new ones come out of box oiled so they dont rust in the box.
                      Charles

Comment

• Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                        I'd rub them good with steel wool to get most of the rust off, then douse them with wax on a regular basis.
                        3rd, can we carry the motion forward?

Some 0000 steel wool with some good chrome polish and then wax the piss out of them.
                        If you can leave two black stripes from the exit of one corner to the braking zone of the next, you have enough horsepower. - Mark Donohue

Comment

• That sucks. That's the problem with chrome, looks great for a short period of time. What's nice about painted wheels is you can repaint when they look shitty. I'm not into polishing stuff.
                          Tom
                          Overdrive is overrated

Comment

• My Cragar's on the Impala still look nice when I clean them and I bought them in 1997. So these turning to rust in less than a year is pathetic.

I don't think the rears will clean up with steel wool and polish. There is too much chrome missing.

I would kinda like to have the whole wheel chromed at this point. I am going to get an estimate for cost.

The reason I went for the chromed hoops because the trim rings were a pain in the ass. They were also stolen along with the center caps by some crackhead.
                            Last edited by Scott Liggett; March 13, 2013, 10:16 PM.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

• The chroming process doesn't work very well on wheels that are already assembled, the chrome won't "throw" to the area between the center and hoop.

you might be surprised how much better they can look with some clean up...even though they won't ever be show quality, they can look ok. The chrome slots on the back of my 55 were pretty much solid rust, but after some scrubbing they're mostly shiny.
                              My fabulous web page

Comment

• Scott - have you looked into powder coating? There are some powder coats that nearly pass for chrome and hold up and last allot longer.

I hate chrome for the same reason I hate black vehicles - I'd rather drive them then clean them... LOL
                                There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Working...
                                X