Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rebeldryver's '70 Caprice Granny's Luxo-Muscle-Barge

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
    Its quieter now, bit still makes noises. I'm not happy with them at all. I'm also not super thrilled with the cam I chose either. I may end up switching it out. We'll see. There are other things I want fixed first.
    Too big or too little?
    Whiskey for my men ... and beer for their horses!

Comment

I want a lopier idle and higher rpm. I need headers and possibly better heads. A higher stall convertor in the 2400 rpm area.
      BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I want a lopier idle and higher rpm. I need headers and possibly better heads. A higher stall convertor in the 2400 rpm area.
        Would a comp thumpr cam work? I'm still curious to hear real world feedback about these cams. I haven't seen too many reports, other than mag stories.

If it truely has that hard hitting idle and still makes streetable power, seems like a winner to me! And now that they make nonroller versions, anyone can use them.

Comment

Wait a minute Scott - you're starting to sound a lot like Aaron with his two fairlanes.

I thought you were going to keep the Caprice more of a cruiser - and the Impala was the place for the hipo stuff?
          There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by andy30thz
            Would a comp thumpr cam work? I'm still curious to hear real world feedback about these cams. I haven't seen too many reports, other than mag stories.

If it truely has that hard hitting idle and still makes streetable power, seems like a winner to me! And now that they make nonroller versions, anyone can use them.
            I put one in my buddys 360 small chevy in his corvette
            nasty sounding Idle and it is responsive and rev' makes good power I was happy he is thrilled

Comment

Sorry to hijack Scott.

Jay - did you get the thumper cam and lifter kit or did you spec out different lifters?
              all this talk about Isky, Rhoades, etc, has me thinking.
              There's always something new to learn.

Comment

Originally posted by milner351
                Sorry to hijack Scott.

Jay - did you get the thumper cam and lifter kit or did you spec out different lifters?
                all this talk about Isky, Rhoades, etc, has me thinking.
                Yess sorry for the hi jack

I gave him cam specs I wanted to work in for his car and he got me a thumper flat tappet kit with lifters I was happy and am building a vortec 383 for my buddys K5 now with there roller in to see how that does will let ya know but I seem to always run comp lifters since my stock pile of GM's has gone away used to have boxes of the GM HD ones from early 70's all used up now so I run Comps no complants

Comment

The one reason why I didn't buy a Comp cam, an Extreme series or Thumpr, was their intake lobes' opening ramps are designed to open very fast and build cylinder pressure. Comp's street cams build cylinder pressure to make up for high compression. I was concerned with the Caprices already 10.25:1 compression with it's iron heads to build even more cylinder pressure.

I had to make a total compromise on cam choice. You can relieve some problems with high compression with more duration and increase valve overlap, but you also have low vacuum at idle. I couldn't afford another set of heads. I also have a car whose entire AC/heat system operates on vacuum. It needs close to 15 inches to operate the doors and valves.

The Caprice's torque peak is really low in the rpm. I'm not sure where, but it's probably around 3200 rpm max. So, it pulls very hard, very earlier; but it also means it falls off very early. The Impala really starts to pull around 3500 rpm. It's very noticeable in the seat. I kinda like that better.

When you are building on an extremely limited budget as I did, you have to make decisions that you may not like. I know, as funds come, along I can upgrade.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

I bought a new fuel log for the DP carb, a new tach, pcv valve, longer carb studs, and fuel line hose clamps today. I'm going to fix a few things that I find annoying and unsafe on the car tomorrow before Randal's party.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Bringing the luxo-cruiser down?
                      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

party? where?
                        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel
                          party? where?
                          Upland, CA at 6pm tomorrow. Should I add another one or two people to the guest list? ;D
                          Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

no, we have a lunch date here....

My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick
                              Bringing the luxo-cruiser down?
                              I'm not driving the impala any distances until I get the trans fixed.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Hey fellow Caprice Lover! mines a small block- 355 - iron heads ( lots of head work) 410 Eaton, electric water pump, Turbo 350/TCI converter -ect........ runs 12:50's @ 106 NA and a best of 11:71 @ 114 on a hundred shot - Its really just used as a street cruiser though. I will try and post a better pic (new at this).... you can check out a video at Goggle Videos - Caprice 1

Comment

Working...
                                X