Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Rebeldryver's '70 Caprice Granny's Luxo-Muscle-Barge

Originally posted by milner351
    I'm paranoid - I usually change the oil right after the cam break in, to get all the assembly lube, lint, etc, out as soon as possible.

hmmm you'd think Isky is top shelf stuff.... I wonder why the lifters bleed down so easy. You can always adjust the valves the quick and dirty way, warmed up engine running at idle - back off till click, tighten 1/2(?) turn
    - but I'd hate to do that with your super clean and detailed engine compartment!
    I've done it that way many, many times on the Impala's engine. Several old T shirt rags and old towels cut down on the mess, but only just.
    BS'er formally known as Rebeldryver

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

You can cut the tops out of your old valve covers - that helps a lot. They also make those little clips to cover the oil holes but I'm not sure how much they help.

Dan

Comment

Awesome!!

Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Just watched the Vids. Great Job.

Sounds like you have a bunch of low end torque.

Comment

Originally posted by Rebeldryver
            It was amazing how freaked out people were that I was driving the car with no fender or hood. You'd think I was driving around with my hair on fire.
            I would've thought, in your neck of the woods, you
            would've gone un noticed

;D

Cool video
            Thom

"The object is to keep your balls on the table and knock everybody else's off..."

Comment

Originally posted by DanStokes
              You can cut the tops out of your old valve covers - that helps a lot. They also make those little clips to cover the oil holes but I'm not sure how much they help.

Dan
              I may end up having to use them. The chromed ones are taller than stock and I may have an issue getting my top AC bracket on the engine.

I got a freebie set of sbc valve covers and have never cut them yet.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

It was drizzling heavy all day, but I still got the fender on. So, now it's not so redneck looking.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

One of my favorite builds yet, low buck yet thorough, really quick too, you didn't keep us waiting in suspense. What a cool car too...I cringe when I think how many cool old big block cars we all let go over the years......sigh.

Comment

It looks even greater now that we know there serious business in the engine compartment!!

Comment

Hey Scott, have you considered using a 1" carb spacer to help with the lean-out of the idle mixture? May sound goofy, but with my '66 Plymouth 383 BB, it made a bit of a difference, both in the idle and in the seat-of-the-pants feel.

Comment

is there room under the hood for a 1" carb spacer?
                        My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Now that it is road worth its time for a trip to Bob's Big Boy on Friday night. Scott its been great reading this thread. Between you and Seth (64 Malibu) and Dirty White boy ... im getting back into the fun of this stuff. My last vehicle was a total turd (2000 S-10 Xtreme) and really made me lose focus on the enjoyment working on cars can bring. Now that I have my grandpa fresh 1987 caprice brougham im back in it full throttle. I have already had to tackle a broken A.I.R. tube removal on the driver side exh manifold. Fortunate thing for those of us who dont have to worry to much about rust. ViceGrips work wonders for stubborn fasteners.

Oh... if you do head to Bob's....Pictures Please. I last visited in Aug 2007.
                          Todd K.
                          [/SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]"LIFE is a Two-Way Street. If you can't handle the traffic; stay in the garage."

Comment

Scott, me thinks this is going to be your next DD and the 65 relegated to driveway duty.
                            Tom
                            Overdrive is overrated

Comment

Originally posted by Motor City Impala
                              Now that it is road worth its time for a trip to Bob's Big Boy on Friday night. Scott its been great reading this thread. Between you and Seth (64 Malibu) and Dirty White boy ... im getting back into the fun of this stuff. My last vehicle was a total turd (2000 S-10 Xtreme) and really made me lose focus on the enjoyment working on cars can bring. Now that I have my grandpa fresh 1987 caprice brougham im back in it full throttle. I have already had to tackle a broken A.I.R. tube removal on the driver side exh manifold. Fortunate thing for those of us who dont have to worry to much about rust. ViceGrips work wonders for stubborn fasteners.

Oh... if you do head to Bob's....Pictures Please. I last visited in Aug 2007.
                              Todd K.
                              A dispatcher at my office bought a totally grandpa fresh 87 Caprice with only 33k miles on it from a 88 year old retired cop. He paid only $1100 for it and has probably doubled the mileage in the lsst year and a half. It has the carbed 305 with brown paint and tan vinyl interior. He gets more people trying to buy it than I do.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by Huskinhano
                                Scott, me thinks this is going to be your next DD and the 65 relegated to driveway duty.
                                I ve got to rebuild the front end on the Caprice first. Its funny because are the parts I bought first and they will be going on last.

Then the Impala will get some serious attention to its body and interior.

Resident Instigator

sigpic

Comment

Working...
                                X