Muscle Truck: Ford version

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Muscle Truck: Ford version

Ok, so I admit this truck is not nearly as cool, or nearly as fast as Frieburger's Chevy, but the concept is still the same. This is my '79 F250 Ranger Camper Special that I've had for the last 3 years or so. It started out as a 3/4-ton, but I swapped the Dana 60 rear for a Trac-Lok 9" and I also swapped the 8-lug spindles for 5-lug when I added the 3" dropped I-beams. I also did a spring-flip in the rear to get 5" of drop. I'd like to go more, but I'm limited in the front unless I do a Mustang II setup.

The truck is fairly rust-free, limited to just a few spots of surface rust, mostly from the camper special mirrors that it originally had. 50K original miles, factory 460/C6, air, cruise, tilt. I also added delay wipers since I got it, a sport wheel from a Maverick (I think), and removed the fake wood-grain trim from the interior. I'm partial to the '77 grilles, so I swapped out the square-headlight '79 grille for the '77 setup. I ended up scoring a brand new unused front bumper for cheap from a guy at a swap meet who was cleaning out his garage, so I just got it put on. It's a Taiwan bumper, but it was cheap, so it will work for now.

Just got the 460 dropped back in the F250 after some freshening up. It is decidedly mild, but it runs much better than stock. Bottom end was untouched, since it was still tight with the low miles. I ported the exhaust side of the heads, lapped the valves back in, added a Performer intake and 750 carb, and repainted everything. Cam is a mild Lunati Voodoo 61600 setup. I kept the duration low due to the stock 8:1 compression. Idle is dead smooth, but it really comes alive after that. I rebuilt the C6 with a kit from TCI, added extra clutch disks to 2nd and 3rd gear, along with a shift kit. Torque converter is a TCI Sizzler, plus 400rpm over stock. Definately not a race truck, but it's faster than it was before I started. Still have some bugs to work out, but she runs pretty good. Will spin the tires from a 10mph roll in 1st, chirps 2nd if you get on it from any speed. Fun for now. On to the pics...

The motor looked so good after I dropped it in the truck that I had to clean and paint the engine compartment as well. Glad I did, I think it turned out pretty good.

Interior pics:

That's all for now. What do you think?
    Still plays with trucks....

Re: Muscle Truck: Ford version

I didn't think they had trucks that clean in PA. ;) Nice looking pick-em up.

Nik

Comment

nice truck Eric, I like those old f-series.
      Reading , Pa
      Good Guys rodders rep.
      "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
      Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

Originally posted by Nik
        I didn't think they had trucks that clean in PA. ;) Nice looking pick-em up.

Nik
        Me neither, that's why I bought it when I saw it. This is an original PA truck, but was owned by an older man and only used to pull his 5th wheel camper. It was never out in the winter, garaged when not used, and since it had a 5th wheel in the bed, rarely hauled anything. The bed is straight and only has a few scratches in the floor.

Comment

Great truck, my favorite style F-series. I love the valve covers too, nice touch.
          Just groovin' to my own tune.

Comment

Sweet truck.....Good Job.

Seth
            200 mph or bust.......

Comment

I'm with you on the '77 grill. The stance is really nice as well.

Comment

im trying to sell my 460 powered 65 f100 these days. its been listed a few days and all i have gotten is spam. :

Comment

What do I think? I think it looks awesome!! I have particular sentiment to that kind of truck since my granddad bought one new in 1975 (like yours but a burnt orange color instead of green) on a bet with my dad, who was supposed to buy a new tractor if he bought a truck. My dad never followed through on his end of the bargain to buy that tractor, instead weaseling out of it some way. But since my granddad never really needed a truck, it sat mostly unused for 30 years and when he died at a ripe young age of 96, it only had 26,000 miles on it. Unfortunately I never got a chance to buy it since my aunt sold it to a neighbor. In any case, I like that body style and yours looks really cool. Can you show us more pics of it, including the bed? What's the gear ratio in the differential? If you ever want to get rid of it, I might be in the market for a nice old truck like that.
                  President, Wicked Rides Poland

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...eau-Club-Wagon

Comment

Nice truck man. You did a good job. :D
                    I R Bob
                    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by yogreasygramma
                      What do I think? I think it looks awesome!! I have particular sentiment to that kind of truck since my granddad bought one new in 1975 (like yours but a burnt orange color instead of green) on a bet with my dad, who was supposed to buy a new tractor if he bought a truck. My dad never followed through on his end of the bargain to buy that tractor, instead weaseling out of it some way. But since my granddad never really needed a truck, it sat mostly unused for 30 years and when he died at a ripe young age of 96, it only had 26,000 miles on it. Unfortunately I never got a chance to buy it since my aunt sold it to a neighbor. In any case, I like that body style and yours looks really cool. Can you show us more pics of it, including the bed? What's the gear ratio in the differential? If you ever want to get rid of it, I might be in the market for a nice old truck like that.
                      Rear gear is a 3.50 for now, but I'm considering going up to 3.25 or 3.00 to help the revs on the highway. Right now it spins almost 3000 at 70mph. I did pick up a used Doug Nash Engineering external overdrive unit for it, but it needs a lot of work and I can't find parts for it. I might go with a Gear Vendors unit someday, or a built AOD, but either of those options will have to wait for funds.

Btw, I'll never to sell this one ;D.

Comment

Good looking truck! My first truck was a '73 F-100.
                        Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
                        1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
                        1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
                        1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
                        1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
                        1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

My first was a '79 F100. Parted it out, but still have the cab, it is going on my '79 F350 4x4. ;D

Comment

Well done!
                            Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Nice truck Eric! I think you nailed the stance perfectly, well done.

My dad has a '70 1/2 ton, 390ci, C-6, 2 wheel drive. He bought it in '73 to tow our travel trailer. He had the engine rebuilt recently and I put a new carb and aluminum intake on it this year. It is the nicest riding old truck I have ever driven.

Speaking of which, how is the ride with the dropped arms and axle flip? I would really like to lower it for him.

Comment

Working...
                              X