Veteran's visit during Power Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Veteran's visit during Power Tour

This topic has kind of gotten mixed in with the Power Tour Parties thread, so I thought I would start a thread just for this. Is anyone "officially" in charge of coordinating the visit? Not sure who did this last year. If they want to do it again, that would be great! If not, maybe we can all pull something together to set up something. Mrfred has found a local VFW that might be interested in helping out with a venue, etc., as the local vet's hospital apparently has very limited parking. The VFW has asked for more info. Ok to contact them and see what they are willing to do? Comments?!
    Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
    Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

If we're going to shoot for Friday before HRPT starts as has been done in the past it seems the VFW appears to be the only option at present and they do seemed to be involved with the community and seem to be interested in us. But me and the boys will follow whatever is decided on.
    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Linda used to do a lot of work on these but have not seen her on here lately.
      Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

She turned it over to somebody last year.......can't remember who, though.

Found the thread from last year: rocco3750 took it over. Haven't seen him around this year..........
        Last edited by oletrux4evr; December 19, 2014, 05:38 PM.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
          If we're going to shoot for Friday before HRPT starts as has been done in the past it seems the VFW appears to be the only option at present and they do seemed to be involved with the community and seem to be interested in us. But me and the boys will follow whatever is decided on.
          that seems like a plan....(the last time we were in that area, we did a gathering at the Quaker Steak and Lube)......anyway, it would take someone local to organize the event, set the time and date, collect the funds,....seems like that event would not attract the vets, but would be a fund raiser for the vets.....thoughts?
          Last edited by rexdogg; December 19, 2014, 05:36 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by elcaminogirl59 View Post
            This topic has kind of gotten mixed in with the Power Tour Parties thread, so I thought I would start a thread just for this. Is anyone "officially" in charge of coordinating the visit? Not sure who did this last year. If they want to do it again, that would be great! If not, maybe we can all pull something together to set up something. Mrfred has found a local VFW that might be interested in helping out with a venue, etc., as the local vet's hospital apparently has very limited parking. The VFW has asked for more info. Ok to contact them and see what they are willing to do? Comments?!
            It was Amigo2k a local from Madison who first mentioned this VFW chapter. Here is their facebook page https://www.facebook.com/VFW8483 . It looks like they have a regular Friday fish fry, so maybe the could do something Friday afternoon before that and we could stay for the fish fry.

Comment

It was previously mentioned that maybe a shuttle bus could be arranged to bring some of the vets to the VFW. I guess what we need at this point is someone to step up and volunteer to organize this thing!!! I would be willing to help, but we really need someone in the Madison area involved. Amigo2K ( think his name is Ryan), would you be willing to help?
              Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

In 2009 I handled this in Madison with the Quaker Steak & Lube. Unfortunately my schedule at this time will not allow me to take charge this year. But I am looking forward seeing everyone in June.
                Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

I have a friend who is the top banana at the VA in Jackson, Ms. I don't know what her official title is but she makes the decisions. I told her we MIGHT be coming through Jackson and she says they'd love to have us swing through their place if we have time.

Just a thought, Dean

Comment

bump.....Any more thoughts or suggestions?

Comment

Bump Very interested as a Wisconsin local and the son of a vet would love to participate.

Comment

Is there anyone close to Madison who could contact the local VFW and see if something can be worked out??????
                        Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                        The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Any idea of how many cars might go? Not much parking around the V A Hospital in Madison. It's attached to a very large hospital and shares a parking ramp. And it's right off of the UW Madison campus.

Comment

About 30 - 40 cars usually
                            Phil / Omaha

Comment

Phil / Omaha

Comment

Working...
                              X