Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2015 powertour prep - what do YOU have planned for your ride?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 powertour prep - what do YOU have planned for your ride?

Afternoon kids...trust you all have been good.

Mel and I are beginning the planning stages for PT2015.

With that said, what does your ride need done before the tour?

I'm officially starting my look for a TKO500 for the GTS. My top loader is having issues with 4th gear from too many speed shifts.
    Anyone know of one floating around, let me know.

I'll need to swap the main shafts to put it behind a 351 Cleveland but that's part of the fun.
    I plan on reusing my bellhouse, and mechanical linkage, and drop in a new clutch kit.

Other things on the list:
    *Window tint
    *Solve the mystery of my never-ending belt squealing nightmare about 4k RPM. Possibly looking at a replacement belt drive.
    Lusting at this system, but I just don't like the look of the bracket for the power steering pump.

*Resolve the issues with my blower fan harness woes. I keep melting harness sections and burning up switches.

One of Ford's better ideas routing full power for a blower fan through the switch instead of a relay...I just want to retrofit it without modifying my HVAC controls.
    Looking at maybe getting Crown Vic HVAC controls and seeing if I can adapt the relay setup and switch controls to my original blower setup.

*Swap out my small bearing 9" for my big bearing 9" housing. Suffering axle walk issues, lock ring replacements are NOT the correct size for my car and I can't locate the correct size to match my original lock ring size.
    Andrew
    1972 Ford Gran Torino Sport and other FoCoMo problem children

2020...year of getting screwed by a Narcissist and learning hard lessons into trusting the wrong people on a business venture.
    2021...year of singing "99 problems but an asshole ain't one"

Moved cross country twice on a role of the dice...I left Nebraska and came back to Nebraska.

I bought the car mostly restored, but it had a lot of problems. In the last couple of years I've completely rebuilt the front suspension/brakes to a dual bowl power disc brake set up (already had discs). The interior was gutted for sound deadener, new carpet, TMI seat covers, modern stereo/speakers, 3 point seat belts, and door panels. The rebuilt motor was hardly driven for many years and leaked like a sieve. All of those are now taken care of except for the intake manifold. I also added a vintage air A/C kit, aluminum radiator, and Pertronix.

I drove the car to Charlotte and Tennessee last year for the tour and the C4 went on my way home. Yay, right? So I made the swap to a T5, 5 speed, but have a vibration problem. I'm 99% sure it's because I didn't have the new flywheel match balanced to old flexplate (motor was rebuilt, so they likely used flexplate to balance it... didn't think of that at the time). So I bought a new RAM flywheel and clutch kit. Should be here soon.

*Car overheats in traffic with A/C on (typical mustang), I had to leave the A/C off last year when we got stuck in traffic, NOT FUN. so install new 2 speed fan and Mad Enterprise controller.

*New intake manifold gaskets.

*Remove T5, have new flywheel match balanced, re install T5.

*Finish upholstery.

*Reinstall dash.

Fingers crossed she'll be ready to rock after that!

I hope to have most of it done by January/February and to put some serious miles on her before the trip.

If anyone is interested in my car, I chronicled the build so far here:

http://67-72chevytrucks.com/vboard/s...d.php?t=526257
    Last edited by Jesse James 80; December 12, 2014, 01:18 PM.
    1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
    1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
    1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

I need to find a NON ECM 700R4 or everything to swap a stick into my 84 C-10. 10 mpg is just not gonna work for power tour. Then I need a money tree to pay for it & the time to install it before the tour.
      Last edited by trukluvr; December 12, 2014, 01:45 PM.
      Hauling ass & sucking gas are the best uses for a truck.

Comment

Originally posted by trukluvr View Post
        I need to find a NON ECM 700R4 or everything to swap a stick into my 84 C-10. 10 mpg is just not gonna work for power tour. Then I need a money tree to pay for it & the time to install it before the tour.
        Check your PM.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

Carbon fiber hood, carbon fiber spoiler, cold air intake and a new set of wheels and tires.
          Visit my sons blog:
          www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

I need to finish installing my multi-point injection and
            get some miles on it... I should be done in a week on
            the injection but I think I'll wait till spring to get the miles
            on it... I might raise the front up 1.5".... its a bit too low...
            but as of now my buddy and I arent sure if we will do PT

Comment

Since the El Camino just got new body work and paint, about all she needs is some custom pinstriping and the seat recovered, and she'll be good to go!
              Attached Files
              Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
              Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

Originally posted by Damon23 View Post
                Carbon fiber hood, carbon fiber spoiler, cold air intake and a new set of wheels and tires.
                Sounds cool
                Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Have to finish up on this install.

Comment

change heater core, upgrade stereo system, brake up grades, rear end swap, build another t5, tint windows. Time to start ordering stuff! I still have to decide which wheels I will put on it for the trip.

Comment

Originally posted by MR P-BODY View Post
                      I need to finish installing my multi-point injection and
                      get some miles on it... I should be done in a week on
                      the injection but I think I'll wait till spring to get the miles
                      on it... I might raise the front up 1.5".... its a bit too low...
                      but as of now my buddy and I arent sure if we will do PT
                      Hope it's nothing serious that is making you consider staying home.......and yep, it's wise to raise it up a bit. Those roads in parts of MI, and IL, especially have some really rough areas.
                      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

The Gremlin is nearly done. Just need to tint the windows to minimize the heat (no A/C) during the tour. Hopefully cut a portion of the roll-bar so I can put in the rear seat (have to get new leather on it) back in. Otherwise will put the platform back in so it looks nice for the ride. Update the radio to something more current. The Jensen with Cassette Tape has seen it's days.
                        Long Hauler '14,'15 - Black C6 Convertible HRPT'16 - Poor Man's Vet - '74 Gremlin - I HOPE!

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                          Hope it's nothing serious that is making you consider staying home.......and yep, it's wise to raise it up a bit. Those roads in parts of MI, and IL, especially have some really rough areas.
                          The wife has to have a hip replaced and she might not be up
                          to doing the daily stuff when the PT starts ... we will see.. your
                          right on the Mi roads.. they SUCK big time.. if I raise it up I'll
                          have to move my upper strut mounts to the lower side of the bar

Comment

Originally posted by WI BLACK VET View Post
                            The Gremlin is nearly done. Just need to tint the windows to minimize the heat (no A/C) during the tour. Hopefully cut a portion of the roll-bar so I can put in the rear seat (have to get new leather on it) back in. Otherwise will put the platform back in so it looks nice for the ride. Update the radio to something more current. The Jensen with Cassette Tape has seen it's days.
                            Nice, I hope the Gremlin makes the call!
                            Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

All my parts $$$ are here... time to get to it.
                              1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
                              1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
                              1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

Working...
                              X