My new Power Tour Project!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My new Power Tour Project!

Here's the new project. I've been looking for this body type for about 8 months. It's very straight, has a small, but, not all the way through rust spot about the size of a quarter. The guy had it on Craigslist for awhile. He took the motor out last week and came down on price. I got it for a song. It's a great base for what I'm wanting to do. Hopefully I can bring it home from the farm the first of Sept. after some things get moved around.
    Arlington, Texarkana, Little Rock, 2013
    Long Hauler 2014, 2016, 2018
    Kansas City 2017

Nice ... what plans ?

Comment

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...n-block-wanted

http://www.bangshift.com/forum/showt...-Blue-Turd(le)

Comment

Well, with lessons learned from this years tour. The cooling system, and brakes are at the top of the list. I want overkill on those. Probably a mild 350, 700r4, that gets decent gas mileage. The hubby has a combination he builds, that has plenty of torque, but still gets around 22 mpg. Probably going to get rid of the bench seat. I bought a set of swivel buckets at a swap meet this year in great condition for $20. But, my main goals is a reliable driver that I can drive anywhere, anytime.
        Kansas City 2017

Comment

That's the weirdest thing. I just had a dream that I bought one of those! It looks like a great start. Good luck.
          I R Bob
          You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
          2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Cool, Loretta! Looks like we both have projects going!
            Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
            Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

For what it's worth, I like it! Allen probably won't agree, but that's OK.
              Last edited by oletrux4evr; July 30, 2014, 07:58 PM.
              Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
              HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
                For what it's worth, I like it! Allen probably won't agree, but that's OK.
                "why's everybody always picking on me?"

So I would have thought a junkyard LS6 with a 4L80E would deliver sub 10 second 1/4 mile times while getting 30+ mpg on the road
                Last edited by cstmwgn; July 31, 2014, 05:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 1972Behemoth View Post
                  Here's the new project. I've been looking for this body type for about 8 months. It's very straight, has a small, but, not all the way through rust spot about the size of a quarter. The guy had it on Craigslist for awhile. He took the motor out last week and came down on price. I got it for a song. It's a great base for what I'm wanting to do. Hopefully I can bring it home from the farm the first of Sept. after some things get moved around.
                  Looks like a great project! I've also been considering this body style, we had a new 1976 Malibu wagon back in the day. LS power, comfort, reliability, nice driver! Will be anxious to follow progress!
                  Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
                  Gregg and Deb Miller
                  Verona, Wi.

Comment

Sweet!!! I freaking love those!
                    2013- Murphy, NC Road Side Fan Between Chattanooga & Charlotte 2014- Charlotte-Knoxville-Charleston: 2013 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

Nice - love those side windows.
                      Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

"So I would have thought a junkyard LS6 with a 4L80E would deliver sub 10 second 1/4 mile times while getting 30+ mpg on the road
                        Loretta, FWIW, on last year's NERR, there was an original 73 SS stick car with an LS1/6speed from a 4th gen F-body. My understanding is it was an easy fit. For less money, you should be able to get a 5.3 and tranny out of of pickup, & either leave alone or add LS1 or LS6 cam and intake and get mid 20 mpg easily with 325 hp @ the wheels. When it was stock, by 05 3800 lb GTO LS2/6speed got 26mpg @ 65mph
                        a.k.a. - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

Originally posted by convss View Post
                          Looks like a great project! I've also been considering this body style, we had a new 1976 Malibu wagon back in the day. LS power, comfort, reliability, nice driver! Will be anxious to follow progress!
                          They are getting harder to find, at least in good condition. I looked for a long time before deciding on this one. An LS 5.3 is not a bad idea, we have one in a wrecked truck we bought awhile back. Keep the ideas coming, I am looking forward to restoring this one, I like that it's still a Chevy but, you don't see that many of them being done,yet.
                          Kansas City 2017

Comment

Nice project! Is it a '73?
                            Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

It's a 74. I really wanted a 73 SS. But I couldn't pass this one up.
                              Kansas City 2017

Comment

Working...
                              X