• 2014 HRPT photo Thread

Post your photos here
    Longhauler 2009,2011
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans

Wish We were going
    Longhauler 2009,2011
    Life is what happens to you while you're busy making other plans

Comment

74 novaman's 66mustang gt thread in "projects has a bunch of photos...

Comment

Broke the trans on the way to Concord...

but we called a rollback local to my home and asked them to pick up my wife's 99GT and bring it to us and take the 67 home. After a long wait, we were back on the road. Nobody pays any attention to the lowly 99 but at least we are still having fun on the drive.
        Married to Tara, that makes me the TARA-fied 1!

Comment

Here are my photos.

Bringing you TONS of Hot Rod Power Tour Coverage from Charlotte to Charleston, WV! Stay tuned for thousands of pictures and when I return home, tons of video!
          2013- Murphy, NC Road Side Fan Between Chattanooga & Charlotte 2014- Charlotte-Knoxville-Charleston: 2013 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

You guys and Patrick must be the only BangShifters on the PT........thanks for keeping us informed on how it's going.
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Ed, we have some pictures but can't seem to get them posted.
              Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Thanks Jim, we'll appreciate it when you can.
                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

My Stuff:

Sometime in 1966 my dad ordered a 66 Mustang GT. This was his first brand new car. The first pictures that we have of the car are from 1967, where we can see
                  Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                  74 Nova Project
                  66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                  79 Chevy Truck Project
                  1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Copied and pasted from other messageboards I frequent...

HRPT was a blast. Dad and I had been talking about this for a few years now, and finally decided to pull the trigger on it.

We left early Friday morning and encountered a bunch of fog on I-77 in Ohio.

We didn't see any PT cars until we got into Mabscott, West Virginia. At a gas station, we saw these two guys and talked to them for a little bit before hitting the road.

Once into North Carolina, I saw a sign for Wilkesboro and remembered that there was a NASCAR track in N. Wilkesboro that shut down in the '90s. There were some great races there, and I figured it might be worth a 20-minute diversion.

After snapping this picture, I noticed an old man shuffling towards us very slowly. I wondered if we'd be getting shot, or if he'd called the cops on us, or just wanted to see what we were up to.

Turns out, he worked at the track for 50+ years and had the keys to the joint. So we went inside and up into the grandstands with this old fellow who later introduced himself as Paul.

This was our vantage point, as Paul spent about 45 minutes talking to us about the good ol' days. Dude's got quite the memory.

As you can see, it's fairly run down...

We said our farewells and headed to Mooresville, hoping to score some Robert Yates Racing merchandise. After stopping at his engine shop and finding it pretty much closed for the day, I took this picture.

Penske Racing South is nearby, so we also stopped there. The last time I was at PRS, it was in a much smaller building and they were running Dodges. This place was much nicer...

After this, we hit Roush-Yates Racing and I finally scored some Robert Yates swag - a license plate with the old logo! Then it was off to the hotel, where we found this cool-ass wagon, part of a group of cars we would later dub the "Iowa Gang". (this is also the first of several pictures that have a finger or thumb in it - you try juggling a cameraphone and a beer at the same time!!!)

We also met Bob and Mary, who own this amazing 1953 Packard. It has an LS3 under the hood, is bagged all the way around, and got a fair amount of attention every time I saw it.

Bob is a cagey older dude who knows his stuff. He and Mary hung out with us for the first two nights. Bob drank some of my Tecate, and the both of 'em seemed to put up with us, making us feel very welcome.

Z-Max...

The night before we departed for Knoxville, we were sitting along the roadside in front of Wingate watching cars go by. There were some burnouts, yeah! Later, someone emptied the water out of their cooler into the road and made a burnout box. The 5-0 showed up and just made their presence known. I shuffled off to my room and took this as I was getting ready for bed...

We left Charlotte for Knoxville fairly early, and encountered a really sharp Pacer.

There were some pretty roads.

And some small towns near Lake Lure.

And some cool cars.

I met this guy in 2010 at a CrownVic.net meet at the St. Thomas Assembly plant.

I love '70-71 Montegos and Cyclones. It was really great seeing this one. At one point during the week, he was sitting in the median, appearing broken down. Turns out, he was just lost. We got him going again.

We found a BBQ joint along the route that was EMPTY. They had a smoker going and it smelled good, so we stopped. This '57 Ford came in after us. Also - This would have been a good picture, had my finger not been in it.

Here's where I parked initially in Knoxville; I later moved to a shaded spot near Bob and Mary (and the exit).

Heh.

This one was more of a rumbler, though.

This thing hauls a trailer that's made out of some tubing, a Coke cooler, and a dinette set. It's hilarious to see a table and seats rolling down the road.

You know you want this...

I also met a guy from NE Ohio named Gary. He was on his first PT with his grandson, Anthony. Gary just bought his low-mile Marauder earlier this year. I resisted the temptation to call him Mr. Odder (look at his plate).

I think this was on the Knoxville-Charleston run, but I don't remember where.

Saw this guy pulled over between Knoxville and Charleston with an El Camino with his hood up. They were trying to figure out why the car made a loud 'bang' noise and broke down and wouldn't start. We stopped to render assistance. The Impala dude was checking for spark and I'm thinking the whole time it's just out of gas.

Carb was bone dry. We all worked together checking the fuel pump, found it was working, so I drove and got the guy a few gallons of gas. Fired right up. Mr. El Camino will need to fix that when he gets home.

Dad and I diverted off of US-119 at the Tug Fork on the KY/WV border, and got on WV-52. This was the most fun road of the whole PT and I wish it would've been on the route as it added only about 10 miles. We went this way because I wanted to see this.

The cemetery is at the top of a very steep, very tall hill. The path leading up to it is mostly large rocks that aren't really that stable. It makes for a precarious and exhausting climb. Also, the mosquitoes are AWFUL once you get about halfway up. But then there's Devil Anse Hatfield to greet you when you get there.

I didn't take too many pictures once we got into Charleston, but I did see the Duke boys in our hotel parking lot.

And then we were back in Ohio.

...which is very flat compared to the other states I was in this past weekend.

I celebrated my return with this heart attack at the local bar.
                    2003 Marauder (HRPT 2014, 2018)
                    1962 C-10 (2019 HRPT - now sold)
                    1991 Country Squire (2023 HRPT?)

Comment

Also took some GoPro footage but was concerned about space, and then had some dead batteries...so it's quite random and doesn't include the good roads...

Comment

Comment

We only made it to Norwalk this year. Below is post I copied from another forum I frequent.
                          ---------

An update from the Hot Rod Power Tour! One of the best days I've had in a long time!!

Woke up at 5am. Stopped at Bob Evan's in Toledo, OH for Breakfast

Rolled down US20 to Norwalk

Pulled in to Summit Motorsports Park in Norwalk around 11am.

Lined up for fun runs on the drag strip at 1pm

Started raining at 1:15pm

$1 Ice cream for lunch at 1:30pm

Finally lined up (against my grandfather) at about 2:30pm

The old man whooped me!

Watched drag racing for a few more hours in the sun with my Grandpa

On the way back, about 50 miles from home my shifter came apart. Luckily the car stayed in gear, so I was able to limp it in to a parking lot but I couldn't shift at all. A quick call to Hagerty got me home with a free flatbed ride! (no pictures of that...) Upon closer inspection when I tore in to it last night, the mounting plate came apart from the transmission. Amazingly, the bolt was still in the hole, it just didn't have any threads engaged. I'm pretty glad it was a cheap, quick fix. I think my wife would draft divorce papers if I spent another dime on this car this month.

On that note, after a 3 hour drive sitting on those '69 Camaro buckets, I decided it was time to upgrade, soI bought these from a member here yesterday. SHH my wife will never notice... Oops!

Comment

Cool Stuff Mike! Love the family connection!

I've got my whole week here:

Originally posted by 74NovaMan View Post
                            Chris - HRPT Long Haul 03, 04, 05, 13, 14, 15,16 & 18
                            74 Nova Project
                            66 Mustang GT Project

92 Camaro RS Convertible Project
                            79 Chevy Truck Project
                            1956 Cadillac Project

Comment

Here are some Buicks from the tour.
                              Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Working...
                              X