Need ideas/ suggestions for Side trips, must sees, and places to eat

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Need ideas/ suggestions for Side trips, must sees, and places to eat

Hey guys. We are planning our third Power Tour and looking for ideas of stuff to see, do or eat along the way. We like to get to the venues and do our check in, and then go out and explore the area. Love some good BBQ or what ever the local flavor is. Thanks in advance! -Brian

Knoxville Area: Pigeon Forge/Gatlinburg have great places to eat and shop and the Great Smoky Mountains National Park is close by.

Asheville NC: Biltmore House and Gardens

Traveling east bound on I-40 in Tennessee enroute to Concord, allow yourself a half of a day to drive the Cherohala Skyway and Highway 129 (Tail of the Dragon).

Get off of I-40 at Asheville onto the Blue Ridge Parkway and drive it to Cherokee, NC, then drive 441 through the National Park through Gatlingburg on the way to Knoxville. Hope this helps, Jack

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

Litton's in Knoxville is super! http://www.littonsburgers.com
      HRPT 2013 LONG HAULER

Comment

a little closer then the tail of the dragon will be the devils triangle near knoxville. similar to the dragon. on my game plan as a side trip
        Last edited by 59brook; November 2, 2013, 11:41 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by 59brook View Post
          a little closer then the tail of the dragon will be the devils triangle near knoxville. similar to the dragon. on my game plan as a side trip
          59brook, I've heard of the Devil's Triangle, but don't know where it is. What is the highway number? Thanks, Jack

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

Comment

Calhoun's in Knoxville, several locations. Great ribs and steaks.

Comment

44 mile loop north of oak ridge tn . looks like 116 - 62 - 330 - 116

Comment

I've been on the Devil's Triangle. It's a fun route, but it's a rough road. Allow yourself a good 3-4 hours to get there and back from the venue.

From Asheville into Knoxville, taking a route through Hot Springs, NC into Newport, TN is a nice drive. HR may route the tour this way.
                "Life is tough. Life is tougher if you're stupid" - John Wayne

Comment

We are looking at going a couple of days early like we did for the Detroit events in 2012. Hoping to hit Floyd Garretts Muscle Car Museum in Sevierville, Tennessee & drive the Tail of the Dragon on the way in.

I am also hoping to be able to stop by Fat Man Fabrication in Charlotte. I am considering some of their items for my '57 Belair. Haven't thought much beyond that yet.
                  ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Originally posted by 59brook View Post
                    44 mile loop north of oak ridge tn . looks like 116 - 62 - 330 - 116
                    I see it. Thanks.

Comment

Mike - you might like this too-

Wheels Through Time Museum is home to the world’s premier collection of rare American motorcycles, memorabilia, and a distinct array of unique “one-off” American automobiles. Located just 5 miles off the Blue Ridge Parkway in Maggie Valley, North Carolina our museum houses a collection of over 300 rare machines.
                      Phil / Omaha

Comment

Lots to do for a couple of days in Mooresville. Plenty of auto & racing related stuff to do and see. Here are a few links to some local places.

There will be a starting line party and some type of run to some open houses at race & hot rod shops. We are in the early planning stages.

Hotel deal over in that thread.

You might have to copy and paste the links.

WELCOME TO THE Mooresville-South Iredell Chamber of Commerce Member Directory About the Chamber Signature Events Business Resources Nestled in the beautiful Piedmont approximately 30 miles north of Charlotte, Mooresville, North Carolina offers a desirable quality of life and has been described as the optimum environment for living, working and playing. Iredell County is one of…

www.lancastersbbq.com‎/

holohanshotrods.com/

www.detroitspeed.com‎/

www.memorylaneautomuseum.com‎/

www.grillessportscafelkn.com‎/

www.dcclassiccars.com‎/

[url]www.nascarhall.com[//url]

www.gopromotorplex.com/‎

www.meetatthepit.com/
                        Last edited by htrdharley; November 4, 2013, 08:57 AM.

Comment

Hey Lar I just want to come to your home, man! You BBQ is great
                          Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                          The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
                            Hey Lar I just want to come to your home, man! You BBQ is great

Thanks Dave, there will be more in June.

Comment

Party

I'm planning on making this one as well. I hate I missed the last one but this one is on the books for sure.
                              Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

Working...
                              X