Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hugger; From Tainted to Extraordinary!!!

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• x2
    Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

• XXX(X3)
      Patrick & Tammy
      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• So, I have an update for ya'll:

* Hugger has now been delivered to Justin, my painter, and IMO- one of the best in the Tennessee Valley!! I expect this paint job to be even better than Jades. And one thing is for sure, I won't have to worry about any da sanding marks coming up through the paint and clear. And speaking of clear, I won't have to worry about any of it flaking off when I wash him.

* Brand new Engine Components from Dart are starting to show up and I've narrowed the EFI down to either the Holley Terminator or the FAST 2.0

* The Cam has also been decided. I am going with Comp Cams XFI Retro-Fit Roller 292, Part Number K12-468-8. The Duration is .242/.248 with a Lift of .584/579 @ .050" and a Lobe Sep of 113

I will be heading out to Justin's shop on Saturday to document more pictures of the car itself, so I'll post them next week.
        Last edited by Bucky67; April 15, 2014, 06:59 AM.
        sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
        - George Orwell

Comment

• Since I'm waiting on the rest of the engine components to come in, this weekend I was bored and decided to tear the old 350 motor down. I was curious about several things:

1- What type of Cam it had in it. When Derek owned it, the car always sounded good and ran pretty decent, but neither one of us knew anything about the internals
          2- What shape the internals were in, since it basically sit outside for over a year while the car was being "restored"
          3- Was anything salvageable, to the point where I could either sale some of it to recoop my loss, or reuse any of it.....

Well, after disassembling the entire engine, this is what I found out:

1- The engine was bored .40 over
          2- The crank and rods are GM, as they are stamped with GM and their part numbers
          3- The fuel pump rod was corroded so bad that it was almost seized in the block. I had to used pliers to get it out
          4- Once I removed the heads, the was corrosion underneath the gaskets on the surface of the block
          5- The cylinder walls were oxidized due to corrosion and the lack of being ran
          6- Several of the push rods were discolored due to high heat. None of them were broke, or bent, but definitely discolorization had set in
          7- There was also rust and corrosion on the rods and push rods.

Now, if the engine is completely sealed up, was running prior to being removed for the "restoratioin", and sitting inside somewhere, how did all the corrosion get in there?!
          sigpic

"People Sleep Peacefully in their beds at Night Because Rough Men Stand Ready to do violence on their Behalf."
          - George Orwell

Comment

• My first question is 'was the oil milky?'..........I think your best clue is item #4.
            Last edited by oletrux4evr; April 15, 2014, 07:17 AM.
            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

• Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
              My first question is 'was the oil milky?'..........I think your best clue is item #4.

Nope, the oil actually looked really good. I was actually impressed and shocked at how the oil looked. All though, there was quite a bit of sluge built up in the bottom of the oil pan. Obviously I won't reuse any of the gaskets, but I was also impressed with the head gaskets and the shape they were in. Now, the oil pan gasket, that's a different story...... Ha Ha!!
              sigpic

- George Orwell

Comment

• If anyone on here as any feedback and/or experience, good, bad, and/or indifferent about the New Holley Terminator or the FAST EZ 2.0, I'd LOVE to hear it. Reading up on the FAST, it's had some bad reviews by a lot of people that run Pro-Touring and G-Machines. I haven't found much on the new Terminator System.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.......
                sigpic

- George Orwell

Comment

• Originally posted by Bucky67 View Post
                  Since I'm waiting on the rest of the engine components to come in, this weekend I was bored and decided to tear the old 350 motor down. I was curious about several things:

1- What type of Cam it had in it. When Derek owned it, the car always sounded good and ran pretty decent, but neither one of us knew anything about the internals
                  2- What shape the internals were in, since it basically sit outside for over a year while the car was being "restored"
                  3- Was anything salvageable, to the point where I could either sale some of it to recoop my loss, or reuse any of it.....

Well, after disassembling the entire engine, this is what I found out:

1- The engine was bored .40 over
                  2- The crank and rods are GM, as they are stamped with GM and their part numbers
                  3- The fuel pump rod was corroded so bad that it was almost seized in the block. I had to used pliers to get it out
                  4- Once I removed the heads, the was corrosion underneath the gaskets on the surface of the block
                  5- The cylinder walls were oxidized due to corrosion and the lack of being ran
                  6- Several of the push rods were discolored due to high heat. None of them were broke, or bent, but definitely discolorization had set in
                  7- There was also rust and corrosion on the rods and push rods.

Now, if the engine is completely sealed up, was running prior to being removed for the "restoratioin", and sitting inside somewhere, how did all the corrosion get in there?!
                  I have heard of this a few times Bucky... the answer that I have commonly gotten is if it was stored without a drying medium I.E. desiccant, condensation from atmospheric humidity will cause this type of corrosion due to the temperature variations, especially up north ... that's why fogging oil is popular up here for winter storage of bikes and boats...
                  Patrick & Tammy
                  - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post

I have heard of this a few times Bucky... the answer that I have commonly gotten is if it was stored without a drying medium I.E. desiccant, condensation from atmospheric humidity will cause this type of corrosion due to the temperature variations, especially up north ... that's why fogging oil is popular up here for winter storage of bikes and boats...
                    Patrick, that makes perfect sense. I'm willing to bet that it was stored without any drying medium. Before too long, it'll be back to brand new. Actually, I'm thinking better than brand new!!
                    sigpic

- George Orwell

Comment

• Originally posted by Bucky67 View Post
                      If anyone on here as any feedback and/or experience, good, bad, and/or indifferent about the New Holley Terminator or the FAST EZ 2.0, I'd LOVE to hear it. Reading up on the FAST, it's had some bad reviews by a lot of people that run Pro-Touring and G-Machines. I haven't found much on the new Terminator System.

Any feedback would be greatly appreciated.......
                      Haven't had any experience with FAST, either. The Holley Terminator, as I understand it, is basically the same system that the NASCAR racers are using, which seems to be working well in that application. The system that is in my Chevelle is the older Avenger system, which is a rehash of their old throttle body replacement stuff. Had significant problems with it, which were corrected in the Rescue Hot Rod did on the car, and it seems to be working well, for now. Power Tour will tell if it is going to remain consistent and trouble free. Just glad I won it, instead of buying!
                      Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
                      Gregg and Deb Miller
                      Verona, Wi.

Comment

• Originally posted by convss View Post
                        Haven't had any experience with FAST, either. The Holley Terminator, as I understand it, is basically the same system that the NASCAR racers are using, which seems to be working well in that application. The system that is in my Chevelle is the older Avenger system, which is a rehash of their old throttle body replacement stuff. Had significant problems with it, which were corrected in the Rescue Hot Rod did on the car, and it seems to be working well, for now. Power Tour will tell if it is going to remain consistent and trouble free. Just glad I won it, instead of buying!
                        Thanks for the heads up Gregg! I'm, more than likely, going to go with the Holley Terminator System. Of course every system worries me because I'm not use to dealing with EFI. And, there are people that have experience problems with every system out there. At the end of the day, I really like Holley's Customer Service and the Tech that they provide. Not only that, but they are the closest to me. FAST seems to having a lot of quality issues, from what I've read. That scares me.... Edelbrock's is so new, that I don't know much about it, but I do love how the hand held tuner is completely wireless. That's pretty damn cool. But connection loss, or the in the instance where it won't connect via Bluetooth, worries me.

Taking the engine, internals, and all my brand new Dart Components to Valley Engine & Performance. Time to build a Stroker....
                        sigpic

- George Orwell

Comment

• Good luck with the engine and on which ever EFI you choose.
                          Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

• Originally posted by pintoboy77 View Post
                            Good luck with the engine and on which ever EFI you choose.
                            Greg, thanks man. Looks like I'm going with Forged 6" Rods and Forged 10.6:1 Pistons. The rotating assembly will be balanced and the crank will be polished. It'll take about 6 weeks to get the engine back..... So, I have plenty of time to research EFI Systems. All though, I'm still leaning towards the Holley Terminator.

sigpic

- George Orwell

Comment

• So, I just got the call that my entire rotating assembly is ready to be picked up. It's complete with 6" Forged Rods, Forged Pistons, Balanced and Polished Crank that has been turned .10, and ARP Bolts throughout the lower end. With the Dart Alum Heads, 64CC Chambered, I'll be right at 10.5:1 Compression when it's all said it done. So, a very streetable engine that's built just as good as Jades Engine.

I'll be gone this entire weekend for wedding details, but I'll pick it up on Monday and get some pictures. I've been hard at work on the 2002 SLP SS.....
                              sigpic

- George Orwell

Comment

• I'll be lurking by to see how you come out with the EFI. After HRPT I'll be starting my engine build for the Vette, streetable 383 with EFI. Like you I'll be researching but real world experience is good information
                                Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                                If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Working...
                                X