Power Tour "Road Trip Kit" Includes ...

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by smalblock View Post
    Wayne, don't forget that Phil drinks CHEAP beer !!!!!!!!!
    Makes Red, White & Blue a premium beer !

Comment

• I got my new to me wheel & tire. It's got less than 100 miles on it. It is only a 18" wheel but it beats the old 15" rally wheel I had. It cleaned up nicely too! After the tour I plan to have all 5 wheels redone in the grey to match the paint. Didn't have time to do it this year.

Click image for larger version

Name:	spare tire.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	42.8 KB
ID:	1107273

Name:	13315562_10202008275446516_1077504440683230326_n.jpg
Views:	76
Size:	89.2 KB
ID:	1107274
      Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

• Miller High Life - - or when I feel Patriotic I go to the Red, White, and Blue - Pabst Blue Ribbon !!

Phil / Omaha

Comment

• well that tells it all

Comment

• Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post
            Miller High Life - - or when I feel Patriotic I go to the Red, White, and Blue - Pabst Blue Ribbon !!

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

Miller High Life - - or when I feel Patriotic I go to the Red, White, and Blue - Pabst Blue Ribbon !!
              I might know where a cooler of those can be found.
              I have ADD with a lazy feature.....according to my wife!

Comment

• Looking at the weather forecast I'm going to need an umbrella and poncho too...
                1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
                1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
                1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

• Assuming I can get my Camaro finished in time, I'll be going 5,000 miles for Power Tour this year. Since the car only has ~50 miles on it and reliability is questionable, a decent tool kit is crucial. I thought maybe we could get a thread rolling about what people think are essential items or maybe nice-to-haves for the portable tool kit or tool bag. The Power Tour "Road Trip Kit thread says "basic hand tools". I thought maybe we could expand on that a bit. Here's mine:

Name:	IMG_3273.JPG
Views:	83
Size:	152.8 KB
ID:	1159903
                  • 1/2" breaker bar
                  • Fence pipe for additional leverage or general bashing
                  • 3/8" drive swivel head ratchet and various length extensions, wobble joints
                  • 1/4", 3/8", and 1/2" sockets
                  • 3/8" deep well sockets (not pictured)
                  • Timing light (just found out this doesn't work with my new MSD box, so I won't be taking it after all)
                  • 1/2" ratchet, 1/4" ratchet, and extensions
                  • SAE ratcheting combo wrenches with tilt ends
                  • Various standard and Philips screwdrivers, extra bits, S-shaped screwdriver, awl
                  • Neodymium magnet (the long screwdriver with the blue tip)
                  • Plastic spudger tool
                  • Latex gloves and hand cleaner
                  • Adjustable pliers
                  • Crescent wrench
                  • Velcro ties
                  • Mirror with extension
                  • Screwdriver bit ratchet (this is one of my best purchases ever)
                  • 8' Tape measure
                  • Spark plug gap gauge and feeler gauge
                  • Allen wrenches (SAE and metric)
                  • Pliers, needle nose pliers, wire cutters
                  • Box cutter
                  • Razor gasket scraper
                  • AAA LED head lamp, AAA flashlight
                  • Multimeter
                  • Wire stripper
                  • Infrared thermometer
                  • Butane soldering iron / torch
                  • Lengths of black and red 12ga copper wire
                  • Solder, flux, shrink tubing, various electrical connectors
                  • Electrical tape, Teflon tape, duct tape
                  • Bic lighter
                  • Memo pad, pen, and pencil
                  • 50' Paracord
                  • Brass bristled brush, toothbrush
                  • Tire pressure gauge
                  • Dental pick (this is a must have for carb work)
                  • Antifreeze tester
                  • Spark tester
                  • Zip ties of various sizes
                  • Epoxy, two types of RTV, anti-seize, JB Weld, superglue, dielectric grease, belt dressing, and red and blue locktite
                  • Floor jack and jack stands (not pictured)
                  • Hammer, rubber mallet (not pictured)

Everything but the breaker bar, jack/stands, and timing light fit into a small-ish Craftsman tool bag.

Name:	IMG_3274.JPG
Views:	80
Size:	136.0 KB
ID:	1159904

I feel like I'm bringing everything but the kitchen sink and, simultaneously, not bringing enough. I do wish my bag had more compartments and was a bit easier to organize, but it's pretty small and won't damage the inside of the trunk.

What are you guys packing? What's that one tool nobody else thinks of that you won't leave home without?

Comment

• smalblock
                    smalblock commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Originally posted by CueBall View Post

Sounds like you will be hauling a 15' trailer!

I don't normally care that my trunk is fairly small, but after looking over my packing list...things are gonna be tight.
                    ​I am pulling a small trailer for our luggage. We'll (wife) be in a 68 Camaro convertible, so there is limited space in the trunk and I have a full size 15" spare tire.

• 200kss
                    200kss commented
                    Editing a comment
                    Originally posted by edznova View Post
                    I bought one of those power units that you charge up at home and you can jump a car, charge your fone, fill up tires, and make a cappuccino if you want. it also has a built in work light. I think it was about a hundred bucks.
                    Schumacher SJ1 for me. Although mine makes iced tea instead of coffee.

• 71Z-28
                    71Z-28 commented
                    Editing a comment
                    I also bring a extra set of belts and both radiator hoses. I've had them in my trunk for 9 tours, probably dry rotted. I better check. Also bring a large bottle of brake fluid that I've never used but others have needed it.

• I wasn't sure if we were going to have this discussion this year ... thanks for the contribution CueBall !

Comment

all good suggestions re: tools and equipment.........Pabst?.....haven't heard that since I saw a sign advertising Schlitz.....talk about old school......maybe the Power Tour should have a section reserved for seniors.....hah!......rexx!

Comment

• Hey - you're the retied one - and Pabst is making a comeback big time.

On another note - I photocopy the contents of my wallet - put them in a couple ziploc bags along with a spare key - duct tape it up real good and clip it somewhere on my frame.
                      In case Dave isn't there to prevent a mugging or if I lose my keys.
                      Last edited by 70chevyC-10; May 24, 2017, 08:25 AM.
                      Phil / Omaha

Comment

On another note - I photocopy the contents of my wallet - put them in a couple ziploc bags along with a spare key - duct tape it up real good and clip it somewhere on my frame.
                        In case Dave isn't there to prevent a mugging or if I lose my keys.
                        I do something similar for credit cards. I use a password manager called LastPass. It securely stores my credit card info, along with pictures of both the front and back of each card. That way I can access the info securely from most anywhere, but nobody can just stumble across it. Having a picture of the back of the card is crucial, since the phone number for customer support is almost always listed there.

Comment

• Timeless great info! I used it back in 2014 for my three stops and it's priceless this year for doing the long haul for the first time!

I know some will poke fun, but my plan b car being a 2005 with almost 80k miles on it, I still want to be a little prepared on the road! (Plan A, 64 Newport fought me and fought me and fought me over so much stupid stuff, I finally pushed it in the corner and aborted). Definitely a different level of preparedness than in 2014 when I was in my almost new 2013 Mustang!

A couple of things I've got on my lists that weren't on the original here or mentioned a lot I thought I'd throw out there.

Couple of cans of brake cleaner, can be used for most any parts cleaning and handy in a pinch.

Spare lug nuts and wheel studs. We ran into a situation the other month at our local club meet where I guy sheered three studs off when he pulled into the lot. As it turns out, none of them were seated right and he had several more with damage. He ended up going about an hour out of the way to find enough studs to limp it back home. A spare stud and nut or three could make a roadside repair at least turn into a parking lot repair!

For us sissies with newer cars, a small scan tool. On a new car that can be the difference between having it towed to the parts store or having it towed home and save you expensive garage costs and missed guesses in between!

Counting the days boys and girls! Can't wait to finally put the long haul sticker on my glass!
                          2013- Murphy, NC Road Side Fan Between Chattanooga & Charlotte 2014- Charlotte-Knoxville-Charleston: 2013 Ford Mustang GT

Comment

• Bump
                            R n T 88MCSS LS2 6Spd (2013)
                            Long Hauler 2011,12,14,15,16,17,18, 21, 22
                            Real SH 2019

Comment

• I might have already answered in this thread, but I bring a tool kit, extra distributor (HEI so all the "parts" are in there), extra alternator, jumper cables, and the stock clutch fan and shroud in case my efans crap the bed (almost had to swap it in 2016). Cell phone and friends. If a trip to the parts store can't fix it, it's going home on a trailer.

My car has been extremely road tested on 3 tours now. I think I have most of the bugs worked out.
                              Last edited by Jesse James 80; December 20, 2017, 07:47 AM.
                              1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
                              1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
                              1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

Working...
                              X