Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does your car need b4 the power tour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Well I may have the record in this category ... I have basically 3 months to complete the work to my 67 Camaro to run my first HRPT this year.

I am starting with a good running and driving car;

Gen. 1 355 SBC Dual Plane intake, 750 DP and full MSD ignition
    Change out M21 Muncie for a new T56 Magnum 6 speed
    Change out rear end Posi 12 bolt with 4.56 gears for 3.55 gears ( I will out source this job )
    Note, I will still take out rear end and take to my guy for gear switch
    Swap original gas tank for new Tanks Inc. tank with notched corners, 255 Walbro pump and install new fuel send and return line
    Swap all trim brakes for new 4 wheel disc brakes from Master Power in Mooresville, NC
    Swap Holley 750 DP to Fitech Go 4 600 HP fuel Injection
    Install Vintage Air complete system, I removed the original equipment from car earlier this year
    No rust in the car at all, new quarters installed last year
    Needs seats recovered
    Install new windshield and back glass
    Install Stereo and speakers
    Carpet and Sound Matt to be installed
    Install new Autometer gauges
    Install 6AL Box and Coil under dash to clean up firewall

All the above NEEDS to be done in the next 3 months so I can do the tour. I know the car needs paint but will that will have to wait. I have a good friend that will help some of the weekends but its just me after work at night to complete the list. I know this is a lot but I guess some people need that carrot in front of them to complete the job.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
    Last edited by 67Camaro3pedals; February 26, 2017, 07:52 PM.
    HRPT 2018 Long Hauler !

Comment

• Originally posted by A BAD SS View Post

FRAM FILTERS ARE HORRIBLE...IMO...They clog up pretty bad
      I switched to Wix filters years ago & never looked back. Much better quality than most any of the other brands.
      ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

• Truth is there are only two or three companies that make most of the parts.

Comment

• Originally posted by 67Camaro3pedals View Post
          Well I may have the record in this category ... I have basically 3 months to complete the work to my 67 Camaro to run my first HRPT this year.

I am starting with a good running and driving car;

Gen. 1 355 SBC Dual Plane intake, 750 DP and full MSD ignition
          Change out M21 Muncie for a new T56 Magnum 6 speed
          Change out rear end Posi 12 bolt with 4.56 gears for 3.55 gears ( I will out source this job )
          Note, I will still take out rear end and take to my guy for gear switch
          Swap original gas tank for new Tanks Inc. tank with notched corners, 255 Walbro pump and install new fuel send and return line
          Swap all trim brakes for new 4 wheel disc brakes from Master Power in Mooresville, NC
          Swap Holley 750 DP to Fitech Go 4 600 HP fuel Injection
          Install Vintage Air complete system, I removed the original equipment from car earlier this year
          No rust in the car at all, new quarters installed last year
          Needs seats recovered
          Install new windshield and back glass
          Install Stereo and speakers
          Carpet and Sound Matt to be installed
          Install new Autometer gauges
          Install 6AL Box and Coil under dash to clean up firewall

All the above NEEDS to be done in the next 3 months so I can do the tour. I know the car needs paint but will that will have to wait. I have a good friend that will help some of the weekends but its just me after work at night to complete the list. I know this is a lot but I guess some people need that carrot in front of them to complete the job.

Any advice would be much appreciated.
          Honestly the 3.55's might be a bit tall for the six-speed. I had the TKO 5-speed in my Malibu & my biggest bitch was having to go to 4th once I got below about 65mph. And that was with 3.42's & stock size 14" tires/wheels. The 6-gear has both 5th & 6th for overdrive so I have to think that you would want to run 3.73's or maybe even higher or you may never use 6th in normal (legal) highway driving.

Comment

• 67C3P
            I just switched my rear gear from a 3.25 to a 3.70 gear for better legal" highway travel. Can't wait to see how it performs. Tremec calculator says l should cruise 80 right at 2155 rpm's.
            69 SS

Comment

• I have 3.73s and no overdrive. Car doesn't want to go over 60 on the highway. That it hasn't seen in 3-5 years. Speedometer would say 90.

Comment

• Thanks guys for the input, I'm getting the standard Magnum 2.66 that has a .80 for 5th. gear and a .63 for 6th. gear, combine that with a 3.55 rear and at 2K rpm you are doing 70 MPH. I was just trying to be easy on my SBC 355 for the 1000 mile trip just to get to Kansas in one full day of driving. Maybe you thought I was getting the 2.97 first gear trans, it has a .74 and a .5 overdrive gears that wouldn't work at all with a 3.55 gear. Please let me know if I'm missing something. My small block runs good and 2K is at the very bottom of my rpm range too, don't want to lug it but on the highway I think most everyone will be running 75 to 85 MPH so my rpm's will be 2300 to 2400.
                Last edited by 67Camaro3pedals; February 28, 2017, 07:55 PM.
                HRPT 2018 Long Hauler !

Comment

• By the way, is anyone running FiTech ? I will be installing mine in a week or so and didn't know if anyone uses the corvette filter / regulator inline between the in tank Walbro 255 pump and the Fitech ? It is regulated at 58 psi and that is just what Fitech wants and needs. By doing this, you don't have to run a return line the entire length of the car, just from the point or the regulator. I picked up the a LS Fuel line kit from Tanks Inc. and it included 25 feet of fuel line, all the fittings and this corvette filter / regulator with return line back to tank,

Any thoughts ?
                  HRPT 2018 Long Hauler !

Comment

• Originally posted by 67Camaro3pedals View Post
                    Thanks guys for the input, I'm getting the standard Magnum 2.66 that has a .80 for 5th. gear and a .63 for 6th. gear, combine that with a 3.55 rear and at 2K rpm you are doing 70 MPH. I was just trying to be easy on my SBC 355 for the 1000 mile trip just to get to Kansas in one full day of driving. Maybe you thought I was getting the 2.97 first gear trans, it has a .74 and a .5 overdrive gears that wouldn't work at all with a 3.55 gear. Please let me know if I'm missing something. My small block runs good and 2K is at the very bottom of my rpm range too, don't want to lug it but on the highway I think most everyone will be running 75 to 85 MPH so my rpm's will be 2300 to 2400.
                    My TKO 5-speed was a .64 OD in 5th. And it ran dead on 2000 rpm at 70 mph with the 14" rubber. It will be interesting to see how you come out with the 3.55's. Also if you end up needing to do any tunnel mods with the six-speed. I am considering another TKO for my '67 Camaro but I am now thinking about the Magnum 6-speed too.

Comment

• I installed a Richmond 6 speed in my 69 Camaro a few years back and rarely used 6th gear. Was not good unless 80mph or more. I had 355 gears and was running a 255 60 15 tire. Would def recommend running the numbers before you pick your rear gear selection. Just my 02.

Comment

• Originally posted by 502ChevelleSS View Post
                        ... rarely used 6th gear. Was not good unless 80mph or more...
                        I am thinking Commander Cody might have some advice here

Can't be all bad to have "another gear" just in case the need arises!

Comment

• 67 Malibu
                          The Magnum 6 speed I'm getting has a .64 for 6th. gear and out rpm's matched at 2000 at 70 mph. with 3.55 gears. ( See the picts I posted ) That's about perfect as you have the entire rest of the power curve of your cam to pull up as fast as you need to as 2K would be the very bottom and it pulls hard into 6800 rpm.

I watched a video from American Powertrain and they said the new T56 Magnum (700 Ft. lbs. of torque) would replace your existing 4 speed without ANY modifications to your trans tunnel. That was not the case with the T-56 of the old TK 600 transmissions. I cut and pasted the link to the video below.

502 Chenille SS ( Nice ride, love the 502 BB )
                          I'm not sure what ratio 6 gear is in the Richmond you spoke of but it appears to a little taller than a .64 to pull 80 mph. at highway speed. You didn't reference a specific rpm you were running at 80 mph.

I'm glad to get the feedback though as I only want to pay for a rear gear change one time.

We install our T56 Magnum 6-speed transmission kit on the Ridetech 48HourCamaro.
                          HRPT 2018 Long Hauler !

Comment

• Just decided that we will be making the trip to KC for the opportunity to be with our good friends... The bullet needs: new valve stems, struts with all the associated parts, springs, BMR control arms, exhaust resonator and mufflers, transmission filter, fluid change and cooler (she got hot trying to keep up with Alan (cstmwgn) in the West Virginia mountains) with a remote filter, shift kit, maybe a bigger rear sway bar, additional gauges, wiper blades, and, new speakers... We'll have to get busy...
                            Last edited by silver_bullet; March 4, 2017, 03:24 PM.
                            Patrick & Tammy
                            - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

• looks like everyone has to chase alan

Comment

• Originally posted by w7s View Post
                                looks like everyone has to chase alan
                                Yes, this is a rare sight:

Last edited by oletrux4evr; March 4, 2017, 08:12 AM.
                                Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                                HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Working...
                                X