Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What does your car need b4 the power tour?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What are your plans for a major break down? We will be in some fairly rual areas in MS. If it can' t be fixed on the road, I guess it will be a wrecker, storage, rental to get home and bring back the truck and trailer for recovery. What's your break down plan.
    I have ADD with a lazy feature.....according to my wife!

Comment

• Shhhhhhhhhhhhhhh, we're not supposed to talk about that!!!

Shoot it and walk away? That's the decent thing to do.
      1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
      1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
      1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

• Major breakdown plan would be to tow it to the venue and hope I can find parts to fix it. The GM guys have a full setup to fix most anything. Besides I have a trunk full of tools and parts.
        1964 Chevelle
        Power Tour 2004-2008, 2013, 2015-2016, 2018
        LH 2005-2008, 2015-2016, 2018

Comment

• Originally posted by mike327 View Post
          What are your plans for a major break down? We will be in some fairly rual areas in MS. If it can' t be fixed on the road, I guess it will be a wrecker, storage, rental to get home and bring back the truck and trailer for recovery. What's your break down plan.
          In the past we have gotten lucky and would run into someone from the on the Power Tour locally that could offer help in the ways mentioned ......storage, tools, and sometimes tow vehicle assistance......but also the Pilot hauler company usually has truck on the tour that be called to pick up cars that have broken down and them to next venue and arrangement can be made for them to haul them home for you.......after the Power Tour in Wisconsin Dells I mean right the awards they loading up cars on about 5 haulers where we parked in the grass................
          That steely eyed look I had behind the wheel was me trying see..........

Comment

• Well figured if one wheel cylinder crapped out, the other three probably close behind. So got all new ones. Need to put in rear seat belts, swap the alternator to the other side of the engine, fancy valve covers and get an alignment. I think that's it. Lol.

Comment

• Originally posted by Vista461 View Post
              Well figured if one wheel cylinder crapped out, the other three probably close behind. So got all new ones. Need to put in rear seat belts, swap the alternator to the other side of the engine, fancy valve covers and get an alignment. I think that's it. Lol.
              I just found one of mine leaking last night, but I only have two to worry about.

Comment

• Same here found one leaking on passenger side.......so went over fellow Bangshifter's abode Blackie66....where moved his 73 Camaro out to the house garage after kicking his wife's car out that garage(she was playing bingo) to allow me to attempt a total brake overhaul but to call another bud over to help complete the job......now the brakes will throw you through the windshield.....now to tackle that passenger window motor......

Comment

• Completed work on fixing passenger window turned out to be a seized nylon roller....greased nad packed same also decided to replace window motor since were in there.......right now gettimg tires balanced......
                  Last edited by 383S-10; May 23, 2015, 08:43 AM.

Comment

• Go to put on my new wheel cylinders and find out the don't include the little push rods and mine are pitted. What a shock that a 50 year old part is rusty and has pits. They really should come with the wheel cylinders. Ordered them yesterday and should be in today. Grrr!
                    On the plus side they're cheap. So I have that going for me, which is nice.
                    Last edited by Vista461; May 26, 2015, 04:33 AM.

Comment

• So close. (what's with all the bad wheel cylinders???) Rear brakes have been bled. That wheel cylinder must have been leaking for a while... because the brakes work awesome. What's weird is they still worked really well before too, I sometimes had a soft pedal (makes sense now) at first start up, but was good after that. There also was very little fluid loss.

My push rods had a very light pitting in spots, I cleaned the crap out of them with a wire wheel, then sandpaper, and coated them with brake grease.

I tied up a lot of loose ends, rechecked a lot of my work. Did some more interior work. Finished up some stuff under the hood.

Got the wheels back on with the new tires, looks awesome and even though I went down 1 tire size (215/50/17 to 205/50/17 front and 245/45/17 to 235/45/17 rear) it made a big difference in the amount of clearance. Much better.

I did not get to the alignment (bought the tools to do it myself) but I did toss it on there to kind of see where it's at last night. I raised the nose of the car back up an inch by relocating the roller perches (Shelby drop and GT springs lowered it over an inch, maybe 1.5" total) and it camber was 1.5* positive. About what I expected. I should be 0-0.5* negative. I hope to have that done by Thursday night so if I can't get it right I have time to take it to a shop.

I'd like to finish a couple interior items, wash, wax and could it be... I'm ready to go???
                      Last edited by Jesse James 80; May 26, 2015, 07:48 AM.

Comment

• It's amazing how behind I thought I was, but all of a sudden I'm pretty much caught up and on target. Just goes to show if you do a little each day, you can reach your objective...well, except for that new fuel system and fan shroud I desperately need.

Comment

• 2 - 194 lightbulbs.. That hopefully is it, it was an expensive winter
                          Long Hauler 2009, 10, 11, 12, 15 3 of 7 in 2013 5 of 8 in 2014 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Comment

• Well down the stretch got detail completed, rear brakes rebuilt, oil change, ......now new alternator and driveshaft balance

Comment

• Originally posted by 383S-10 View Post
                              Well down the stretch got detail completed, rear brakes rebuilt, oil change, ......now new alternator and driveshaft balance
                              Did you get the window fixed ?
                              Phil / Omaha

Comment

• New wheels and tires - Done.

Front end alignment - Done.

Tune up - Done.

Interior - Close enough but I hope to get it finished up.

She tracked straight down the road without any vibrations up to 90mph, at the, um track... yeah. Because of vibration and alignment issues I haven't really had the car over 65-70 since I installed the T5. Wow, she can fly with OD. Not a lot of power (2.8 rear and stock 289 2 barrel) but you really don't even notice how fast you're going with the RPM's dropped.

Last night was bath night. Hope to get her waxed some night after work, it's been about a year.

Attached Files
                                Last edited by Jesse James 80; June 1, 2015, 06:32 AM.

Comment

Working...
                                X