Power Tour Car Repairs

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Tour Car Repairs

I guess after the castle nut stripped off the lower ball joint at Royal Purple Raceway, and the alternator gave up on the way to Witchita, I guess I needed to check into some things! turns out time really does fly whether you are having fun or not. turns out it was 22 years ago, and 75000 miles since I put this car together. It was overdue for some serious work. The car now has all new steering, front suspension, alternator, and as I just found out yesterday on a test ride, a new water pump. We'll be ready for a troublefree 2017 Power Tour!!
    Hot Rod Power Tour...As much fun as you can have in a car with your clothes on!!
    Gregg and Deb Miller
    Verona, Wi.

75k !! Impressive, I'm hoping to have the Vette on next year's tour, doing about a 800 mile shake down this weekend on the new motor!
    Last edited by corvettedad; October 12, 2016, 07:47 PM.
    Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
    If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

There is nothing more satisfying than knowing what you put together can hold up! Nice job sir.
      Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

Just re-installed the FAST computer, cable to handheld and handheld unit..........test drive to Whittier NC today. If you see a red truck on the side of highway please stop!!!!
        Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
        The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

good luck on test runs perry and big dave

Comment

Dave, you and Perry have my number if you need anything I'll have the RED mobil unit on the road tomorrow!
            Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

The Beast never made it out of the driveway. I will remove all that Fast crap and go back to the carb set up I had before. Perry research it and discovered that big cams that don't make vacuum that these aftermarket EFI's will never work. Would have been nice if FAST/COMP had told me that first.

Comment

You can put a vacuum pump on it.. I had to do that on my SS 396 Chevelle Worked great..
                I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
                  The Beast never made it out of the driveway. I will remove all that Fast crap and go back to the carb set up I had before. Perry research it and discovered that big cams that don't make vacuum that these aftermarket EFI's will never work. Would have been nice if FAST/COMP had told me that first.
                  Does it have a bi-polar mode?
                  Mine (Holley HP) allows you to run the idle in "Alpha-N Idle Fuel" mode so that you don't have the issue with the vacuum being all over the map. The other option might be to run the idle RPM higher than what you may prefer.
                  Last edited by cstmwgn; October 18, 2016, 12:56 PM.

Comment

What about hydro-boost for power brakes?

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by smalblock View Post
                      What about hydro-boost for power brakes?
                      Don't mean to but in BUTT with these new fangled fuel systems (EFI) the idle mixture/timing goes all over the place trying to correct for low vacuum when running an appropriately large cam.

Comment

The Beast has hydro-boost for the power brakes on it already. As far as settings you are limited to those on the handheld no Alpha-N setting is there. The other problem is I keep getting a "Comm Error" on handheld with instruction to check the connection. I have disconnected and reconnected that connection a zillion times, no help. The biggest problem is NO HELP from Comp/Fast.......never their fault always something else at fault. I've had other quality problems with Comp on different parts as a result I'm no longer a customer.

Comment

I will run a carb on the Fairlane mostly due to the reasons Big Dave stated. Lack of support. I suggest to anyone interested in buying one of these systems to go troll around on some of the support forums. If you don't have someone local to help or you have a problem understanding what those forms are talking about. these bolt on, self tune EFI systems are probably not for you.
                          Last edited by mike327; October 19, 2016, 06:49 AM.
                          I have ADD with a lazy feature.....according to my wife!

Comment

Originally posted by mike327 View Post
                            I will run a carb on the Fairlane mostly due to the reasons Big Dave stated. Lack of support. I suggest to anyone interested in buying one of these systems to go troll around on some of the support forums. If you don't have someone local to help or you have a problem understanding what those forms are talking about. these bolt on, self tune EFI systems are probably not for you.
                            with only a slight bit of exaggeration, I could have probably put a sheet metal intake and split dominator on the wagon for what I have invested in the EFI!

I have also had mixed results with support and have struggle mightily learning how to tune the EFI. Yes, they are self-learning - on the base fuel curve ONLY. You have to build the ignition table which takes a significant amount of time to learn exactly how much advance you can roll in when not making power. You also have to build all the add-on fuel tables (cold start, acceleration, %change TPS to MAP, temp (air and water) ....). I am past most of this and things seem to be working very good until the next issue happens. My biggest regret, I can no longer fix my car on the side of the road so now instead of taking a break - it is F O R D!

Comment

The more I read about these aftermarket EFI units, the more satisfied I am with my Edelbrock/Holley's. Is there an increase in gas mileage with the EFI's?

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

Working...
                              X