Hot Rod's coverage of Power Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

That's Christina
    HRPT 12 Miami and Stillwater, OK, 13 Arlington to Memphis, 14/15 Vetoed by Wife, 16 Long Haul, 17/18/19 motor fiasco

Comment

Originally posted by Damon23 View Post

How about this Andy. Pick a spot (just for reference) like Daytona Beach. Stay there for the full week as a base but make day trips to destinations taking back roads, lunch and a stop somewhere to sight see or tour around. Then head back to base for dinner and a parking lot or beach hang out where we can tell stories about how fast our cars were, how big that last fish we caught was or how we can solve the worlds problems. That would be neat to me but it would have to be a base that interested everyone and that everyone could get too.
      That's basically what we do at the Gearhead Inn, in the fall and spring it's our base camp and from there we pick a route or destination and round trip it. Damon you coming to Gearhead this Fall, Jessie, y'all aren't that far.
      Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
      If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by oletrux4evr View Post
        Another angle is one many of us have been discussing for years: make fewer stops during a week-long tour, with 2 days at each stop for side trips, sight-seeing, or just hanging out.

This sounds even better. Have enough time to spend seeing the surroundings.
        Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

one of the main attractions for me is to actually put some mileage on my car. There are lots of opportunities locally to drive 5 minutes to a parking lot near by and socialize.

Comment

driving far to the start or after the end of power tour is nothing new. usually, it's a two day drive in one direction or the other, for us. for the spring/fall trip to the gearhead, it's 9 to 10 hours drive for us, each way, for hanging out for friday night and saturday , but it's worth to me to hang with those people. it's all about the drive.
            Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

I just picked Daytona as a reference seeing that their is a ton of stuff car related all around and just plain touristy stuff to see and do. Like Bruce mentioned, the start is rarely in anyone's backyard. Charlotte was the closest to me and that was 4 hours. The thing is that any trip like this will not have the crowds, the waving people in the small towns gathered up to greet us. That part is what I'd miss but this year was sort of lack luster for that anyway. I guess the word did not get out. Either way it would be interesting to see what gets thrown against the wall and what sticks.
              Visit my sons blog:
              www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post

That's basically what we do at the Gearhead Inn, in the fall and spring it's our base camp and from there we pick a route or destination and round trip it. Damon you coming to Gearhead this Fall, Jessie, y'all aren't that far.
                Don't think I'll make it Perry.
                Visit my sons blog:
                www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

Basically my idea was to do a tour within the Power Tour. We'd still go to the same cities that PT does but we'd make our own list of cool stops in between those cities. Having a local in our group for each leg would really help finding the hidden gems for each days drive. Just a thought.
                  I R Bob
                  You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                  2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

that's a good idea, but there would still be the crowds at the venue.
                    Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                      that's a good idea, but there would still be the crowds at the venue.
                      Yeah, but you get there late, punch in and go on your way. No problem.
                      I R Bob
                      You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
                      2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Originally posted by BluLightning View Post
                        Basically my idea was to do a tour within the Power Tour. We'd still go to the same cities that PT does but we'd make our own list of cool stops in between those cities.
                        I've only done one PT, but I will say that my favorite leg of 2014 was between Knoxville and Charleston because we did exactly what you're suggesting.

My dad and I went way rogue that day and ended up on some amazing back roads, saw some beautiful vistas, and got out of traffic for just an hour or so. We ended up finding the Hatfield Family Cemetery on our route, as well as a few folks who decided to take the same back road we did.

We weren't focused on getting the freebies and magnets at each stop, so showing up late at each stop didn't really affect us.
                        2003 Marauder (HRPT 2014, 2018)
                        1962 C-10 (2019 HRPT - now sold)
                        1991 Country Squire (2023 HRPT?)

Comment

Originally posted by Damon23 View Post
                          I just picked Daytona as a reference seeing that their is a ton of stuff car related all around and just plain touristy stuff to see and do. Like Bruce mentioned, the start is rarely in anyone's backyard. Charlotte was the closest to me and that was 4 hours. The thing is that any trip like this will not have the crowds, the waving people in the small towns gathered up to greet us. That part is what I'd miss but this year was sort of lack luster for that anyway. I guess the word did not get out. Either way it would be interesting to see what gets thrown against the wall and what sticks.
                          I doubt it. Jena and I just spent almost 5K on a dream vacation to cruise the PCH from a few miles from Mexico to Seattle, WA in a drop top. I'm also in the vacation hole by a day for next year already. We also had our home damaged from a hail storm, and insurance was paying to replace 10 our of 18 windows, so we're paying the difference to replace all of them, and new siding... going to be tight for us for a while. *IF* I could squeeze it in, I may just come up for the saturday "drive" day in old blue.

Originally posted by Gwood74 View Post
                          That's Christina
                          Yes, that's it. Ran into her again this year too, I'm just terrible with names.
                          Last edited by Jesse James 80; September 22, 2016, 10:30 AM.
                          1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
                          1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
                          1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

Working...
                          X