Hot Rod's coverage of Power Tour

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hot Rod's coverage of Power Tour

Was everyone as underwhelmed with Hot Rod's coverage of PT? Seriously 5 pages for the biggest event of the year that Hot Rod does?
    I R Bob
    You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
    2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

I'm more underwhelmed at their lack of coverage for 2017...........
    Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
    HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

what coverage for 2017?.....haha

Comment

Yes, it was a letdown for sure.
        Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

I let my long time subscription (10 years or more maybe) lapse and thought I'd buy the PT issue at the store - not now.
          Last edited by 70chevyC-10; September 6, 2016, 09:38 AM.
          Phil / Omaha

Comment

It almost seems like they want to downplay the PT to get less people to go do it. That's ok with me. It's too big now. I'm starting to think we have to get together and have our own power tour within the power tour.
            I R Bob
            You can't drink all day unless you start in the morning!
            2007 LH, 2008 LH, 2009 LH, 2010 LH, 2011 LH, 2012 DNF/BLOW'D UP, 2013 LH, 2014 LH

Comment

Poor coverage. But they sure did cover the new Camaro

Nick

Comment

Let me be the Click image for larger version

Name:	devil.jpg
Views:	24
Size:	5.1 KB
ID:	1122272
                , WHY have tons of coverage, when the tour, is plastered all over facebook/twitter/forums/youtube/and photo hosting sites.. and anyone that wants to get coverage of it, does through those medias.. Why fill a mag with the same stuff.. it's not like they'll come up with much that isn't already out there..
                Maybe they are letting the people that are part of the tour, go to see the tour pass by, put the coverage out there..
                I think they have learned over the decade or so, that putting stuff in print that was seen 3 months earlier, doesn't sell mags..

Ya, buddy. post # 454
                Last edited by JamesMayberryIII; September 6, 2016, 11:33 AM.

Comment

Pretty lame! But I'll keep getting the subscription for John, he loves it! Goes to bed with it every night! I never get to even look at it.
                  Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                  If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Seems to be going away... no longer their primary event as far as magazine coverage goes... it has become self sustaining now... the other events have limited registration, so they do not have the capability to do so...therefor more coverage for those events... that sells magazines... the power tour issue sells itself for those wanting to se if their or a friends ride made it through editing...
                    Last edited by silver_bullet; September 6, 2016, 03:20 PM.
                    Patrick & Tammy
                    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

I'm an old guy. Not big on Facebook, et all. I prefer to read a magazine. It's less expensive if i drop it in the toilet when i'm reading it.
                      Last year they had huge coverage of it. It's their event.
                      As stated above, after 11 years of going to PT, it's time to try going to something else. Probably going to the LA roadster show next year.
                      Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                        Seems to be going away... no longer their primary event as far as magazine coverage goes... it has become self sustaining now... the other events have limited registration, so they do not have the capability to do so...therefor more coverage for those events... that sells magazines... the power tour issue sells itself for those wanting to se if their or a friends ride made it through editing...

I agree with this. They've turned it over to a event planning company to run and they are just along for the name and the ride. As much as we like hanging out/cruising with the group we too are leaning towards taking a year off. We've looked at rallies and other cruises as well to see what is out there. I believe the powertour has spawned most of these events. One we are looking at is a event where you have to actually check in at stops, complete a task and then head to the stop. Nice thing is if you place one day then you are not qualified to place again during the trip to let others have a chance and to take the pressure off so you can enjoy the trip. It is rally north america. We are not 100% out and a lot has to do with the route. A socal trip is the other alternative.
                        Visit my sons blog:
                        www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

Originally posted by JamesMayberryIII View Post
                          Let me be the [ATTACH]n1122272[/ATTACH]
                          , WHY have tons of coverage, when the tour, is plastered all over facebook/twitter/forums/youtube/and photo hosting sites.. and anyone that wants to get coverage of it, does through those medias.. Why fill a mag with the same stuff.. it's not like they'll come up with much that isn't already out there..
                          Maybe they are letting the people that are part of the tour, go to see the tour pass by, put the coverage out there..
                          I think they have learned over the decade or so, that putting stuff in print that was seen 3 months earlier, doesn't sell mags..

Ya, buddy. post # 454
                          I don't know... there's just something about seeing your ride in print.

During last years tour (2015) a writer from Mustangs Monthly was riding around with GNGal (can't remember her real name) in a brand new Mustang Convertible covering Mustangs on the tour. They stopped us at a gas station to do a quick interview. Of course, it went up in the website pretty quick, but a couple months later it was in the magazine. Half a page. Pretty cool.

I'm 98% sure I'm taking 2017 off. It kills half my vacation for the year and I think it's time to sit my ass on a beach in Florida for a week (thinking about renting a condo/house with a garage and taking the Mustang down). My wife and I are flying out to Cali tomorrow to drive the PCH from San Diego to Seattle over 9 days. I'll already be a day in the vacation hole for next year after next week. My parents are also complaining I haven't been to NY in a few years... I start accruing more vacation days in 2018!
                          Last edited by Jesse James 80; September 8, 2016, 07:04 AM.
                          1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
                          1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
                          1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

If you see a town called Federal Way between Seattle and Tacoma, that's where I'm from.
                            Visit my sons blog:
                            www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

I agree with the both of you! Our vacation plans are in flux right now with Tammy's dad being in the nursing home, and me on a new job with limited vacation. We'll see what next year brings!
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                              X