GM V8 Distributor Cap and Rotor preference

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• GM V8 Distributor Cap and Rotor preference

I asked this in the tech section and didn't get a lot of responses so I can only assume this is a stupid question to the educated GM faithful.

So is there a preferred cap and rotor for GM stuff or do you just use whatever you can buy at KMART?

This is a serious question for me. I am running a FAST distributor which is basically a Pertronix unit and they want ~$50 for a cap and rotor set. I seem to remember that boob had issues with his MSD eating the buttons out of the caps. On my Ford junk I tended to use Accell stuff.

What I need is a GM style cap with the "L" shape spring load hold down bars (2 of them) with the male HEI style plug wire terminals WITHOUT a coil in the cap that tolerates the high voltage of an MSD ignition box and coil.

Sean and I use the better quality ones with brass contacts.
    Patrick & Tammy
    - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

You may want to message Big Dave. We had a problem with Brent's (Tunaboat) cap on powertour. We searched all over for one but he got one from the msd guys the next day. I can't remember but it was a particular cap you have to get for the system you have. Sorry I can't be more help.
      Visit my sons blog:
      www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

I believe it is the msd 8433 but your still talking $36 for a cap which is cheaper, not sure what problem Dave had or his set up. I mean Brent.
        Last edited by corvettedad; July 31, 2016, 05:12 PM.
        Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
        If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Hey Allen, I have always had good luck with the BWD stuff or AC Delco. The high end ignition stuff at most of the parts stores. They all have their low end store brands like MasterPro at O'Reilly's. I avoid those parts.
          ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

I also use BWD ignition parts from Oreilly's and have had good luck with them. (Allen) D.W. Hopkins won the NSS event at Joliet yesterday. I think he may be in the points lead now.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

Originally posted by smalblock View Post
              D.W. Hopkins won the NSS event at Joliet yesterday. I think he may be in the points lead now.
              Excellent news - send my congratulations to him for the win and points lead.

Comment

Originally posted by silver_bullet View Post
                Sean and I use the better quality ones with brass contacts.
                Any ideal what brand? I also like the brass terminal stuff.

Comment

Thanks for the BWD recommendations. The next time I am at the parts store I will check them out.

Comment

D.U.I. (Davis Unified Ignition) makes some great quality stuff. I recommend that or MSD. None of those will save you any money...

Comment

i have good luck with msd

Comment

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
                        D.U.I. (Davis Unified Ignition) makes some great quality stuff.
                        Dan made that same recommendation but when I went to their site I could only find "coil in cap" style distributor caps. What I need is a conventional distributor cap with male plug wire connectors.

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
                        None of those will save you any money...
                        I don't mind spending the money for good stuff.

Comment

Originally posted by w7s View Post
                          i have good luck with msd
                          Thanks Wayne

Comment

I don't think you'll find over the counter in the configuration you need like BWD although they're good quality, could be wrong but I think MSD are another aftermarket are your best shot.
                            I'll be running a similar setup in the Vette if I can find it with a tach drive so I can use the factory chrome shielding
                            Last edited by corvettedad; August 1, 2016, 06:00 PM.
                            Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                            If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Any ideal what brand? I also like the brass terminal stuff.
                              BWD select at Oreiley's
                              Patrick & Tammy
                              - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

Working...
                              X