Power Tour Debrief

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Tour Debrief

I thought I'd take a few moments and recap my experience as a Power Tour Virgin for those that are new to the board and are looking for info.

1. I was struck by the level of automotive camaraderie. Everyone was very laid back, and I made some great friends.
    2. With a little work, a 46 year old car can be a lot of fun on a nearly 3,000 road trip.
    3. It's about the people you're with, and the journey...not the venues.

Mechanical Recap....

30 miles south of Omaha the car ate the A/C belt....my copilot and I ventured on. The car would eat two more before the 4th actually held. I also discovered CRC belt conditioner, which really works.

Day 3 out of Little Rock the car developed a misfire that I spent 3 days chasing before fixing it with a new set of plug wires in the shade of a cattle pen in Gonzales. Chris and Sandra, Todd and Jeff all stuck with me on the way into Gonzales...Including my hastily chosen gas stop in Louisiana in my search for 93 octane that started to resemble a mob scene. Made me reconsider perhaps bringing by concealed carry with me next year.

Coming out of the venue in Austin, the 46 year old convertible top switch decided to die...taps was played and the top remained up for the remainder of the trip....

Lack of cruise control wasn't such a big thing....and I was SOOO glad I'd had the driveline balanced before I left...there was a lot of 75 mph+ driving on this route.

Next year I'm going to have some serious brakes on this car. I'll also mod the viscous fan clutch to come in a little lower...idling into Dallas and OKC she started creeping up to about 210....the rest of the time was 160.

Otherwise I rediscovered the joy of a muscle car with the top down cruising down the road.

Admin

In my opinion the Gold VIP was worth it. Better parking and in some venues a shorter line to park. While I love my fellow enthusiasts...I hate traffic. Which brings me to my next point...

The "route" really isn't the best option...unless you like traffic and waiting 20 deep in a line for a bathroom....or driving at 15 under the legal limit because the guy at the head of the line of 30 cars isn't bright enough or is too stubborn to pull over and let everyone else pass.

It's much better to get a few cars together and do your own route...you see more and you're not just sitting in traffic. I only drove the "route" one day...from Dallas to OKC and I regretted it.

Oklahoma, strangely enough, is home to some of the crappiest gas I've ever ran. Many locations only carried 87 octane. The 91 I could find was of questionable quality. I did find some 93 at a Sunoco, but one would think that in the state where the strategic oil reserves are held, there might be just a bit more petroleum selection. Next year I'll have a case of Torco in the trunk.

Lodging was a mixed bag...the venues are all the same essentially, so after the first stop next year I'll be getting lodging near the downtown area or near the attractions of the city. Personal preference there I think.

Overall

This was a bucket list item for me. I completed the Long Haul and had a great time doing it while making some of the best memories of my life. I can now see why some of you have done 5, 6, 7+ of these.

The incredible variety of cars you'll see on this truly impressive. From a Rat Rod with a 6 BT Cummins in it to a AMC Rebel Machine...just truly great. It's like a mobile car show...like an air show but for cars. Seeing the "greats" in action is the best part of it.

I can see how having a wagon or something that would haul 4-5 of your best friends with you too would make for an epic event too.

I'll be back next year, schedule willing before I'll have to take a break from it for a few years when I move back to WA.

Here's a picture I took of the GTO in front of the Hotel Van Zandt in Austin. No idea why it's posting sideways.
    Power Tour '16 Long Hauler, '17 Short Haul, West Coast for a few years now...
    1970 Pontiac GTO 455HO Convertible
    2005 Cadillac CTS-V, Maggie'd

Congrats on making it Cricket. BTW, you forgot Maddy. Todd's daughter & copilot.
    ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Hey Doug, We had a great time cruising with you and Dianna. Hopefully we can do it again. Maybe I'll see you at Good guys in DM next week.
      Todd Des Moines IA HRPT 08 Short Haul 4 STOPS ----HOOKED LH 09,10,11,12,13,14,15,16,17,18 Planning 19

Comment

Doug glad to hear you had a great time and I'm especially glad you drove the coast route in Louisiana where we got to meet. Our group ran the route some days and make our own route on others. We find taking side trips are a good way to see sites that you otherwise wouldn't see. But running the route is for those people in those small towns to see and hear cars and trucks from their youth, like you pointed out it's a rolling car show.
        Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
        The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

Now how could I forget Maddy!! Todd, I saw Jim on my way out, I'm thinking I'll come over at least for Sunday.

I'm leaning hard on a buddy here in Omaha to do it next year, either with his '73 Z-28 or his '68 Dart GT...gotta get someone else hooked on it too.

Comment

Generally I like running the route & seeing all the people out to see the cars go by. Be nice if the small towns would help with the lights though. 160 is a bit on the cold side, according to info posted by Summit, cyl wall wear is 3 times higher @ 160 vs 180-195.
            LH '06, '07, '09, '14, '16, '17, '22 & '23 - SH '05, '08, '10, '11, '15 & '18

Comment

Doug it was pleasure meeting you. I love the GTO man and it's a big block! I hope to see you again on the road. One HRPT and your hooked just like the rest of us Bangshifters!
              Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

Note on the gas, I got some 91 in Hutchinson Kansas and I don't know what was in it but my 2011 SS Camaro did not like it! It was kicking and bucking like an angry mule!!
                Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

It was great seeing old friends, but HOT HOT HOT
                  Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

hot rod does the worst possible job of promoting the power tour possible. outside of the magazine and venues almost no one is told we are coming . from rt 66 museums ,tupelo auto museum, rod & custom hall of fame etc.no one knew thouisands of people would be in there neighborhood. they guard the route like a national secret, while you would think they would reveal it months in advance for us to find where we may want to wander on the way to the venue

Comment

I don't think those in charge care about the route. It seems to me that is the last part of the event they plan. This year was a great example of that having us travel down a dirt road, telling everyone get thru Houston the best you can and no signs to entry point at Kansas Speedway. They are screwing the sponsors apparently as many have left the tour, some have scaled back and now cutting the tour short by a half day (no Saturday Long Haul meeting). Maybe Hot Rod has grown tired of the event, one has to wonder. I would like to hear a discussion among us here about our own tour. If its about the drive then we don't need a venue per say. Could pick a central location and have daily excursions in different directions or say here are the seven cities plan a route and we'll meet up at a cluster of hotels for tailgating. So what say you?
                      Long Haul Gang 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17,19
                      The older I get The Faster I was!

Comment

I was very discouraged with this year's route. I am sure it is hard as many of us have a different agenda for what we want out of PowerTour. I really like the drive - the back road two lane twisty stuff. I don't have much interested in stopping to see local attractions so I can deal with a little longer route. This year it seems we were to the venue between noon and 1:00pm which meant we dashed through it and left to eat lunch. I regret not going on your detour on the first day but I do tend to drive the posted route in respect for the locals who come out to greet us.

Comment

Something that really pissed me off as well was the vendors tearing down at 4:30 pm. If it's supposed to be open until 7:00 pm, then stay open. What about all the locals that want to attend but have jobs during the week? What about the PT'ers that don't get up at 0600 to start? (not that there's anything wrong with that, some people, myself included, take a sleep in, vacation mindset)

Comment

Originally posted by Big Dave View Post
                            I don't think those in charge care about the route. It seems to me that is the last part of the event they plan. This year was a great example of that having us travel down a dirt road, telling everyone get thru Houston the best you can and no signs to entry point at Kansas Speedway. They are screwing the sponsors apparently as many have left the tour, some have scaled back and now cutting the tour short by a half day (no Saturday Long Haul meeting). Maybe Hot Rod has grown tired of the event, one has to wonder. I would like to hear a discussion among us here about our own tour. If its about the drive then we don't need a venue per say. Could pick a central location and have daily excursions in different directions or say here are the seven cities plan a route and we'll meet up at a cluster of hotels for tailgating. So what say you?

I like Big Dave's Idea, When I Long Hauled last year, I had the most fun while hunting down and cruising with other BangShifters. I thought the Venues were Ok, a good place to see all the cars you did not see along the route. As far as the vendors themselves, I really only visited them to collect the magnets and other goodies... so I could easily live more for the Cruising & Tailgating with various groups of BS'ers over spending time standing in lines for magnets... Maybe a BS group tour, similar to a combination of the WST & Spring Blooms Tour, but done at the same time as the HRPT. Maybe include the first, or last stop of the PT, but otherwise do our own thing? I'm still mostly a noobie compared to most of you, so this is just my ...
                            '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
                            '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
                            79 Trans Am project
                            ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

Well me personally I love HRPT, BUT the reason is, I love riding the back roads and seeing America, and getting to see all the friends I've met over the last 7 year's. A side Tour during the PT or one all to it self is a definite " well heck ya ". Y'all know me I'm all about hanging out with the Bangshifters! Heck we can have our own LONG HAUL sign made. Now don't get me wrong I would miss HRPT, I mean heck it got me HERE!! Perhaps this will be a discussion that can be brought to life around the fire pit at the Gearhead Inn this Fall and next Spring.
                              Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
                              If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Working...
                              X