Route Maps and GPS directions

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Route Maps and GPS directions

Now that the route is posted, how do we load the route into a GPS?
    Or load route into an iPhone?
    Is there a website with links to print outs of the day by day maps?

Danford1

Garmin has BASE CAMP. I believe you can use Google Maps also.

Nick

Comment

I have a Tom Tom and and iPhone.Anyone know how I can program and store a route in either of them?

Danford1
      Last edited by danford1; May 28, 2016, 06:39 AM.

Comment

I plan on using the directions and I-phone. More than likely my son will do most of the driving and I will navigate. I plan on just dropping a pin on the up coming turn as we go. DW (dear wife ) did similar last year and it worked great.
        I have ADD with a lazy feature.....according to my wife!

Comment

I'm alone in my car, no navigator.
          I need a way to program the route into my iPhone and just turn where it tells me to. I can't read directions, look at maps, play with my phone etc while driving.
          Is there a way to load a route into an iPhone?

Danford1

Comment

Originally posted by danford1 View Post
            I'm alone in my car, no navigator.
            I need a way to program the route into my iPhone and just turn where it tells me to. I can't read directions, look at maps, play with my phone etc while driving.
            Is there a way to load a route into an iPhone?

Danford1
            Best thing to do is join with a group or at least partner with someone and use your device for back up. We have anywhere from 5 to 8 cars in our group, I have my boy's with me one is 19 and I rarely ever even look at a map except to find the hotel or if we get big time separated. You're welcome to join up with us.
            Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
            If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Thanks for the offer but I'm traveling a day ahead of time. When I wake up in the morning, I'll already be in the venue city...

I'm getting a Garmin GPS. I'll route the days travel in Basecamp then load it into the Garmin.

Thanks
              Danford1

Comment

Thanks for the offer but I'm traveling a day ahead of time. When I wake up in the morning, I'll already be in the venue city...

I'm getting a Garmin GPS. I'll route the days travel in Basecamp then load it into the Garmin.

Thanks
                Danford1
                I'm only four hrs away we'll be there before lunch and go to the veterans home car show, but heck I might leave Thursday afternoon and visit with some of the other's in our group. Anyway hope to see/meet you on the road.
                Perry

Comment

Thanks
                  Danford1
                  Don't know if this is your first time but unless (you're a sponsor/vendor) I think you're doing it wrong.
                  Non-denominational car nut.
                  Ten Time Long Hauler! 2001-2011
                  Do you go all the way?

Comment

I did a partial tour in 2011.
                    In 2012 I did the Long Haul with a friend so yes, I had a navigator.
                    In 2013, 2014 and 2015 I did Long Hauls by myself, no navigator.
                    Each year I fight with the what I call Poor Directions.
                    Those other 5 tours, I pretty much followed the route and waited in lines for hours and hours going the last 10 miles to venues.
                    This year I'm going to try and do it a day ahead of time to see if there is less traffic.

A good example, last year, we went to two drags strips. By the time I got to the first drag strip in Madison , following the route, it was too late to race. So... The next morning I got up early and bee lined it to the next drag strip in Memphis. Guess what? I waited in Loooonnnnggg lines trying to get into an already full dragstrip. I know I was a couple hours ahead of those that followed the route. Yet, there were already thousands of cars there. All locals, I don't think so.
                    Who knows, my day ahead plan might be a waste of time. I'll find out this year :-)

Danford1

PS, I'm surprised no one mentioned the problem with this years directions, the last stop, last lines of directions. The miles are off. No way of knowing how far to that last destination...
                    Last edited by danford1; May 29, 2016, 07:13 PM.

Comment

Well I guess I won't see ya on the road then. Long line's are aggravating but to me riding with your friends and sometimes getting lost with them offsets it. I missed the dragstrip's last year but I'll try again this year.
                      This will be my 6th long haul , 7th PT
                      Last edited by corvettedad; May 29, 2016, 10:42 PM.

Comment

If you did a long haul last year, how did you miss two drags strips? They were the venues.
                        I guess I'm confused.... Or did you mean you didn't run your car at the drags trips ?

Danford1

Comment

inRoute is a good app for your iPhone. That's what I use.
                          Long Hauler: 2002, 03, 04, 05, 07, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 14 ,15, 16. Short Hauler : 01, 13

Comment

If you did a long haul last year, how did you miss two drags strips? They were the venues.
                            I guess I'm confused.... Or did you mean you didn't run your car at the drags trips ?

Danford1
                            I think he just got to the strips too late - side trips with his boys.
                            Phil / Omaha

Comment

Originally posted by 70chevyC-10 View Post

I think he just got to the strips too late - side trips with his boys.
                              Ah yes. Side trips are wonderful...

Danford1

Comment

Working...
                              X