13" are 14" brakes...that is the ?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 13" are 14" brakes...that is the ?

I want your honest opinions on the 13" are 14" brakes for the front of my truck. Are they worth the money and do you really feel they stop the vehicle faster and safer?

I'm thinking really hard about them but after the rear disc system I put on my 71 from CPP and not really seeing any noticeable difference in the stopping effect I'm sorta wondering are they worth it. You hear all the hype but I want honest opinion's from those of you that have them installed and driving your vehicles with them.
    I'm looking at the McGaughys 71-72 Chevy GMC C10 Big Brake Kit Drilled Drop Spindles 63155 kit.

Retirement is better than I thought!

I just put 12.88 wilwoods on the front of the wagon and I am not thrilled with the improvement over the 11" combo I had on there. I was going to give them a little more time to see if they got better but you certainly don't have to brace yourself against the dash when you hit them hard now.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post
      I just put 12.88 wilwoods on the front of the wagon and I am not thrilled with the improvement over the 11" combo I had on there. I was going to give them a little more time to see if they got better but you certainly don't have to brace yourself against the dash when you hit them hard now.

Yea I wasn't impressed at all with the rear system from CPP. Did you put the dual pistons on it are single? The kit I post has the dual pistons which they say will clamp better! Thanks for your opinion. I just hate spending the money and it not be anymore than it is now.

Comment

The wilwoods are six piston deals - fixed mounted calipers. I am hoping they get better but figured I would share with you my initial impression. Leaving for Crusin the Coast tomorrow morning so I should get some miles on them in the next week.

Comment

The wilwoods are six piston deals - fixed mounted calipers. I am hoping they get better but figured I would share with you my initial impression. Leaving for Crusin the Coast tomorrow morning so I should get some miles on them in the next week.
          Dang it man! Nice...you spent some coin then. For those I would have thought a big notice in stopping power!

Comment

alan power or non

Comment

hydroboost - 1,300 lbs at the calipers

Comment

you would think that would be good one customer said it toke more heat cycles than wilwood said

Comment

i'm sure it has nothing to do with the weight up front (maybe a small block will make it stop better.
                  OMG, then it would be slower. sorry for that brain fart.)
                  Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

My factory disc up front are 11" ones so now to decide what I want I guess!

Comment

Red's stock brakes were 12 inch discs on the front, 10 inch on the rear. When I completely cooked the stock system the first time out at a track, all I knew is I want to do a track again and I need better brakes. WAY more better brakes.

Went for overkill on the front, Stop Tech 14 inch rotors with cooling hoses and Motul fluid, that's DOT4+ heat capability. Got that fixed, the heat dissipation thing, something you will NEVER get into driving on the street, only abusing the ride on a track. What I saw, as far as stopping QUICKER, it's all in the pads. I can say I was disappointed when I put over $2K worth of brakes on the front and Red didn't stop any faster, as Stop Tech sent street pads to go with the kit.

Hawk pads. They come in varying levels of extreme performance. The ones that are meant to stop you on a track over and over are metallic and they squeal like a pig at slow speeds and dust the rims up like always and big time and forever. But you want to stop FAST? Same calipers, different pads, new ballgame.

For stopping faster, I personally wouldn't pay much attention to the rears, except for the pad compound. I was perfectly happy with Red's stock single piston calipers on the rear with a Hawk pad to go with it. But twice in a row I've busted a stock rear caliper seal at tracks. Hoping for, waiting for performance brakes for the rear, just to hopefully be able to drive tracks and keep all of the fluid in the car. I don't expect to stop that much faster with performance rears, but we'll see if they ever get here. If they DO stop faster than what we already have, we'll make good use of the 5 point harnesses, not getting tossed through the windshield under hard braking at a track.
                      Last edited by pdub; October 29, 2015, 09:04 AM.
                      Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

I am making progress on my deal. I installed a smaller master cylinder and it got lots better. So in typical gearhead fashion, I ordered a smaller one yet and will be testing it this weekend. Hope to be flexing the calipers soon

I agree with PeeWee (did I actually type that out loud?) pads are a big part of the deal but from what I can determine, those pads that make you feel like a hero can also be hard on rotors. Since all my driving is on the street, I am hoping to find a pad that is low dust / low noise with a reasonable amount of initial bite.

Comment

alan have you check the pedal ratio

Comment

Yes - it is ~ 4:1

And yes, I am in the process of building a ~6:1 but if the smaller master cylinder does the trick and I have enough pedal travel then I suspect I will stick with the pedal I have.
                            Last edited by cstmwgn; October 30, 2015, 06:34 AM.

Comment

Since all my driving is on the street, I am hoping to find a pad that is low dust / low noise with a reasonable amount of initial bite.
                              Shoot, whatever. They are all low dust and low noise and reasonable bite until you go racing. In my case it's not racing, just driving as fast as you can on a road course for the sheer fun of it. I can't stress enough, nobody will ever ever ever use brakes on the street like you have to use them on a road course. You don't need brakes on the street. Not beyond what comes stock on the car. Those are plenty. Until you do a road course. THEN you need brakes, more brakes. SERIOUSLY more brakes. The street, no. Cars come with enough brakes for the street.
                              Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Working...
                              X