Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

2016 Route. Any guesses? Where would you like to go?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2016 Route. Any guesses? Where would you like to go?

Fresh off the tour and we've all pretty much said our peace in the other thread about what we liked/didn't like and what we want to do to our cars for '16, now lets hear about guesses and where you'd like to see the route go. A lot of us are in agreement that out west would be cool but I think we all know that won't happen. All I know is what I heard and it will start again in Gonzales. So from there, personally I'd like to see it head east across the Gulf and into Florida and down A1A. Or maybe Go east across the Gulf, go a little north and then back down and maybe end at the speedway in Daytona or even Cap Canaveral but personally after 5 I'd like to see some different places. So, lets hear it, this ought to be fun.
    Visit my sons blog:
    www.driftundertheradar.com

Wherever it goes, I'd like to see shorter routes. Would be nice to have time to stop and explore some of the places we go through or near without having to worry about getting to the venue in time to punch our credentials. By the way, enjoyed meeting you and your son in Madison, Damon!!
    Last edited by elcaminogirl59; June 30, 2015, 08:30 PM.
    Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
    Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

Seven beaches in seven days tour?

Comment

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
        Seven beaches in seven days tour?
        Is that the correct spelling for "beaches"?
        I can never tell with you'alls accents!

I could easily do a beach tour as long as it was in the South (east or west).

Comment

I was trying to think of a beach/NASCAR trip, I found the tracks using this site:

RacingIn.com is a race track locator and speedway directory for the United States and the grassroots of racing. Find dirt tracks, asphalt short tracks, drag strips, and road courses throughout the US

Baton Rouge (Gonzales)
          Pensacola, FL - 250 miles - Couple small tracks in the area
          Jennings, FL (or Valdosta, GA) - 275 miles - Again, small track
          Daytona, FL - 175 miles - Daytona International Speedway
          Savannah, GA - 230 miles - Small Tracks in area
          Atlanta, GA - 250 miles - Atlanta Motor Speedway
          Talladega, AL- 110 miles - Talladega Super Speedway

I think that would be an awesome trip (assuming those small venues could handle the people... or a college nearby those areas... whatever...)

Add 50-75 miles for the scenic route (the interstate miles are listed above)

I think that's a trip I could even talk my wife into going on again... 3 days on/near a beach... Savannah is a beautiful city.
          Last edited by Jesse James 80; July 1, 2015, 05:49 AM.
          1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
          1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
          1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

My guess is it will end in Detroit. It's been a few years.

Comment

Originally posted by cstmwgn View Post

Is that the correct spelling for "beaches"?
              I can never tell with you'alls accents!

I could easily do a beach tour as long as it was in the South (east or west).
              I don't know, I am spell check dependent...and in the south. It could be spelled different...but may have nothing to do with surf and sand.
              Last edited by htrdharley; July 1, 2015, 07:16 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Jesse James 80 View Post
                I was trying to think of a beach/NASCAR trip, I found the tracks using this site:

RacingIn.com is a race track locator and speedway directory for the United States and the grassroots of racing. Find dirt tracks, asphalt short tracks, drag strips, and road courses throughout the US

Baton Rouge (Gonzales)
                Pensacola, FL - 250 miles - Couple small tracks in the area
                Jennings, FL (or Valdosta, GA) - 275 miles - Again, small track
                Daytona, FL - 175 miles - Daytona International Speedway
                Savannah, GA - 230 miles - Small Tracks in area
                Atlanta, GA - 250 miles - Atlanta Motor Speedway
                Talladega, AL- 110 miles - Talladega Super Speedway

I think that would be an awesome trip (assuming those small venues could handle the people... or a college nearby those areas... whatever...)

Add 50-75 miles for the scenic route (the interstate miles are listed above)

I think that's a trip I could even talk my wife into going on again... 3 days on/near a beach... Savannah is a beautiful city.
                New Smyrna, Gainesville, Bradenton, Starke (nice road course) just to name a few down in Fla.

Road Atlanta, Commerce, Atlanta Motorsports Park, Brainerd.

South Carolina has Darlington, Kershaw, Myrtle Beach Speedway (although I would not want to go near that in June, it will be the worst traffic jam ever on P.T.)

There are plenty of racetracks. The stadium venues are getting old. I for one like Gulfport, plenty of shade and scenery.

It would be nice to do a coastal swing along the Gulf into Florida, and back up the east coast into Georgia or the Carolinas.

Comment

Originally posted by htrdharley View Post
                  It would be nice to do a coastal swing along the Gulf into Florida, and back up the east coast into Georgia or the Carolinas.
                  me likey
                  nom de guerre - arrowhead from joysey

"They're no good for you. all they ever think about are cars" (GTO/Warren Oates) - Two Lane Blacktop

Comment

I like the beach run LA to FL.there is alot of places to see west to east on a coast run.how long has it been sence this has happend? I know ever back road up north. and I should not.
                    Last edited by dana5; July 1, 2015, 02:27 PM.

Comment

all great ideas for the 2016 run......but, one has to think.....first, each stop should be anywhere between 175 and almost 300 miles (?); then, which venues, that are large enough and available to host the tour; and, Hot Rod has expressed a preference to stay in the midwest, however that's defined....and, since GM is a major sponsor, we may wind up going back to Detroit......just sayin'...........rexx!

Comment

I've been from Tucson to Tucumcari
                        Tehachapi to Tonapah
                        Driven every kind of rig that's ever been made
                        Now I've driven the back roads
                        So I wouldn't get weighed
                        And if you give me weed, whites, and wine
                        Then you show me a sign
                        I'll be willin' to be movin'
                        Phil / Omaha

Comment

with my luck, the year i get transprt, it will come to florida
                          Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Just looked at the Hampton Inn in Gonzolas, LA where we stayed last year and they have no rooms available for June 3rd and 4th, 2016. Is it starting back there next year
                            Donna
                            Williamston, MI
                            Long Haul 2007,2008,2009,2010,2011 2012,2013,2014, 2015, 2016, 2017, 2018, 2019, 2021

Comment

When you run a vehicle with no A/C the last thing you want is for it to stay in the South. Head North please.
                              1964 Chevelle
                              Power Tour 2004-2008, 2013, 2015-2016, 2018
                              LH 2005-2008, 2015-2016, 2018

Comment

Working...
                              X