2015 Hot Rod Power Tour Survey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2015 Hot Rod Power Tour Survey

I received a survey from Hot Rod regarding this years HRPT. One of the problems in years past has been available parking for handicapped participants. We saw an elderly couple at Gateway that could not get to the vendors area due to the lady being in a wheelchair. They were Long Haulers. Other people we know have family members and friends who also depend on wheelchairs to get around.
    I also complained about Long Haulers not getting a license plate this year and the locals getting the best parking spots. I also gave HR good marks for a great improvement over the last few years.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

I complained about no license plates for long haulers. Other then that gave them pretty good marks for everything.

Comment

I gave good marks over all. I did mention that I preferred the way parking used to be when long haulers got preferential parking. Forgot to mention about no plate or flag. I still have all of my plates and flags from 2004. I always ran the flag all week and let it get weathered then put them in their place of honor.
      1964 Chevelle
      Power Tour 2004-2008, 2013, 2015-2016, 2018
      LH 2005-2008, 2015-2016, 2018

Comment

I gave 'em good marks for traffic control, except at Gateway and Memphis. I forgot about the flags and plates.....rats. My response will probably have no effect whatsoever.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

I gave them good marks overall. Long haulers need preferred parking and a little more effort with traffic control was big complaint.
          I have ADD with a lazy feature.....according to my wife!

Comment

My suggestion to them will to drop the VIP gold and make that longhauler parking and treatment. Their does not need to be 3 levels of people on this trip. If you are committed to doing the whole thing then you are a VIP. They even said it on the stage at the longhauler ceremony, they love the longhaulers.
            Visit my sons blog:
            www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

Overall, I gave good marks, as I had a lot of fun and traffic doesn't bother me as much as it used to, however I did make a parking suggestion.

Whenever you go to a huge concert, or race event, or even the huge spring/fall autofairs at Charlotte, NC etc there's always a "chain" of parking people that take you from the entrance to the parking spots. I feel that a lot of the wait and slow down was due to people not knowing where to go, or trying to park all over the place instead of going down a row and taking the next available space, as once you got past the main entrance, there was no one to show you where to go. We all love our cars and want a 10' perimeter around them, but when surrounded by other "car guys" you would hope your car would be fine, so just take the next dang space.

I also mentioned that they should have a separate colored sticker (or something) for people that need handicap access (I guess this would have to be proven with a HC hang tag or plate at the time of registration so people don't abuse it?) so they can have "front row" or easy access to the main stage/vendor area.
              Last edited by Jesse James 80; June 19, 2015, 06:41 AM.
              1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
              1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
              1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

gave them an overall of very good. only real complaint was getting in at the last two venues. gulfport was ridiculous.
                Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

good marks for all, although getting into Gateway (Madison) was somewhat iffy, for a time there they ran two lines, then only let one go and held the other, back and forth.....

Comment

For the last few miles each day there should be 2 routes - maybe A-M take one road to Gate A while N-Z takes another to Gate B. Might relieve some congestion. My car overheated for the first time this year waiting to get into Gateway. Not getting a license plate was bogus too.
                    Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

I laid it all out for them. Told them that long haulers are VIP, license plates have been a tradition and going away from it was a mistake, a need to let everyone know that they don't need to take up two spaces around them and saving spots for someone is not necessary and they need designated handicap entrance and parking. Overall it was a good trip. I can overlook a lot of things because i'm reasonable when it comes to heavy traffic, but I have no tolerance for lack of handicap entrances and parking. Talking to Perry they did a better job but it needs to be more clear. But, I told them I'll be right there next year.
                      Visit my sons blog:
                      www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

I haven't completed the survey yet. Other than emphasizing the LongHauler & Handicap parking, is there anything else I can mention for anyone?

2015 is my first Long Haul & overall I thought it went great. Didn't know the plates were free before, so I didn't mind paying $10 for this years. Wish I had 2 back-packs cuz my boys are fighting over who gets this one(told them I'm not sharing)

Traffic & venues was about what I had expected from listening to what has happened in the past. I thought the long-slow snaking line at Gateway was a bit much, but I followed jesse james all the way in. It was ok up to the part where the line lead us into the staging lanes for the drag strip. Lack of direction was obvious there. I got into everywhere else really easily, incl. Gulfport. Drove right up to the main gate there, no line at all, but I also left Hoover very early so I could get to the beach.

I'll do the survey sometime tomorrow, so if there is anything else I can mention... let me know.
                        '86 Monte SS (sold) ~ HRPT 2015, '17, '18 ~ Long Hauler
                        '73 Dodge Coronet Wagon ~ ‘19 Long Hauler
                        79 Trans Am project
                        ’90 Chevy 454 SS

Comment

getting there early is the trick to missing long lines, but then you don't get to stop and enough things along the route.
                          Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by Redline04 View Post
                            I followed jesse james all the way in. It was ok up to the part where the line lead us into the staging lanes for the drag strip.

LOL

I forgot about that... I should have stayed in line and showed them what my 200HP 289 could really do! I maybe could have beat that new minivan that ran... maybe...

Yeah, my biggest suggestion was a "parking chain" of staff all the way until cars are parked. Watch that happen... then watch everyone complain about where the "parking Nazi's" made them park
                            Last edited by Jesse James 80; June 22, 2015, 10:21 AM.
                            1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
                            1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
                            1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

I did not even bother going because I knew I would need to use a wheelchair and they never worry about that. The big parking lots are fine but in sand or on a gollf course just would not work.

Comment

Working...
                              X