Fall Colors Tour 2015

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fall Colors Tour 2015

I'm of the mindset, tonight, as I'm typing this, Unit and I could be in could be in Birmingham gigging with the Power Tour and BangShift folks right this minute. I could have gotten us there after work this evening. The problem would be with me being at the training center here at 7:00 tomorrow morning. Couldn't do it after all. Dadgummit. Got jobbed out of it, had to cancel the motel in Birmingham...we were THERE, but couldn't go after all. Bummer. I'm pissed.

I miss you guys, all of ya, you know who y'all are. I'm so sorry we couldn't be there. Dadgummit. Rats.

But even while the Power Tour is in progress, I don't think it's too early to start hyping the Fall Colors Tour, since nobody has done that (the hyping) yet. Again, in the mindset of us all being together for another gathering....and Terri did say one time the most fun about it is talking about it for 6 months.

Unit and I have already come up with the theme for the next song, after the driving is done in the mountains in the fall. Vic inspired his song in a microsecond last spring, and Terri did it last fall. He's got "No Help," and Terri's got "Small Animals Die."

In the spring we had Unit, Diane Okie, Terri, John and Kathy, Big Dave and Jim and Mary all scattered out caterwauling off-key. John named us the "Fishing Tackle Band," with all the noise we were making.

From the videos of this spring's thing, Diane Okie gets a song. It happens at 1:00. Unit is over on the right corner of the screen trying to sell a coffee can and some maracas before we do "No Help." Watch, at 1:00. Here comes Diane out of the shadows to get the maracas. I've never seen anything quite like it, but here she comes. Don't know the words or the progression or the tempo of it yet, but Diane'e song will be called, "I Can Run Fast Leaning Backward." Like a Road Runner cartoon. Yep.

Dang, it's fun. Unit and I will be to every one of those until they completely quit happening from old age or death. Heaven forbid we miss one of those. I might even quit my job to not miss one of these. It's too dadgum much fun.

Watch Diane at 1:00. "I can run fast leaning backward."

Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Don't give me any credit for this, pdub. I can't see Diane running fast leaning backwards in the video, hence I lack the appropriate inspiration to make a song.

Comment

Now I'm thinking again..(the Power Tour folks have left Birmingham and we missed it) ... the Gear Head Inn is what it is because of a labor of love by Jim and Mary. It's an amazing story. Jim is from Florida, Mary is from Minnesota. There's an obvious difference in vocal accent if nothing else. i asked Jim late one night around the fire pit, "So, how did you two meet?"

I don't want to tell it wrong, and I might. But I think Jim said they met at a car show somewhere and love ensued. And it ended up being a small old motel (21 rooms) in the NC mountains. And they survive by word of mouth and Facebook, and return visitors. They have done okay and are thriving when somebody like our bunch shows up.

They love noise. They love burnouts in the parking lot. They love anything that "goes." Motorcycles or cars. Jim is a serious gearhead, a car builder. That's what they wanted, the theme for the motel (hence, the name of the place). And they WANT us to set up all the music stuff and make racket after dark with THAT.

It's just astounding. Jim and Mary are the best two people any of us would ever want to meet, and according to their dream (owning and running a hotrod motel), they are living it. A theme motel. Exactly small enough in a place just perfect enough with hosts just as much fun and personable enough. It's like a dream, a real good late at night sound asleep dream. It don't get any better.

Comment

Well dad gumit throw a date at me I'm getting short on vacation days but if it can fall on one of my weekends off_______well you know me " BEAM ME UP SCOTTY!
        Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
        If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

OK guys and Gals. I know the Gear Head is a blast but check this out. Hot Rod is Having a PowerFest 2015 East at Darlington SC this year Oct-2-4. I' m thinking it might be a good place we could all meet up for a Fall Colors thing. I know Lars has info on it in another post so check it out. But if we all got together and found a hotel we could have a blast.

Give me your thoughts if anyone wants to go to this and i will try to find a Hotel.

Thanks Chris

Comment

PeeWee if our outage doesn't stop me from coming count me and the Mrs in again. Look forward to seeing everyone again as you I missed the tour this year.
            Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

I'll have to think about it, was thinking a little more laid back BUT if that's what the majority wants I won't be left out. I am off that weekend and the next weekend 10-11. So regardless of where those or the dates I vote for ! If we do October.
              Last edited by corvettedad; June 24, 2015, 03:25 PM.

Comment

Now that I know the trailer works good maybe this year we can join... I am looking the weekend of the 9-12 of October doesn't interfere with a football have I want to go to and Therese can have off Friday and Monday due to the holiday.. Need to know soon to get time put in for
                Long Hauler 2009, 10, 11, 12, 15 3 of 7 in 2013 5 of 8 in 2014 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Comment

don't think i can make it. i'm trying for SEMA in oct
                  Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                    don't think i can make it. i'm trying for SEMA in oct
                    Sema is in November

Comment

Oh no, I was looking last night our fall golf cart off roading weekend is the 9,10,11 at the CAW in Winnsboro SC that weekend! I'm already booked a cabin. Maybe shoot for another weekend! Please. Pretty please.
                      Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

Originally posted by 67ragtop View Post

Sema is in November
                        either way, between SEMA, ATC conferance in two weeks in Virginia, and Turkey Rod Run in November, then back out to LA for the Grand National show in January, there may not be enough money in the bank for anything else
                        Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Bump

Comment

Originally posted by corvettedad View Post
                            Bump
                            Okay, I'll say it: RE destination, not calendar date, I'd hate to not do the Gearhead w/ Jim and Mary. Throw my opinion into the pile....that place, that setting is just too right. I'm a junior member of this crazy family, but we bring the noise after dark, and Jim and Mary more than just allow it. why in the world go anywhere else? Just sayin'...quietly.

Comment

Why instead of........why not in addition to?
                              John 'n Kathy ('65 GTO)
                              Western North Carolina

"I'd rather do it than watch it"

Comment

Working...
                              X