Day 1 on the Route (leaving Madison)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Day 1 on the Route (leaving Madison)

Many are talking about re-routing etc, but I strongly suggest taking the PT planed route as much as possible the first part of the first day (leaving Madison). Many more people line the streets of the small towns on a Sunday (weekend) compared to all the other weekdays. About an hour in on the route is Delavan, WI that is a very cool town, and has a huge summer car show (750+ cars) so really is a true car town. If at all possible I'd suggest staying the route until at least past there... Just saying... should be one on the larger "welcomes" that we get.

That was my favorite part of the tour last year.

1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
    1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
    1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

We always enjoy that part a lot too!
      Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

I am taking the route till I get sick of traffic where it is bad, since I know the area I will just vear off and go my route or if it isnt bad I take the route the whole way
        Last edited by GTPilot88; May 26, 2015, 05:43 PM.
        Long Hauler 2009, 10, 11, 12, 15 3 of 7 in 2013 5 of 8 in 2014 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Comment

Click image for larger version

Name:	061614154701.jpg
Views:	33
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	1034798 I'll suck it up and this is why Click image for larger version

Name:	061614154701.jpg
Views:	65
Size:	122.2 KB
ID:	1034797
          Last edited by corvettedad; May 26, 2015, 05:58 PM.
          Pt 2010, Long Haul 2011,12,13,14,15,16,17, 18, 19, 23
          If you wait, all that happens is that you get older

Comment

Route always. It is always good to see the look on all the peoples faces ..And all the thumbs up

Comment

I will take the route until near Heidt's. Was there last year and not really interested in returning. Will be a long day without it.

Comment

Same here. After driving thru Delavan we are turning south on WI-67 to US-14 on to IL-23. After seeing the Coffee Pot Lady Statue in Streator, IL we will take part of old US-66 around Dwight, IL before heading down IL-47 to Champaign.
                1993 LX Mustang Convertible
                1987 Saleen Mustang Hatchback

Comment

Well as much as i know traffic will suck on IL 59 ,it literally goes right past my house in Plainfield so i'm hitting the route for at least day one!
                  Has anyone seen my fan?

Comment

Originally posted by 93Roan View Post
                    Same here. After driving thru Delavan we are turning south on WI-67 to US-14 on to IL-23. After seeing the Coffee Pot Lady Statue in Streator, IL we will take part of old US-66 around Dwight, IL before heading down IL-47 to Champaign.
                    What is the Coffee Pot Lady?

Comment

will be driving route from madison to my house on sunday, will update if anything in that area needs attention. Only think i know as of now is Dowtown Lake Geneva could get messy.
                      Long Hauler 2009, 10, 11, 12, 15 3 of 7 in 2013 5 of 8 in 2014 1988 Pontiac Fiero GT

Comment

Coffee Pot Lady Unveiled in IllinoisCoffee pot ladies were volunteers, often middle-aged, who greeted troop trains during World War II with sandwiches and large, steel pots of steaming coffee. Long forgotten, these unsung heroines of The Good War have now been honored in Streator, Illinois. The ladies here alone poured coffee for an estimated 1.5 million soldiers and sailors at the Santa Fe Depot. A campaign for a bronze coffee pot lady statue began here in 1991 and weathered many setbacks, including the death of its initial backer and zero interest from corporate sponsors. But the Streator Woman's Club persisted. Bricks were sold for $25 apiece -- almost a thousand in all -- and another local backer was found who paid for the statue out of his own pocket. The figure, a life-size bronze on a pedestal, depicts a coffee pot lady pouring hot joe out of a large metal pot for a grateful GI. It was unveiled on November 10. Streator once called itself the "Glass Container Capital of the World." The local tourism committee now calls it "A Quiet Surprise On The Prairie." Streator is the birthplace of many odd celebrities, including Bob Tattersall, "King of Midget Car Racing," although none of them have statues yet. The coffee pot lady may be just the eye-opener needed to get those other tributes started.... - See more at: http://www.roadsideamerica.com/news/....Lk7d1w5P.dpuf
                        1993 LX Mustang Convertible
                        1987 Saleen Mustang Hatchback

Comment

I'm having trouble trying to follow the route on Mapquest or other mapping sources.
                          Is there a website that has the route mapped out where I can print it?
                          I've been on 3 long hauls so far and ALWAYS have trouble deciphering the directions as written.
                          The mileage reference as given is always useless as I leave from a motel, not the venue.
                          Where can I get the route mapped out?
                          Thanks
                          Danford1

Comment

HELLO HOT ROD POWER TOUR!
                            Gibson City is just 30 mi North of Parkland right on Rt. 47. The City of Gibson and Chamber of Commerce are setting up a WELCOME for any drivers that want to come down via a 2-lane road.

Our town has numerous fast-food and family restaurants, Including the Bayern Stube, a 4-star German restaurant. (Reservations accepted, but not necessary). Also we offer several gas stations, groceries, golf course w/ dining, camping, bars and shopping.

The Harvest Moon Drive-In is on the south end of town, for those of you who got tickets for the shows from Edelbrock. If you are coming to the drive-in that night we strongly encourage you to come to town early to reduce traffic which will be really tight coming in to town! There will be police to help move your group in to the drive-in quickly, but coming to town early will really help! Gibson City's restaurants and businesses will be happy to serve you!

Comment

NICE!

Comment

Working...
                              X