Pilot transportation offer

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pilot transportation offer

None of us ever takes off on the Power Tour adventure thinking our old bucket of bolts will leave us stranded. Every single one of us expects we will make the journey without catastrophic failure of a critical component. I am proud to say I've never had to receive any help and I am even more proud to say that I've helped several folks get on down the road. It's a good feeling to lend a hand when you can. I have always figured that if my beloved Mach 1 failed me too bad to fix on the side of the road, I'd just rent a Ryder truck and trailer and bring it home. This year we are taking two cars. That added a little more stress to the preparations.

Then a couple of days ago I get an email from Hot Rod telling me about all the vendors etc... I noticed that the good folks from Pilot are willing to help us get our hot rods home in the event we suffer a catastrophic failure, or "scrap iron fit" as my Dad always said. I've got to tell you, that's a great comfort. Knowing that help isn't far away if you need it makes for a lot more pleasant experience.

My Mach 1 is 42 years old. My Indy 500 F-150 is 36 years old. I don't anticipate using the services offered by Pilot. But, I will certainly stop by their trailer and thank them in person. As for the rest of you, if you need help please call me. I will never drive off and leave you stranded. It ain't my style. If we can't fix it, at least we can get it home for you.

Dean and Tracey Bitner - 1973 Mach 1 Mustang (RSRXION)

agreed......I have been in contact with Pilot, to transport my car back home (Indiana) from Gonzales, LA.....great folks, and I will be stopping by their trailers, starting in Madison....rexx!

Comment

i can not say enough good things about Pilot transport . I was one of the unlucky lucky ones whose vehicle they brought home to me after last year's nightmare. they were prompt, no complaints and will also stop by and say thanks

Comment

I asked about transportation from the tour in 2014 as I was dealing with an engine issue and wasn't sure if it was catastrophic yet or not. Their guy all but ignored me, wouldn't talk or answer any questions. Glad they worked out well for others but after my exchange with them I was researching other options.
        Last edited by 200kss; May 25, 2015, 04:55 AM.
        GM G-bodies, because I can't afford a 69 Camaro.

Comment

Pilot transported Mike & Susie's '58 wagon from Champaign-Urbana to St. Louis, where we were able to swap engines, during the 2012 tour. I know Jim is friends with their driver & got it set up but I do not know if they charged him or not.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Wagon5.JPG
Views:	24
Size:	129.8 KB
ID:	1034444
          ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

i'm not trying to make any excuses for them but the guy kinda kept blowing me off all week then thursday or friday he finally answered if they could get my car home for me. it may have had something to do with the contest they had that i was unlucky enough to be one of the winners

Comment

Anyone have an idea what these kind of companies charge per mile/job? I have a car I need shuttled from the Midwest to TX.
              Last edited by Criscobath; May 26, 2015, 12:11 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Criscobath View Post
                Anyone have an idea what these kind of companies charge per mile/job? I have a car I need shuttled from the Midwest to TX.

there are several transport companies, but some "do a particular route", and some do not.....and, sometime it depends on if you need an exact pickup date....most have emails that you can contact and get a quote.......

Comment

Originally posted by rexdogg View Post

there are several transport companies, but some "do a particular route", and some do not.....and, sometime it depends on if you need an exact pickup date....most have emails that you can contact and get a quote.......
                  I hate to bother the companies with a quote if I can find out if it's going to be $1000+ from those who have used them in the past. For that kind of money, I'll fly up and rent a truck and trailer.

Comment

Originally posted by Criscobath View Post

I hate to bother the companies with a quote if I can find out if it's going to be $1000+ from those who have used them in the past. For that kind of money, I'll fly up and rent a truck and trailer.

the quotes are usually easy, via emails......Pilot Transport, Reliable, Premier Auto Carriers, Intercity Lines, Horseless Carriage, etc.....for example, for me to reserve a UHaul truck and trailer in Baton Rouge (for transport back to NW Indiana), the cost would be about $950, then factor in gas costs for a 900 mile trip (and a hotel to break up the trip?).....shipping the vehicle may be easier.....it may be worth it to at least get a couple of quotes......
                    Last edited by rexdogg; May 26, 2015, 01:56 PM.

Comment

If any of you stopped by thier truck in (what was it 2012?) I was cooking almost everyday. They brought the grill and bought the food. A company that goes that extra mile, for sure !

Chef Dave
                      DTB - RETIRED

Comment

We hung with them during Woodward a few years back (and with "Chef Dave" that year). They seem to be really good people.
                        Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                          We hung with them during Woodward a few years back (and with "Chef Dave" that year). They seem to be really good people.

I wish I would have known that (Woodward).....I've done the Woodward cruise the last three years, going up this year again........rexx!

Comment

Originally posted by rexdogg View Post

the quotes are usually easy, via emails......Pilot Transport, Reliable, Premier Auto Carriers, Intercity Lines, Horseless Carriage, etc.....for example, for me to reserve a UHaul truck and trailer in Baton Rouge (for transport back to NW Indiana), the cost would be about $950, then factor in gas costs for a 900 mile trip (and a hotel to break up the trip?).....shipping the vehicle may be easier.....it may be worth it to at least get a couple of quotes......
                            Thanks. All very good points. I'll call around today and see what I come up with.

Comment

None of us ever takes off on the Power Tour adventure thinking our old bucket of bolts will leave us stranded.
                              Um, I fully expect to break something every year I go.
                              Powertour off/on since 2002
                              sigpic

Comment

Working...
                              X