Power Tour Oil Changes

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Power Tour Oil Changes

Just curious as to what others do. My car got it's spring oil change and by the time the tour rolls around it will only have 800-1000 miles on it, but I need to drive the car +/-3,300 miles. Do y'all just dump your low/mid mileage oil right before the tour? Does anyone actually do an oil change on the tour?

I know what I plan to do (dump it again before tour), just thought I'd start a conversation on it...
    1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
    1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
    1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

I almost always change my oil on tour - when ever it hits 3,000 miles. It doesn't take that long and most autoparts stores will take the old oil.

Comment

My mustang is lowered and I can't fit under it without ramps and neither will my drain tub, it hits the pan sump. Being a fairly small car there isn't a whole lot of room to pack extra stuff (like a bigger jack)! I hate the bottle jack it has, but it works in a pinch.

If I had taken the car a few years ago when I first got it, I wouldn't have to change the oil, it would have probably leaked out 10 quarts by the time I got back, no need to change it, just keep adding!
      Last edited by Jesse James 80; March 23, 2015, 12:50 PM.
      1967 Chevrolet C10 SWB - 350/700R/3.73
      1965 Ford Mustang - 289/T5/3.25
      1968 Pontiac Firebird - Project Rusty Chicken

2014 HRPT Short Haul; 2015, 2016, & 2018 HRPT Long Hauler

Comment

On the 2012 PT with the 1962 Rambler SW, the engine was so worn out we did not change the oil.. We REPLACED it. 26 quarts in 4500 miles.
        For 2015 the engine is rebuilt and not showing any signs of oil consumption.

Nick

Comment

I change mine before we leave and again when we get home which is usually around 3,000 miles. Round trip, y'all will run over a 1,000 miles more than we will. Allen will run even more.

HRPT 2000, 2003, 2005, 2007, 2009, 2011, Long Haul 2008, 2010, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016, 2017,2018

68 Camaro S/S convertible, 69 Camaro Coupe

Comment

i run royal purple syn i,ll do 4000 miles with no worries

Comment

Just find a curb and pull it up on on side. Should give you enough room. We will stand lookout for you.
              Visit my sons blog:
              www.driftundertheradar.com

Comment

I know some will stroke out but I quit the 3000 mile thing a long time ago. Normally it happens between 5 and 6 thousand miles. However I'm a little anal about the air filter.
                I have ADD with a lazy feature.....according to my wife!

Comment

I change before the tour and after if I run a little over its not that big a deal most of the time I'm on time.
                  Greg & Mendy Dayton, Ohio 2007LH 2008LH 2010LH 2011LH 2012 1st 2 stops 2013LH 2015 1st 2 stops2016LH 2017 first and last stops . 2018 LH ("It's better to be dead and cool than alive and uncool!! Harley Davidson!")

Comment

I would extend the oil now and change it right before we leave and change it again after you get back home. 3000 to 5000 ant going to matter in the big picture!

+ it's a Ford Jess don't worry about it! But if you feel the need I'll have the floor jack in the truck.
                    Last edited by Andy4639; March 23, 2015, 04:40 PM.
                    Retirement is better than I thought!

Comment

with a tight motor, you can get by on a before/after regimen... we use Mobil 1 full synthetic turbo diesel oil, due to it's higher break down temperature and higher impact strength...we run power tour with an extra quart or two with the tools just in case... it has never been an issue as of yet...
                      Patrick & Tammy
                      - Long Haulin' 2008, 2009, 2010, 2011, 2012, 2014...Addicting isn't it...??

Comment

change before, change after mobil 1 here also. usually end up with 3500 or so miles on it between normal changes for me. it will be close enough that i dont worry to much.

Comment

The Chevy II had a bit of a rear main seal leak, so I needed to add half a quart every other fill-up ... so I was on the continuous replacement regime just like allot of us. For a tight motor I'd change just before and again when I got home.

Comment

Before and after for me too.........I run the cheap stuff.....Valvoline 5-W-30 or 10-W-40..............K&N filter.
                            Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                            HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Same here, before & after. Valvoline 10W/40, WIX oil filter & K&N air filter. But I do carry a complete oil/filer change just in case. Also a pair of jack stands, chocks & a small drain pan just in case. All of that fits quite comfortably in a corner of the trunk.
                              ...when you got a fast car, you think you've got everything.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZpvfmSL6WkM

Comment

Working...
                              X