"Dave the Bartender" Unveiled !

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Dave the Bartender" Unveiled !

During our trip on the "Fall Colors Tour" in 2009, Bruce (cobra) told me about the Billet-Proof Show coming up in February 2010 in North Florida and asked if I wanted to come. I said "Sure, what's Billet-Proof"? He told me it was a car show of vintage cars & bikes with no billet wheels or parts of any kind and that his friend Dave the Bartender would meet us there. This is how I was introduced to him; "He's the pair of legs on the right" - ha, ha, ha.

He had a broken rear shock, so was replacing them during the show. Anyhow, fast forward to earlier this week in the "Finish Line Party" thread, he dropped a hint of getting a new Scat Pack and I begged for some more details. He didn't let me down ...

Originally posted by Dave the Bartender
    So yes I did order a Scat Pack.

After Vietnam my Father worked at the Chrysler factory till he retired, so I have a little bit of Dodge in my DNA ! Unfortunately recently, the brothers haven’t built anything “exciting” and in my price range (even with the great employee discount) till this year. Well even though I wanted one really BAD, the Hellcat was out of my price range, but with a base price of $37,500 the Scat Pack was doable. Doable if I sold my Harley . . and my 10 second Race car . . . and my 65 Camino . . . and traded in my Pick-up truck. Everything comes at a price and I decided a 500 horse power daily driver would be a fair trade. Hey, no one ever accused the Bartender of being smart.

The Dealer was AWESOME. The Salesman and the Sales Manager were Challenger lovers and both drive one every day to work. I ordered the car myself, sitting at the Sales Managers computer. In less than a week I had a VON, a VIN, and a build schedule. I ordered a Black, 392, Tremec 6 speed, 3.90 posi, Super Track Pac, bare bones, modern muscle car with an upgraded stereo (506 watt Alpine system with 9 speakers) and Nav system, all on a 8.4 inch touch screen control. (to help find those hotels after a long PT day of cooking and maybe a few mind numbing cold ones). Exhaust even has cut outs and the 430 rear wheel horsepower doesn’t hurt either. Some guys are running 12.4 on stock tires..

In 5 weeks, they called me and said the transport is 30 min away, can you be here? Well, HELL YEAH ! The entire sales staff all lined up and we all watched the first Scat Pack roll into the dealer ! From Brampton, Ontario to Tallahassee, FL and it looked like someone Mud Bogged it ! But I didn’t care, it had my name on the Window Sticker. The mechanic who was going to prep the car came out and introduced himself and watched with me as they rolled it off the transport. This guy was awesome ! I drove it to his bay, hung out with him while he went through his check list, then I drove it on “his” test drive . . . and to boot, he printed a copy of all the paperwork for my records, left all the plastic on everything, and (on my request) told the lot boy I was going to take it home and wash it myself !

I will use it for an everyday driver for my 80 mile round trip commute. So what do I think? It drives and stops better than anything I have ever driven, so what the heck do you think I think ! I think I am the luckiest Bartender in Sopchoppy, that’s what I think !

Still Smilin,
    DTB

Last edited by Monster; March 12, 2015, 06:19 AM.

Looks like you and I will be getting about the same great gas mileage. Good luck Dave, she's a beauty. And who doesn't like an all Black car..
    I just love my Hot Rods.

Long Hauled 2009,2010,2011,2012 and 2013. Loved every minute of it.

Comment

I like it Dave, welcome back to team MOPAR.....

Ed & Jane Tampa, FL
      1966 Plymouth Fury III
      2014 Dodge Ram 1500
      Long Hauler - 2009,2010,2012,2013,2014
      Cocoa Beach & Valdosta - 2011

Comment

I like it too, even though I'm a Chevy guy at heart. And I'm especially glad that you like it Dave. Good for you.
        Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
        HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Looks like I've become DTB's unofficial Editor and Publisher ...

Here's the story on his new 383 Stroker motor and other mods for his '55.

"The stroker was bought by my buddy Bull as a new, fresh, professionally built motor, for $1500 from a guy hurting for cash. Then I pretty much traded him some of my labor for it. He was told it had a big race cam in it so I needed to take that out and put something more streetable in it . . . and that is where all the trouble started !!! Everything I inspected was wrong. Valve springs were way too small, broken ring in No. 2 cyl. Rod bolts nearly touching the pan rail, balancer broken . . . and there was more but you get the idea. This beautiful motor had more issues than a Dr. Phil guest."

"
          The good news is, it had an all forged Scat rotating assy, H beam rods and all ARP hardware. Plus RHS heads with 2.02 valves with 200 cc intake runners. I had the block professionally re-honed and the rotating assy re-balanced, to start out with a good foundation. The tech found a missing oil galley plug under the rear main cap, hell I didn’t even know there was an oil galley plug under the rear main cap? He said with that missing it would never have built up any oil pressure. So I got it all home and re-clearanced the block for .060 clearance for the rod bolts and gapped the “new” rings for a little shot of N02. The forged pistons have a little too much dome on them for my needs so I used an extra thick head gasket to get the compression down around 10.5:1

Since the heads really flow too much for the street, I had a cam guy grind me a special roller cam with extra duration to try to make the combination work as well as possible for my non-race use. Speaking of non race, my idea is to have this motor look perfectly stock, kinda. This means a Edelbrock performer intake with the Edelbrock ground off and painted orange. This intake won’t flow as good as an RPM but with a “sleeper” there is always trade-offs."

"Bone Stock and perfectly ugly. This is the look I am try to achieve."

"Mock up of my old Hemi air cleaner and a hollowed out remote oil filter canister to house the fuel regulator. I added a snorkel to the air cleaner made from an exhaust pipe. It looks pretty stock actually. The fun is what is hidden under the air cleaner . . ."

Last edited by Monster; March 13, 2015, 10:19 AM.

Comment

"Fuel is supplied by tapping into the dual feed edelbrock fuel line and I will run one black hose under the dist. back to a hidden N02 tank. Yes this all fits in that hollowed out air cleaner shell. (shown above) The key was a vintage Moroso, rear connection N0S plate.

With this roller cam the 383 should make about 450 hp with 475 pd ft., and a 125 shot will add enough to hp to make it a good streetable combo that will have (delete) some grunt on the top end too !

Well, the five five will be a lot more fun to drive this summer and will still look pretty stock, so I should fit in with almost any crowd.

BTW the car pretty much looks the same as it did when you saw it last in Gainesville at the Billet show."

"Couple of pix for your entertainment. Had an exhaust shop stretch a piece of pipe for me, then I cut it up to look like a snorkel. Drilling the big hole was fun through that rib."

"Guess I will need to paint it black. BTW I am not trying to fool anyone, I just enjoy the fabrication part of hiding the whole system."

Too many irons in the fire ... Back to work,
            DTB

Comment

Thanks Steve for helping me reconnect with my PT friends. I missed most of you last year cause I only made two days, and I was on the Harley.Sorry, I just couldn't fit the grill in the saddle bag ! Maybe i can come up with a new plan this year.

See I didn't fall off the face of the earth DTB
              DTB - RETIRED

Comment

Glad your back.
                p.s. how is bull and hows his truck coming?
                Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Congratulations Dave! Great looking car! Have fun driving it.
                  Jim & Cathy North Mankato, MN Long Haulers '04,07,08,09,10,11,12,13,14,18,21Short Haul '05,'15,'17,’19 WST '14,'15,'16,'17,’18

Comment

Cool beans, way to go Dave!
                    Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Cool car, DTB, but don't know that I would have sold a 65 'Camino for it!!!

El Camino - the official truck for short people!!
                      Terri B. Long Hauler, Cars and Cones participant, Land Speed Racer
                      Want to know why I like wine? Have you ever thought about what fish do in water?!

Comment

Originally posted by elcaminogirl59 View Post

El Camino - the official truck for short people!!
                        Terri, let's go ahead and be politically/socially correct and say that you're the official person for El Caminos!
                        Charter member of the Turd Nuggets

Comment

Originally posted by cobra View Post
                          Glad your back.
                          p.s. how is bull and hows his truck coming?

Bull retired early and is in Cincy, OH. He is into everything mechanical lately. Fully restrored a Toyota Land Cruiser. The truck chassis is still done and the body is in body shop hell, somewhere in Mississippi. He also has an awesome 53 "Hemi Powered" Desoto station wagon undergoing a rat rod resto at "Earle's Chevy World and Daycare Center" ! Except for the cold winter weather, he says he is lovin life !

Bout ready for some snowbird guests DTB
                          DTB - RETIRED

Comment

Originally posted by Dave the Bartender View Post

Bull retired early and is in Cincy, OH. He is into everything mechanical lately. Fully restrored a Toyota Land Cruiser. The truck chassis is still done and the body is in body shop hell, somewhere in Mississippi. He also has an awesome 53 "Hemi Powered" Desoto station wagon undergoing a rat rod resto at "Earle's Chevy World and Daycare Center" ! Except for the cold winter weather, he says he is lovin life !

Bout ready for some snowbird guests DTB
                            so he switched the desoto for the toyota's parking space at Earle's chevy world and daycare center? i assume we are talking about the same toyota.
                            Bruce, Sanford, Fl

welcome to my world

Comment

Will you be on the Power Tour this year Dave?

-Rajunz

Comment

Working...
                              X