Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

What was the quickest car at Drag Week 2014 without sponsors?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

This is a little late but i would think anything we get for "free" while on dragweek couldn't be considered sponsorship because we pay 280.00 to enter the event. i figure what we get or win is a result of us paying to be there. the big dogs are going to have their sponsors which is fine with me. these cars are meant for more than DW. i'm just glad their there and we get to be a part of it. as for fastest car without sponsors? I averaged a 10.98 for the week so i know it's not me. but next year i may have my name in the running... ;)

Comment

Originally posted by tsanchez View Post
      Is rockjustrock, 38p reincarnated? What happened to him anyway
      No, definitely separate people, but rock is making some assumptions about DW that are glaringly inaccurate and on other topics splitting hairs that are notoriously 38P'ish.
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I need a discover card decal
        used to be purplecobra, now just myself. I still drive a mustang!!!!!

Comment

Actually I guess I overestimated the haters on here. I'll shup now.
          My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

As in the thread about building their own motor, I nominate John Faraone again with an 8.65@185. As far as I know he has no sponsors and also has to pay for the whole circus to come from Australia. Bear in mind also that parts that have to come from The States are a lot more expensive than for you guys. Shipping and duties are killer.
            ~Alain~
            A wise man once said: "There's no replacement for cubic inches"........then they went on and invented Forced Induction
            "You'll run outta tire, before you run outta horsepower"

Comment

Dear Alain,

Evidently Mr. Faraone has not disclosed to you that Larson Race Cars has been sponsoring him, to the tune of $4200, for the last year. While Larson Race Cars is proud of the work we have done on the car, we did not intend to be a sponsor. At the same time we are proud of his accomplishments in said Larson Race Car.

Our sponsorship unfortunately takes him out of the running for the achievement of Quickest Car on Drag Week 2014, without sponsors.

Comment

Pep Boys is now a sponsor of the green truck, they just don't know it. I used the $300 gift card towards my new Hooker headers.
                Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

Arrrrgggghhh!!! I don't CARE who is and isn't "sponsored". Or who built their own motor. I started these threads in anticipation of others hating on the truck for being heavily sponsored (deservingly so) or having a "store bought" motor. Somewhere I saw a remark in the past few years, "Anyone can go fast with a Moran motor". I was upset at that and again upset at people cutting down the truck's accomplishments this year. Back to your regularly scheduled posting. "Unintentional Sponsorship" is an interesting concept, but I'll leave that to others.

Comment

Chill Mr. Rock, I too am curious about what the quickest time was by a solo act. I would think it would be someone in the 8's as most of the ones I know running quicker have received outside help. And I make it a point not to HATE. Everyone has the freedom to run whatever they can get together, with or without help. My junk was built in the barn but a bunch of work was done by ag students. I had to step back and let them cobble stuff together, but would not have it any other way.
                    Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

I love your green truck by the way. It rules. Larry and I were both loving seeing it go down the road on day 1 to the track. I of course never saw it again because you were cruising down the road from track to track while we were still thrashing. Good job. Bring it back!

As for the store bought engine comment. I got all the parts for our engine. With the exception of the rings, bearings, a few gaskets, some fasteners, and a few odds and ends that is. The guys at Proline spoke to several of our suppliers to confirm the specs on parts, and helped us choose a few of them as well, but that's what any engine builder or local machine shop would do for you. We didn't get sponsored for some complete turn key engine from Proline. They provided expertise, labor, and advice. Which we gladly took, and is an incredible value and sponsorship from them. They rule, and assembled a great engine for us, and we consider them and amazing member of the team that made this possible. The did not however give us an engine and send us on our way to go play with it.

Callies, GRP, Diamond, Brodix, Jesel, Crane, Holley, Fuel Tech, Hogans, Victory, PAC, and ARP came through for us with deals on parts for us. Those companies built great parts that we put to good use, and we couldn't have done it without them. If we didn't have their support we wouldn't have been able to come up with such a durable combination that made such crazy power. You'll laugh, but the ARP head studs are one of the biggest keys to everything we are doing or will do with the truck. They are insane.

Larry's deal with Moran was the same way FYI. Those are Larry's parts that Moran put together. And he did a great job helping to decide on some parts as well. He's a great engine builder, but he didn't give Larry and engine to go play with.

But if I were putting together a 406 small block and took it to Derrick at L&R here in SoCal, he would be giving me the same type of advice. It's no different just because Proline is such a big name builder.
                      "A cross thread is better than a lock washer." Earl Lanning...My Grandpa

Comment

I wonder if Mike Roy is sponsored at all? He doesn't seem to say much, and his car isn't over stickered with stuff. It also hauls ass and shows up on Friday, at least on the three years I have participated 12,13,14
                        1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                        1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

No problem Chad. As I've said deepest respect for you and Larry. Nothing is really ever said about the fact the Chevy II was NOT "built for Drag Week". Larry just happened to get a kick out of building what he wanted with the chance it would be the fastest and then Drag Week came along. Also I believe when he put it together a 66-67 Chevy II was looked at as "Why not build a Camaro?" and he was a big part of that body style getting as popular as it is now.

Wait...... It went 4.0 in the 1/8th on 7.5 Lb. and you said the uber head studs are required for what you want? Plus all the talk of 1/8th mile hits all week...... Is the truck going Outlaw Pro Mod in the future? Mid 3s?
                          Last edited by RockJustRock; September 30, 2014, 04:27 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Larry Larson View Post
                            Dear Alain,

Evidently Mr. Faraone has not disclosed to you that Larson Race Cars has been sponsoring him, to the tune of $4200, for the last year. While Larson Race Cars is proud of the work we have done on the car, we did not intend to be a sponsor. At the same time we are proud of his accomplishments in said Larson Race Car.

Our sponsorship unfortunately takes him out of the running for the achievement of Quickest Car on Drag Week 2014, without sponsors.
                            Larry we both know the truth about this..but you can twist it any way you like
                            I will put up all the receipts for the work your shop did. Your work Consisted of the following only A Funny car cage 25.3 cert, 4 link rear, strange center section,modify my original fuel tank, supply and weld a steering knuckle on steering shaft, alluminium exhaust using my original muflers and dump pipes, I worked in your shop for 3 weeks labouring on my car refitting all fuel lines interior etc.
                            I have always told every one i was very happy with some of your work other then me having to have another shop set the 4 link up because the car wouldnt 60ft and you forgetting to fit fuel tank breathers my car just about exploading in texas on day 1 hot rod drag week when the steel battery bracket you made came loose and shorted the battery post at the same time the tank was about to pop.
                            Along with the original quote doubling for no extra work other then the exhaust, a steering uni, diff centre.

RE the 4200 you claim I owe you. In 2012 after you did my 25.3 cert You told me you ran out of time to fit the fire wall bars and engine plate. As you know you were meant to include the fire wall bars and plate in 2012 with the original job. You said you ran out of time and you would sort it in 2013 when i asked how much although i had already paid..You said if i do all labour you would fit the firewall bars and make the plate for 1200 dollars.
                            Not wanting to argue i said ok..After i fitted the engine plate and all accessories I called you when you were in texas testing to make payment and the price inflated it was now 4200 for something i had already paid for?
                            When i spent 55k at your shop on the 25.3 cert and 4 link and the couple other bits.

I told you several times i will pay 1200 dollars you originally quoted and you told me to jam it.As i said I was very happy with the cage and 4 link work you did just not happy how i got treated regards to the prices doubling every time things were done after you gave me quotes. I do have emails and all receipts if you want your memory refreshed.

Comment

Dear Larry,

I see your post count on this forum is only at 3, so I see you have really gone out of your way to intentionally put Mr Faraone in a bad light by basically saying he hasn't paid you money that you think he owes you.

​He surely has disclosed all the background information on this topic to me and since you opened the discussion on it in a public place, I felt no hesitation in disclosing further information on it too. I see that Mr Faraone has, himself, already replied to your accusations, so there is no need for me to go into further details. I just find it low that while his car was still at your shop, and he was headed back to Perth, he came home to find that you sent him an extra invoice. He had to fly back a month later to pay you this amount, or else his car wouldn't get shipped back.

That story on the $4200 you refer too is a story and a half isn't it? First you quote him $1200, let him do most of the work and then turn around and charge him $4200. You shouldn't have even quoted him the $1200 in the first place if you were the stand up kinda guy that many believe you are. He had already paid you more than the money he should have paid to have it done in the first place.

Oh, I also heard Mr Faraone mentioning regretting being a mule for you in 2012. It’s pretty easy to claim that trailers are for woosies when others carry spare parts for you. So saying Mr Faraone shouldn't be eligible to win the title for Quickest Car at DW2014 without sponsors is a bit funny to hear coming from a guy that shouldn't even have been eligible to win Drag Week.
                              ~Alain~
                              A wise man once said: "There's no replacement for cubic inches"........then they went on and invented Forced Induction
                              "You'll run outta tire, before you run outta horsepower"

Comment

Strange welcoming committee.... I'm way above my paygrade so I'll just say welcome aboard

Comment

Working...
                                X