Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Is DW Big Enough to Support Regional Qualifiers?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is DW Big Enough to Support Regional Qualifiers?

I'm sure we've discussed this before . . . But if DW were run by a real sanctioning body instead of a bunch of cubical hive scribes, they would probably be considering the following new "profit center:"

Setting up a handful of Friday-Saturday-Sunday regional qualifying events in various parts of the county (three days, three tracks) as qualifiers for the main DW event (with a promoter's option for some "at large" bids).

This isn't all that unlike how they run the Optima Ultimate Street Car thing that happens around SEMA time.

Is the DW franchise in demand enough to support such expansion? Or is this just crack-pottery writ large?

What say you, Bangshifters . . . . ( and the internationally-acclaimed "WE" .. . the "MENSA MAN WITH NO CAR"**)?

--------------------
    **Purists would note that it's kind of hard to bangshift on foot (or behind the wheel of an anonymous, pedestrian transportation appliance) . . . And no, whips in "Grand Theft Auto" don't really count.
    Last edited by 38P; September 18, 2014, 10:34 AM.

Originally posted by 38P View Post
    Setting up a handful of Friday-Saturday-Sunday regional qualifying events in various parts of the county (three days, three tracks) as qualifiers for the main DW event (with a promoter's option for some "at large" bids).
    There are many with no real track near by (not to mention the foreign contingent) and would have to take more vacation time than Drag Week already takes just to make "qualifying". Not to mention how many last minute thrashes/refreshes that are going on for most all the group. Or at least most all the group that participates online. Don't see that being putting more people in the event.
    Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

I say no

Comment

no here too. We have not reached the saturation point. (Come really close) 400 cut off point next year.
        Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

one week a year (that requires most of the year to get ready for) is enough for most folks, including HRM staff.
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Sensing a landslide here, but still resolutely contrarian . . .

I will point out that the One Lap of America** competitors run seven days and more than 3,000 miles . . . http://www.onelapofamerica.com/ They must be tougher and richer than we are . . . .

Also, the Ultimate Street Car Association ( http://driveusca.com/events/ ) with whom our own BSC seems to be affiliated (I think) runs qualifiers for the Optima Ultimate Street Car Invitational ( http://driveusca.com/events/las-vegas-nv-november-8-9/ ) . . . Optima isn't exactly a shrinking event, is it?

With supposedly nearly a million people reading HRM each month, and thousands upon thousands of sportsman racers at tracks across the country (many of whom could swing a three-day deal a lot easier than a full week) . . . I strongly suspect there's an untapped market here.

Let the negative votes roll in . . . . I love lost causes!

--------------------------
            **DF has stated on numerous occasions that one of the inspirations for DW was One Lap of America.

Comment

S
              I will point out that the One Lap of America** competitors run seven days and more than 3,000 miles . . . http://www.onelapofamerica.com/ They must be tougher and richer than we are . . . .
              After 30 years of running they are up to 75 cars!!! WOW, we need to follow that formula for success!

*Scratch that, my math was bad, it was 30 years not 20.
              Last edited by TheSilverBuick; September 18, 2014, 12:13 PM.
              Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post

There are many with no real track near by
                Not sure I understand . . . They couldn't drive 200 or 300 miles for a weekender but could run 1000+ miles to run DW?

(not to mention the foreign contingent)
                Promoter's option slots? How did they handle foreign entries during the DW '14 land rush?

and would have to take more vacation time than Drag Week already takes just to make "qualifying".
                One or two days? How many DWers already have 2-3 weeks of vacation? Or do other gearhead events, such as the PT ?

Sadly, DW isn't a poor-man's contest anymore (and I say that being about as low-buck as anyone competing in the event)

Not to mention how many last minute thrashes/refreshes that are going on for most all the group.
                Any more thrashes than running a weekly series, or pre-DW testing, which a lot of competitors do? Maybe qualifiers would encourage more people to get their cars done sooner instead of just wishfully entering "vaporware" rides in the spring and competing in 17-sec stockers?

. Don't see that being putting more people in the event.
                Maybe, maybe not. But if one had 150 slots subject to qualifiers and 150 slots on promoter's option. And 3-4 regionals to fill the 150 slots . .. with live feeds to stoke up the interest . . . I'd be willing to bet that there would be way more than 150 cars running in the regional shows. If not, nothing lost, because HRM could then fill any vacant slots with waiting listers.

Comment

Isnt DW itself expensive enough yet you want to have people spend more
                  to run a qualifier... dont ya think thats getting out of hand... even if they were
                  to do a east/west they would still have to have a run off in the center of the
                  country for the fastest street car and that would be a second week and maybe
                  the people would be out of vacation time... and money...... JMO

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post

After 30 years of running they are up to 75 cars!!! WOW, we need to follow that formula for success!

*Scratch that, my math was bad, it was 30 years not 20.
                    Entry fee of more than $3,000 has a lot to do with the size of the OLOA field . . . It's an even more exclusive, insider "club" than DW is. Also everyone in OLOA has to have a competition license and an acceptable competition resume (drivers' schools, competition history) . . . No noobie walk up and pay your money to run like DW.

Sure, OLOA and DW are apples to oranges, but it does suggest that five days isn't the outer limit for such events, IMO.
                    Last edited by 38P; September 18, 2014, 12:26 PM.

Comment

I don't feel Drag Week, the fastest car one not the Power Tour between tracks one, doesn't NEED regional qualifiers. If people want more events they should simply go to the racetrack more often and hopefully more of it will get into the magazines. What makes any magazine event insanely popular is it is a way to get closer to that thing you read every month.
                      My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

I think the reality is that some would for sure support a DW "series", but with the magazine crap, roadkill crap, hotrod garage crap I just don't see that as possible for the HR staff. I know all about chasing drag race series... 2 weeks ago Rockingham, last week Orlando, this week Bradenton, next week off, the next week Silver Dollar in GA, and the following week Virginia Motorsports Park, all for a Jr Dragster.

Comment

I'm sure we've discussed this before . . . But if DW were run by a real sanctioning body instead of a bunch of cubical hive scribes, they would probably be considering the following new "profit center:"
                          I highly doubt that DW is a "profit center"... DW is held to sell magazines... If a private company were running DW, then the entry fee would likely be a LOT higher... (ie. like One Lap...)

Comment

Originally posted by c2xejk View Post

I highly doubt that DW is a "profit center"... DW is held to sell magazines... If a private company were running DW, then the entry fee would likely be a LOT higher... (ie. like One Lap...)
                            Really? You think it takes 351x300 (105,000) or roughly 20k a day to sell t-shirts and magazines? Good lord man, How much IS track rental?
                            That's not counting spectators... my local track would probably kill for that kind of income.

Oh - and John, seriously, please knock that "Cubicle hive scribe" shit off. I made plenty of money over the last 20 years from a cubicle and I find it extremely offensive. Honey and vinegar man... you have good points a lot of times and I have a tough time getting to them because I'm pissed and close the thread before I get to them. You're a smart guy, you know what I'm saying here.
                            Last edited by Beagle; September 18, 2014, 02:03 PM.
                            Flying south, with a flock of bird dogs.

Comment

The insurance for the event (not just at the track) is probably pretty pricey... Plus you have all the HR staff during the event and time to prep. I am not saying that it isn't in the black right now, I just don't think the event is a big money maker...

Comment

Working...
                              X