Junk Yard Engine Replacement Exception

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Junk Yard Engine Replacement Exception

What do you think about an exception for replacing the long block during the week as long as it was a stock motor? What I am talking about is a budget build that consist of a power adder on a stock long block with a cam and spring package. My understanding is currently you can fix/replace anything but the block. When a JY engine cost less than some guys’ valve springs, who is to say a long block is not a consumable? I would require anyone that wants to take advantage of this loop hole to run an engine diaper. Everyone hates oil downs!
    http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
    1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
    ​​​​​​

You are correct in the aspect that you can change anything and
    everything except the block... to be honest I think thats a good rule
    because some guys would find it easier to change a engine than
    prep for the road trip portion of the week..... JMO... I know some
    guys hate that rule...on one year the Aussies blew their engine
    and had a dealership throw in a crate engine but that was after the
    day 1 start so they were disqualified ... but they still drove along with
    the DW group

Comment

I could be wrong, but I don't find any limitation on replacing the block in the rules. What I believe is prohibited is swapping engines for the highway portions of the event ((that is running different engines on the highways and the strips).

The problem is more practical (e.g. a competitor would either have to carry a ready-to-install block or assembly in his own trailer or source one from an outside vendor (or perhaps go home and get one and then rejoin the route at exactly where he left it) , install the replacement and get to the next track on time, all within the tight daily time constraints of the event) . . .

In fact, I believe I heard DF address the block replacement issue at one point over the PA, saying essentially what I've written above. Moreover, because HRM does not track blocks, I can't see how they would know whether or not someone substituted a JY engine at some point during the event. The only problems would potentially be in classes where engine families are date-limited (Gasser/AFX, Hot Rod) . . . but as long as the date limits were observed, there's probably not a problem even then.

Hot Rod is the final arbiter of its rules, so I'd send 'em an e-mail for a definitive interpretation.

Comment

You cannot bring a separate engine with the intention of swapping it out. If you happen to junk an engine during the week, you are allowed to ah hoc go find one as a replacement and continue on. I'm pretty sure some guys a two or three years ago bought a complete Chevy 350 long block from Autozone*/or such after they windowed their block on competition and was completely within the rules to do so. Finding a local junkyard and pulling an engine would be within the rules as well.

*The Autozone I worked at in college kept a SBC and SBF wrapped in plastic on pallets as standard in store stock, so didn't surprise me at all they found one.

**To further add, there isn't any rule saying you couldn't swap your cam and heads to the "newly acquired" short block either.
        Last edited by TheSilverBuick; September 17, 2014, 07:47 AM.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
          You cannot bring a separate engine with the intention of swapping it out. If you happen to junk an engine during the week, you are allowed to ah hoc go find one as a replacement and continue on. I'm pretty sure some guys a two or three years ago bought a complete Chevy 350 long block from Autozone*/or such after they windowed their block on competition and was completely within the rules to do so. Finding a local junkyard and pulling an engine would be within the rules as well.

*The Autozone I worked at in college kept a SBC and SBF wrapped in plastic on pallets as standard in store stock, so didn't surprise me at all they found one.

**To further add, there isn't any rule saying you couldn't swap your cam and heads to the "newly acquired" short block either.
          When did they change this rule... it was in the rules some years back
          and if it is legal then how would they enforce the no changing engines
          for the road trip(pull out of the track and head to the nearest place that
          offers mech services or hit a parking lot to do it yourself).. because I
          know this was the rule due to the Aussies that year and I also know that
          the drivers/participants wanted to vote to see if they could stay in

Comment

What year is it you are talking about?

Comment

David said on the broad cast that the rule states you cannot have a "track" engine, then pull out a "street" engine for the drive. If you blow up an engine you can get a complete engine and replace it and not be DQ'ed
              Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

Rule:
                "•Swapping engines so that one is used for the dragstrip and another for the on-road drives is not allowed.
                One long-block is to be used for the entire competition, barring the need for impromptu repairs. "

https://image.adam.automotive.com/f/...2014-Rules.pdf

I'm trying to find the story, but I know for fact one of the years I ran (it was either 2011 or 2012), some guys did exactly as I said above. Blew their engine up, found a parts store with a long block in stock, bought what they needed for a swap and did it without being disqualified.

Originally posted by MR P-BODY View Post

When did they change this rule... it was in the rules some years back
                and if it is legal then how would they enforce the no changing engines
                for the road trip(pull out of the track and head to the nearest place that
                offers mech services or hit a parking lot to do it yourself)..
                The same way you enforce the "Can't trailer your car between tracks". It's on the ethics and don't get caught enforcement.
                Last edited by TheSilverBuick; September 17, 2014, 08:31 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by nesabo View Post
                  David said on the broad cast that the rule states you cannot have a "track" engine, then pull out a "street" engine for the drive. If you blow up an engine you can get a complete engine and replace it and not be DQ'ed

If you can carry an extra transmission in the trailer I don't see the harm in an extra engine, but I am talking about replaceing junk with junk if / when it lets go. On the other end of the scale I could see some one with unlimited resouces bringing 5 promod motors and installing a fresh one every morning. "We call it a tune up"
                  Last edited by Russell; September 17, 2014, 08:40 AM.
                  http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...-consolidation
                  1.54, 7.31 @ 94.14, 11.43 @ 118.95

PB 60' 1.49
                  ​​​​​​

Comment

I do not think they would have an issue if you blowd up, and put a junkyard engine in it. I think they would encourage you do to that and continue on DW.
                    Last edited by nesabo; September 17, 2014, 12:24 PM.
                    Neal

Drag Week 2010, 2011, 2012, 2013

Comment

yup, that's what DF said....
                      My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

late on monday in tulsa it was me, mike crow, larson, and shane with the crusty nova and his boys malibu. i'm nearly sure that they got a junkyard 5.3 and swapped it in place of the trashed motor in that malibu and were nearly done when i left. i may not have understood correctly as i was scrounging for parts (which shane hooked me up with). my apologies if that information isn't accurate.

i don't see any issue if it was just broken. if they swapped in a 5.3 in place of a 15:1 454lsx methanol burner for the drives i could see an issue....
                        1980 Turbo T/A - Turbocharged 408ci Pontiac. survived DW 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Comment

Originally posted by TheSilverBuick View Post
                          What year is it you are talking about?
                          I'm sure it was 2010

Comment

Probably amended the rule in 2011, the first year I attended.

Comment

Why did Blair drop out them this year.. it had a bad block also
                              alone with a head... but he got the head(of course it could have
                              been some special block ... I dont know)

Comment

Working...
                              X