Lenco trans rules

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lenco trans rules

Stuck at home watching the live feed trying to save money to finish my galaxie in time for next year. Listening to Frieburger talk about no one wanting to run a lenco anymore I feel like the lenco is being punished for no good reason. If I read the rules correctly you pretty much get kicked straight to racing 7 second cars (modified, pro street, or unlimited) for even thinking lenco. Is it just lenco that gets your stock suspended car kicked to a higher class or does liberty do the same? I mean I know most of the autos have manual valve bodies etc.. So it's almost like a manual but IMHO leaving on a foot operated clutch is just cool and there should be a way to let 1000hp manual guys compete with the 1000hp auto guys in these stock suspension street car classes without planning on throwing 3 spare transmissions in the trailer because you are certain to grenade even the best t-56, top loader etc after a few trips into the 8s with a car that weighs in the 3500-4000lbs you'd expect a stock suspended car to weigh. Anyway this is all arm chair racing really as my car is a big block with a face plated t6060 and a bottom end built for boost... But no boost on it yet. So if I make it in next year I probably won't be competing for much more than fun... Anyway what are your thoughts on the lenco rules? If I'm missing something please take me to school! Thanks, -foo1

I think his references were based on the cars that ran Lenco transmissions in previous years have now switched to a Rossler 400.

Comment

Turbo's seem to be the way to go for forced induction and I think it's easier to build boost on the starting line by loading the engine against a converter. If you look at videos of Larry Larson's Chevy II it really pops and bangs at the starting line because you have to richen the mixture and retard the timing to build boost with a clutch car.

Comment

I don't believe the Lenco is illegal in any class, but like was said above the switch was made by a few. Larson went Rossler in the truck and Joe Barry went Rossler and added a 6 second time slip, entry into the 200mph club, and a 3rd place finish to his DW resume.
        1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
        1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Originally posted by BlueCuda340 View Post
          I don't believe the Lenco is illegal in any class, but like was said above the switch was made by a few. Larson went Rossler in the truck and Joe Barry went Rossler and added a 6 second time slip, entry into the 200mph club, and a 3rd place finish to his DW resume.

He also went to 96 mm turbos on a billet 5" bore spaced block. I know the rossler is a good transmission and is obviously strong as hell because not only was larry larson running it in his low six second car that doesn't weigh much... but so was farone in his care that's 4200lbs and so fast SFI doesn't have a cage certification for it at that weight.

I still like lencos they shift quick they launch on a clutch and they are strong as heck... i'd love a liberty too if i was sure i could street drive it that long.

And to your point if the rossler trans is that much better... why not bump cars with th400s / rossler th210XHD in them that didn't come stock out to a new class because they have an exotic trans?I'm just playing devils advocate really but i do feel like you get "punished" into one of the top 3 classes (which by the way is way better than straight to unlimited ) just by having a clutch trans that holds together.

Some people the power loss is less with a man trans... and they would be right... other then the huge/heavy lenco that has an enormous power loss.

I could be wrong but in my opinion getting any standard h pattern transmission to hold together for back to back to back runs in the 9s or better range especially in a heavy full bodied full interior car such as in the street classes... good friggin luck. but by all means if you know of one let me know.

Comment

you can get a liberty lsc5100 with a h pattern, and in clutch assisted , and it is streetable. as well as a g-force gf5r. i opted for the inline shifter and have done 2 drag weeks with it.
            Reading , Pa
            Good Guys rodders rep.
            "putting the seat down is women's work" Archie Bunker.
            Ban low performance drivers not high performance cars .

Comment

LS7GTO You have one of the best cars of DW.

Comment

Working...
              X