Good Luck and Safe Travels

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Good Luck and Safe Travels

Today is the day I would normally have my truck and trailer in process of loading up for the life experience that is Drag Week. This is of course after the requisite last minute thrash that inevitably happens when I start remembering the 20 little things I meant to do earlier in the year. As others who cannot make it this year, I’m pretty bummed that I’m not going, especially considering the significance of the 10th anniversary. I have been to and completed four years though so I can’t whine too much.

Waxing nostalgic, I went back and reread my adventure entries for 2011, ‘12, and ’13. It made me laugh thinking how someone from outside our psychotic group might perceive those experiences which still have an ending of…’had a great time’. Honestly, after reading some of the issues I and others went through, it doesn’t seem like an experience one would want to do again.

Adversity however is what makes this event thrive for me. As Jake once said, it’s us against Drag Week. Breakdowns and problems bring us together to troubleshoot, pool resources/ experience, and keep everybody on the road if at all possible. Helping others on the side of the road or having something that can keep someone going in the event is truly a great feeling for me. I have a ton of great memories so far and look forward to making more in the future.

For those of you on your first voyage with the DW family, I suggest you take in as much as you can. Try to remember to take a few minutes at each track and just look around to soak it in. It’s easy to get in a rush to hit the road but you really don’t want to miss out on the full experience. Maybe talk to at least one new car owner/ driver/ copilot at each stop. You’ll be surprised how friendly everyone is. This is definitely a no Poseur event where everybody is a pretty hardcore car person. You can make lifelong friends your first time out, simply by helping others and hanging out in the parking lot. These are what I call ‘Low Maintenance’ friends. It doesn’t matter that you have not spoken to them in six months or a year because when you see them that first time in the pits or staging lanes, the time gap vanishes and the DW connection sparks the handshake and smile. You may not even remember each other’s name, just the face and their car. That’s ok, we’re car guys and that’s how we are.

To my friends and all the veterans, keep an eye on the newbs and be open to letting them hang out or ‘caravan’ with you. I can tell you from experience that it is a huge help. Steve and Bob in the bitchin’ ProCharged S10 Blazer took me and my friend under their wing that first year in 2009 and I am eternally grateful. Showing us the ropes and guiding us along made all the difference in the world. Besides that, have a blast and good luck with new personal bests and in your classes.

To everyone, safe travels on the track and in between. The event helps me completely unplug from the reality of daily life as it requires a ton of effort just to finish with our highly modified entries. I hope it does the same for you. I'll be watching/ listening in the shop while I work on my junk so put on a good show!

Rich

Rich

Drag Week Survivor 2009, 2011, 2012, 2013 - 2nd Place - Pro Street N/A, 2017

We'll miss you Rich!
    My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

Well said and excellent advice Rich!

and this:
      Originally posted by Dignlif View Post
      Honestly, after reading some of the issues I and others went through, it doesn’t seem like an experience one would want to do again.
      I know and my problems were not even that bad compared to many!
      Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

VERY well put!
        DW2013 - DNF (Gateway - trans failure)
        DW2014 - SR BB/PA class winner!
        DW2015 - Finished in 1 piece (for once!)
        DW2016 - Still "Fox Free" ;)

Comment

Ha yeah Randal, I think I titled that picture with 'the two silver legends' or something like that.
          Rich

Comment

sure will miss seeing you this year. I'm currently down to 32 thinks left on my "to do" list.
            Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

I too am out this year, really sinking in this week as I should be packing and getting on the road...... I feel your pain
              Dragweek 2012 DNF in Dallas
              Dragweek 2013 Finished 3rd place modified N/A 10.53 @ 126
              Dragweek 2015 Finished tough trip 10.39 @ 131
              Fastest AMC 2013/ 2015

Comment

Best of luck to all that will be there... safe travels... have FUN...
                hopefully I'll be there next year

Comment

Leaving early tomorrow morning. Hoping to knock out most of the drive tomorrow and finish it up Saturday. (20 hours, 1280 miles total). Looking forward to meeting everyone there and hopefully making it the experience of a lifetime. Safe travels to everyone else heading out and hope I get to meet the rest of you at a future event.

Comment

Rich, I really enjoyed reading your past years experiences, reminds of all the great times and new friends DW brings. Kinda makes me mad at myself for not going again this year.

Jason
                    2011 Drag Week (unlimited) 5th place 10.89 avg.
                    2012 Drag Week (unlimited) 5th place 10.55 avg.
                    all time best 10.27 @ 127

Comment

Crap. Was hoping you would be there Jason.

Comment

Originally posted by Evillish View Post
                        Leaving early tomorrow morning. Hoping to knock out most of the drive tomorrow and finish it up Saturday. (20 hours, 1280 miles total). Looking forward to meeting everyone there and hopefully making it the experience of a lifetime. Safe travels to everyone else heading out and hope I get to meet the rest of you at a future event.
                        Best of luck to you and enjoy, it's a hoot! Hope to meet you down the road too. Tony, Jason - yup the closer the week has gotten the stronger the desire to be headed there has been.
                        Rich

Comment

You said it Rich!

Comment

Originally posted by squirrel View Post
                            We'll miss you Rich!

X2

Bill Lamb

Comment

Working...
                            X