Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Paging Jim T. (Beige 70 Skylark from DW2013 DD)

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Paging Jim T. (Beige 70 Skylark from DW2013 DD)

If you are on here Jim, can you PM me? Got some questions I wanted to ask about your trans. Or, if anyone knows Jim, can you put me in touch with him?

Thanks,

Zach
    1968 Biscayne
    406 / TH350 / 12-Bolt 3.42
    13.17 @ 104mph.

I got Jim's number. I'll pm you.

Comment

PM'd you back, A-Mac.
      1968 Biscayne
      13.17 @ 104mph.

Comment

I know it is a built 2004r because I asked him. He told me their local guy put it together and it was working well.

That's me in the boonie hat. I loved the car and it was running deep twelves.
        Rich

sigpic

Comment

Yep. All of the above Rich. I was riding shotgun with my friend in his 65 Chevelle. We were waiting in the tech line on Sunday and Jim was just ahead of us. I saw he was shifting from the column and was curious. So I asked him what he was running, when he answered "200-4R", my ears perked up. There's a small circle of guys that like the 200-4R and when he told me that's what he was running in that big Buick behind the torquey 455, I knew I could do the same with my mildly torquey SBC in my big, heavy car. I just want to pick his brain for a few more details on his build before I dive into mine.

A-Mac, you mentioned you had his #, but haven't passed it along. I'd like to get it if you can share. Thanks.
          1968 Biscayne
          13.17 @ 104mph.

Comment

Originally posted by RaysnCayne View Post
            Yep. All of the above Rich. I was riding shotgun with my friend in his 65 Chevelle. We were waiting in the tech line on Sunday and Jim was just ahead of us. I saw he was shifting from the column and was curious. So I asked him what he was running, when he answered "200-4R", my ears perked up. There's a small circle of guys that like the 200-4R and when he told me that's what he was running in that big Buick behind the torquey 455, I knew I could do the same with my mildly torquey SBC in my big, heavy car. I just want to pick his brain for a few more details on his build before I dive into mine.

I'm kind of a 200-4r aficionado myself, I assembled one for my Regal. I really like the way it turned out. I would get a copy of the ck performance manual and an atsg service manual. I didnt do everything in either but they are good guidelines. Let me know if I can make some suggestions.

My Build: http://www.ihadav8.com/forum/index.php?topic=3729.0
            Rich

sigpic

Comment

Thanks for the info/link Rich. Very informative. And, pretty scary to this average gear head. One one hand, I certainly can't afford the turn-key $2,500 Stage II from Extreme Automatics and additional $5-600 for the TC. But at the same time, I'm very gun-shy about attempting to rebuild a 200-4R trans in my garage. I built my SBC and my 12 bolt. But I feel I have to draw the line at a trans rebuild. There's just SO many little pieces/parts that I could screw up. I've heard more than a few recommend the CK Perf book. But again, I've never done a trans in my life and I don't have any of the special tools required. And I'm not an engineer. But I bookmarked your build and will study it more in depth to see if I can wrap my head around all those details and make myself brave enough to try it.

BTW, what would you say your total investment is in your trans? Also define "awesome deal" on that TC. ; )
              1968 Biscayne
              13.17 @ 104mph.

Comment

Working...
              X