Inconsolable

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Inconsolable

I just withdrew from Drag Week 2014, and that's how I feel.

I've never had more bad luck with any project, ever. I don't know if the GTO is cursed, or I'm cursed, but either way time has run out and there's too many problems on the "to do" list for a one man outfit (that's also out of money at this point) to fix. The engine is making bad noises, there's a bunch of iron filings on the oil drain plug, and the clutch has been nothing short of a nightmare itself.

Drag Week has been on my bucket list ever since I first heard about it, 8 or 9 years ago. This year the track locations and logistics of my job finally allowed me to attend, all indications suggested this would be the best Drag Week ever, and I was fortunate enough to get registered in the 8 minute fury. Sadly, that's where my good fortune ended. Taking my daily driver "16 second" Mustang as a backup didn't seem like an honourable idea when the waiting list is so long.

So there will be one less Bang Shift-er there this year.
    There will be one less stick car.
    There will be one less Pontiac engined Pontiac.
    There will be one less old school, radio delete musclecar.
    And there will be one more hopeful wannabe sitting at a computer watching the live streaming, wishing he was actually there.

Hopefully a deserving car gets bumped in from my withdrawal. And for anyone still needing motel rooms, I'll be cancelling mine tomorrow and posting the locations.

Have fun without me guys. Again.

Ed

Man that sucks. Come sit in the stands with the rest of us gawkers.
    Bill in Kansas

Comment

What he said.You already have time off.Drive the Mustang come meet fellow BSers.Missed the cutoff here.Vacation scheduled,hotels booked etc.My first year was 07.Missed 08&09 but been every year since then..My wife said something about me being an asshole while watching the Live Feed those 2 years.Blocked that out.LOL.My brothers first year was 2011.He too missed getting in.We are still going,watching and meeting our old friends and making new ones.

Comment

I feel for you. Last year was my cursed year. Problem after problem cropped up with the car. Random stuff. I didn't toast an engine, but literally halfway to Bowling Green my clutch's pressure plate seized up. A day's drive in, and a days drive away, and the car didn't make it. I had a half page list of line items of things that failed within two months of Drag Week. The failed alternator, followed up with a broken alternator mounting bolt on the way to Drag Week were the only two correlated failures.

I hopped in a rental car, showed up and rode shotgun with some folks. There is a decent chance you could network between now and Sunday to ride shot gun with someone. I can't make it this year because I'm out of vacation, but if by some miracle I had time off, I'd drive out as a walk in, and if I still didn't get in, I was going to put my thumb out in the wind and see what Drag Weeker would pick me up.
        Escaped on a technicality.

Comment

Yah, that sucks. I really hate to hear you're not going to make it. I was looking forward to seeing your Goat and meeting another Pontiac nut.
          Drag Week 2014 SR/BB/NA 11.12 @ 118.56 average
          Drag Week 2015 SR/BB/NA 10.84 @ 124.97 average

Comment

sorry to hear that wolf. im with these guys come along for the fun!

Comment

Wolf..... if you show-up and find the Blown II Chevy Nova, I'll mix you a Crown and Croak , in preparation for a great evening of BS'ing!!

Comment

Wolf..... if you show-up and find the Blown II Chevy Nova, I'll mix you a Crown and Croak , in preparation for a great evening of BS'ing!!

Comment

not good at all, but come on and follow the madness first hand.
                  Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

Originally posted by Firechickenman View Post
                    Yah, that sucks. I really hate to hear you're not going to make it. I was looking forward to seeing your Goat and meeting another Pontiac nut.
                    X2

Comment

Originally posted by greenXpress View Post
                      not good at all, but come on and follow the madness first hand.
                      If you still have your rooms and time to get away, you'll have a good time even if you're not "in". We followed the first three days last year and had a blast. Wife even got a little teary-eyed when we left to go home on Wednesday.
                      Drag Week 2014 SR/BB/NA 11.12 @ 118.56 average
                      Drag Week 2015 SR/BB/NA 10.84 @ 124.97 average

Comment

Come follow along anyways!! That's always my backup plan.
                        '91 Trans Am GTA: 402ci LS2, faceplated T56, 9", and nitrous.
                        2013 Drag Week SURVIVOR! - SR/SB/PA & 2014 Drag Week SURVIVOR! - SR/SB/NA

Comment

you guys are killing me. I'm thinking of coming out to Tulsa now for the start. And Topeka is right on my way home.....

How accessible are the pits/staging lanes/etc. for the non-participants?

Comment

Pits are no problem.. lots of spectators walk around them.. staging lanes, not so much..

C'mon out!
                            DW2013 - DNF (Gateway - trans failure)
                            DW2014 - SR BB/PA class winner!
                            DW2015 - Finished in 1 piece (for once!)
                            DW2016 - Still "Fox Free" ;)

Comment

After Tulsa/Topeka stops you may re-think the rest of the week.

Comment

Working...
                              X