Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Who besides me doing first testing in Tulsa?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Who besides me doing first testing in Tulsa?

After 3 consecutive rained out TNT's at local tracks, it's looking like I'll be making my first passes at Tulsa. Since I'm more in the mode of going to have a good time with all you guys rather than planning to win, it's all good. With all our local tracks closed thus weekend due to the US Nationals in Indy, I've accepted it ain't happening before Tulsa. Who else is in a similar position?

I have not tested the latest round of mods. I ran an 11.51 @119 at PBIR in early June when it was at 520 whp. I am now at 614 whp so I am curious to see how much I picked up. I have no rollbar so I am limited anyway.

Comment

Our gang is hitting a local TNT on Friday the 5th in a last ditch effort to break our junk before Sunday. lol
      Life is short. Be a do'er and not a shoulda done'er.
      1969 Galaxie 500 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...ild-it-s-alive
      1998 Mustang GT https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...60-and-a-turbo
      1983 Mustang GT 545/552/302/Turbo302/552 http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...485-bbr-s-83gt
      1973 F-250 BBF Turbo Truck http://www.bangshift.com/forum/forum...uck-conversion
      1986 Ford Ranger EFI 545/C6 https://bangshift.com/forum/forum/ba...tooth-and-nail

Comment

That always seems to be the case for me . . . (YES SQUIRREL, MY FAULT!)

Back in 2012, I had intended to run my hated "storebought:" "field-filler" "slow" car showroom stock in the annual bracket race at the Mid-America Shelby and Ford Performance Nationals. That would have been its first time on the strip. But I broke an aftermarket replacement front brake rotor at Hallett the day before and couldn't fix it in time for the 1320 action.

So about a week or so before DW '12, when I got "the call" off of the waiting list, I thrashed the car to get it as ready as I could in the time I had. I ran out of time to test it before DW '12. So the car's maiden pass was on Monday at TUL . . . I forgot to turn off the traction control and she bogged, bucked and wheel-hopped to a thrilling 17-second snoozer. What an egg I laid in my DW debut! (YES SQUIRREL, MY FAULT!)

In '13, I didn't "pull the plug" on building the "Speedway 7" T-bird until it was nearly time to leave for Bowling Green. Thus, I didn't even have the replacement Zex nitrous "black box" or any of the nitrous kit wiring on the car, much less any time for testing when I left home. Virtually all of the "preparation" was to correct the violent wheel-hop that plagued the car the year before. Due to a variety of problems (YES SQUIRREL, MY FAULT!), I didn't get a pass on nitrous until the last day of the event.

And this year, I had assumed until a couple of days ago I'd be running the T-Bird, so I've done nothing to prepare anything else (except find out that my new front skinnies and slicks off of Speedway 7 won't fit on that infamous Mustang (brakes are too big in front and swaybar hits the 10x15 wheels in the rear) . . . ) (YES SQUIRREL, MY FAULT!)

Comment

Originally posted by Hooter View Post
          After 3 consecutive rained out TNT's at local tracks, it's looking like I'll be making my first passes at Tulsa. Since I'm more in the mode of going to have a good time with all you guys rather than planning to win, it's all good. With all our local tracks closed thus weekend due to the US Nationals in Indy, I've accepted it ain't happening before Tulsa. Who else is in a similar position?
          You've got nothing to worry about. Everything in your car is new! Not some wore out junk like mine (well, except the heads). I'm with ya on not winning anything. If I can make it through the week with me and the car still alive it'll be a big win!
          Drag Week 2014 SR/BB/NA 11.12 @ 118.56 average
          Drag Week 2015 SR/BB/NA 10.84 @ 124.97 average

Comment

Originally posted by Moms Car View Post
            I have not tested the latest round of mods. I ran an 11.51 @119 at PBIR in early June when it was at 520 whp. I am now at 614 whp so I am curious to see how much I picked up. I have no rollbar so I am limited anyway.
            Not sure of the specifics of the rule since it doesn't apply to me but isn't some of the late model stuff good to 10.00 without a rollbar?
            Drag Week 2014 SR/BB/NA 11.12 @ 118.56 average
            Drag Week 2015 SR/BB/NA 10.84 @ 124.97 average

Comment

Originally posted by Firechickenman View Post

Not sure of the specifics of the rule since it doesn't apply to me but isn't some of the late model stuff good to 10.00 without a rollbar?
              No. Not at DW. The unmodifed late model exception to NHRA safety regs only applies to on specific "street legal" series. Google it . . . this topic has come up several times here.

Comment

Originally posted by 38P View Post
                No. Not at DW. The unmodifed late model exception to NHRA safety regs only applies to on specific "street legal" series. Google it . . . this topic has come up several times here.
                You got that right sir!

Comment

I'm trying to hit the local tracks this weekend... we'll see.
                  '91 Trans Am GTA: 402ci LS2, faceplated T56, 9", and nitrous.
                  2013 Drag Week SURVIVOR! - SR/SB/PA & 2014 Drag Week SURVIVOR! - SR/SB/NA

Comment

Originally posted by Hooter View Post
                    Just got called out to go work!!

I'll be right there with you!! Co pilot will street test and get road worthiness done, but track passes may have to wait for me on Friday or Saturday before DW 2014.

Comment

I know of a certain 79 blue nova with a new engine in it.. it has some road miles, but no track time til Tulsa!!
                      Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
                      Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
                      Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
                      Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH 11.87@112

Comment

I have been testing but spun bad and went 10.08 and my limit is 10.0 so I got a feeling if the track is hooking I will be to fast and will have to work on my tune to slow it down. Probably just pull a couple degrees of timing in the upper rpm's should do it hopefully.
                        78 se trans am,67 rs ss camaro,69 BBO Javelin,55 chevy and a bunch of other junk that needs finished.

Comment

i'm planning to be testing at Mokan tomorrow night. i tried to drive it to work today but it got hot and popped the fan fuse. guess the fan has a hard time pushing air forward..... my brother tinkered with it while i'm at work and popped the intake boots off a few times as soon as it gets into boost.. still some bugs to work out. i see some "sick" days in my near future!
                          1980 Turbo T/A - Turbocharged 408ci Pontiac. survived DW 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015

Comment

Originally posted by eligould View Post
                            i'm planning to be testing at Mokan tomorrow night. i tried to drive it to work today but it got hot and popped the fan fuse. guess the fan has a hard time pushing air forward..... my brother tinkered with it while i'm at work and popped the intake boots off a few times as soon as it gets into boost.. still some bugs to work out. i see some "sick" days in my near future!
                            Get some good band clamps and tighten the shit out of them. I have the cheapo cx racing silicone boots. It's been holding 18psi of boost so far with out a failure. Damn I probably just jinxed my self.
                            78 se trans am,67 rs ss camaro,69 BBO Javelin,55 chevy and a bunch of other junk that needs finished.

Comment

Originally posted by eligould View Post

Spray the inside of the boot with Rave hair spray... and good clamps help too ;)

Comment

Working...
                              X