Can't wait for Topeka

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Can't wait for Topeka

I am a professional spectator at Drag week. My friends and I try to make it to at least 1 city to see the action. Tuesday Sept. 9th will be that day along with the finals on Friday/Saturday in Tulsa.
    Tuesday is a really special day as it will be the first car show/race that my dad , brother and I will attend in my 50 years on this earth. Every year I rattle on about what has transpired over the week to my family and friends until they have had their fill. My dad and brother are not hardcore car guys but are interested in all the stories of ingenuity and personal triumphs that I have told them about.
    With any luck I will run in 2 years, but for now I will enjoy the seat in the stands. This thing is the best bang for the buck event for 10 years running! Good Luck to all and thanks for the break from the groundhog day world we live in.
    Bill in Kansas.

Originally posted by bigbadjav View Post
    it will be the first car show/race that my dad , brother and I will attend in my 50 years on this earth.
    That's awesome. There are lots of us who'd like their dads to still be around so we could do that. That will be a very special memory, I'm sure.

I'm probably going to take my grandson with me for a couple of days this year . . . I'm just hoping that some of those people on here who enjoy "busting my hump" on-line will refrain from it in front of him.

Comment

My favorite racetrack... bar none!
      Act your age, not your shoe size. - Prince

Comment

Bill in Kansas, that is a cool attitude you have there. And to top it off your priorities are right. Bringing your Dad is special. I can say that as I am bringing my son to DW. First time at DW for either of us. My son is signed up to drive the races so he's pumped about that part too, however the most anticipated highlights are the people we will meet (and I now hope that includes yourself and your family members) plus the challenge of, as one other participant put it here on BS recently, "driving the car onto the trailer under it's own power after Friday night." We will be driving a light yellow colored 1970 Challenger so please feel welcome at our pit. Hope to see you in Topeka!

Comment

We'll try to put on a good show for you!
          My fabulous web page

"If it don't go, chrome it!" --Stroker McGurk

Comment

I too am super excited to make it to Topeka! my buddy Jason and I hit the first day at KCIR the first year and at least one day each year for the next couple. He is registered this year, but I cant close my shop for the whole week. so I am closing tuesday and headed down. I hope my son gets to make the trip with me, if he can get time off from his 2 jobs.

Speedy, Im excited to shake your hand too.
            Charles

Comment

The extended forecast for drag week looks good with highs varying between 85-78 degrees. Hope there right. Will make for great spectating and driving this year.
              78 se trans am,67 rs ss camaro,69 BBO Javelin,55 chevy and a bunch of other junk that needs finished.

Comment

My dad rode shotgun with me last year and is doing it again this year, good times! This car thing is his fault anyways lol Just a fair warning, I went to watch one day of drag week in Tulsa 2011. I have participated every year since. It's a disease.
                1968 Plymouth Barracuda Formula S 340 with a 360
                1997 Jeep Cherokee off road toy/driver. lifted, lockers, stroked 4.0

Comment

Stop by the John Deere truck Bill and say hi. Will be my first time in Topeka, and 3rd Drag Week. And yes it is an addiction.
                  Will be year 3 for my pit crew, Cameron. (15 year old grandson)
                  Drag Week 2012 (wet paint and no transmission but finished) Drag Week 2013 Daily Driver finished in middle of pack (again) Drag Week 2014 #56 of 126 Daily Drivers. (getting closer to the 32)

Comment

Since I didn't find about these forums until late last year I'm REALLY anxious for the live feed this year. Does that give anyone the warm fuzzy or am I just an annoying wannabee?
                    My hobby is needing a hobby.

Comment

We're professional Drag Week spectators too, but this year we'll be on the Western Scenic Tour..........gotta work on the timing of these events! Anyway, good luck to all the competitors, and safe travels to all.
                      Ed, Mary, & 'Earl'
                      HRPT LongHaulers, 08, 09, 10, 11, 12, 13, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19.

Inside every old person is a young person wondering, "what the hell happened?"

The man at the top of the mountain didn't fall there. -Vince Lombardi

Comment

Retracting my last post of forecast as I just looked at extended forecast for Tulsa and it's back up to high 90's on registration day and opening day of racing. Man I hope it changes again to some 80's degree weather.
                        78 se trans am,67 rs ss camaro,69 BBO Javelin,55 chevy and a bunch of other junk that needs finished.

Comment

Kansas Bill, I took my Dad with me for DW '11 and '12, then my father in law last year. Only reason my Dad didn't go last year was because he's getting a little old he say's..

It was GREAT times and good "bonding" time.. Hope you have a great time with the different generations!
                          Dan, Co-Pilot Drag Week 06
                          Drag Week '11 just Me and my Dad in my 53 Chevy, which was his Dads old truck
                          Drag Week '12 plus one day...Me and Dad in my 53 again....
                          Drag Week 2013 with my father in law.. New BEST ET/MPH 11.87@112

Comment

I will look you all up in Topeka. I also was at the first day at KCIR with about 50 other spectators. One of the best Drag Week memories ever. Larry driving straight in and whipping off an 8 second pass along with Steve's crazy Caprice Wagon that sounded like a top Fuel car made the day for me. Every year there is something new.
                            Bill in Kansas

Comment

I was also there at KCIR for the first day in 2005. After watching, I was ready to be in it the next year. Well, I didn't follow through and didn't enter. Last year my wife and I went to watch in BG, Indy, and St.L and once again I wanted to be part of it. This year I'm in!
                              Drag Week 2014 SR/BB/NA 11.12 @ 118.56 average
                              Drag Week 2015 SR/BB/NA 10.84 @ 124.97 average

Comment

Working...
                              X